Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Bolton Hardware metal lathe?

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 8049 times

Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Subscriber

Liked 114 Times in 32 Posts
Default Bolton Hardware metal lathe?

im looking at a new 13x40 metal lathe sold by bolton hardware, in california , i believe . does anyone have one of these ? i realize these are foriegn made , but i still havent found a decent lathe that size in the kansas city area . dale
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2011, 10:13 PM
Subscriber

Liked 41 Times in 24 Posts
Default Re: bolton hardware metal lathe ?

You'll be a lot happier if you wait until you find a good old US made lathe. They show up regularly on Craigs List and Ebay.

Mel
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 12:57 AM
Registered-III

Liked 873 Times in 260 Posts

Could you post a link to the lathe?
Old 06-02-2011, 07:29 AM
Subscriber

thanks mel , ive watched craigs list for a long time , and the only one ive found is a 10 '' atlas , which is smaller than what i want for 1600.00 . ive sold my WELL worn 11'' south bend so now im looking hard for another one . im really leery of imported lathes . dale

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

their web address is www.boltonhardware.com .im just an amature , but i just dont like the idea of ordering a lathe without seeing it in person , especially a foreign made one . i dont think it will take much to talk me out of it , and keep looking around locally . dale
Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Look at ENCO's , www.enco.com , imports lathes. I have had one of their table top mills for 27 year with few problem. A friend of mine has a Enco lathe that I have NOT used but he and his son have used with no issues. The few questions I have had them ask about was HOW to do a job they could not figure out.

Kent
Old 06-02-2011, 11:08 AM
Registered-II

Liked 261 Times in 94 Posts

Grizzly is selling new South Bend lathes. I saw them last month in the Bellingham show room. I think they are made in Taiwan. Comparing the standard Grizz lathes like I have to the SB is like night and day. Controls are sooo smoth. Wish I had the money. It would be lot's easier to do quality work. I make my Grizzly work but it's no LaBlonde (my favorite during my brief stint in a machine shop). If you have the bucks consider the new South Bend but I've cussed at but been happy with my standard Grizzly lathe for years. For the price of a new SB I have a lathe, mill drill and all the tooling (probably the most expensive part) but if my ship comes in..... Oh and this is one of those areas where bigger is better. I seldom wish I had a smaller lathe but I'm constantly wishing I had a bigger, slower one.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:54 PM
Registered-III

Liked 513 Times in 203 Posts

I like my 70+ year old Atlas-Clausing 13", wouldn't trade it for any of the new imports.

Find a few of them out there, fairly regular.

Jim
Old 06-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Subscriber

i got an enco catalog last week , was comparing theres to a compatable grizzly and

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 PM ----------

dont know how i hit the wrong button , but i did . anyhow i got an enco catalog last week and compared there 13x40 to grizzlys 13x40 and basically they looked the same except enco was 1250.00 cheaper . but , i bought a 10'' grizzly contractors table saw 10 years ago and its the toughest saw ive ever had . going to be a tough choise . dale

---------- Post added at 05:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

got a new grizzly catalog also and looked at the south bend . but at 16250.00 iwould have to learn how to cook and eat dirt for twenty years . they are having their scratch and dent sale in springfield mo the 11th of this month , think ill go down and see what they have before making a choice . dale

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:34 PM ----------

ive been looking for about a year and half , and have found nothing . they just dont part with them and when you find one for sale , its worn out worse than mine . some day tho ill get something . dale
Old 06-03-2011, 09:22 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,202 Times in 1,063 Posts

Dale,
Here in the mid-west we do not have the manufacturing plants that guys on the east and west coast have/had where these better used lathes come from.
I QUIT going in to the Grizzly store in Springfield. If it is not for woodworking, they are likely NOT to have it.

Kent
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered-III

Liked 873 Times in 260 Posts
Default Re: Bolton Hardware metal lathe?

I am have not been around the Bolton lathe you ask about, but Carter Machine in Portland, Oregon has been selling the Enco and Jet lathes for decades. I bought my first micrometer from Carter Machine almost 40 years ago. I don't know if he has retired, because he was talking about it the last time I spoke to him. I moved to another town 18 years ago. Any way he has been selling the Enco and Jet bench lathes to the live steam enthusast for decades and there are lots of steam engines running that were built on those lathes. Most buy the Enco lathe, because of the lower price.

You don't post a link to the lathe and I assume this is the lathe in question?

http://www.boltonhardware.com/catego...ant-system.php

The add doesn't state what the spindle mount is. I would hope it a "D" spindle mount like a D1-3 or D1-4. Pictures tend to make me think it might be a thread on spindle. The manual doesn't show a clear picture and no where have I seen a mention of a spindle mount. For the selling price it should be a "D" spindle mount of either D1-3 or D1-4. Due to the adapter plates on the chucks in the picture I don't think it has a D spindle. It could be an "A" series spindle, but can't prove that either. D and A spindles are both good while a thread on is a deal killer.
The next thing is the fact there are two sets of jaws for the 3 jaw chuck. Means a cheap chuck to get you started, but you will need to buy a decent 3 jaw down the road with the 2 piece jaws. This will add to the cost. Also the cross slide travel isn't mentioned. This often means the cross slide travel is short and the lathe may not be able to face to center the largest diameter it can swing.

( Later found the manual says 7 7/8 cross travel which is better than a lot of them out there. Gives a facing diameter of 15.75 inches. )

The mount for the steady rest in the picture looks like it doesn't match the lathe? I have not seen a steady rest that would mount like that. Also the tool post is shown on the lathe but is listed as an option. The 4 jaw chuck has a price listed as an added option at the bottom of the page, a long with the live center and face plate. Other brands with a lower price have these already included in the price. The other thing is all of their reviews are linked to Ebay. Last time I wanted to leave a bad review Ebay wouldn't let me.

I don't know of your experience with lathes or mills. So I suggest buying new. I don't think I would buy that lathe due to a lack of information given and high price.

My thoughts!

Richard W.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bolton Hardware metal lathe?

thanks richard , thats the advice i was looking for . ive had a lathe for only a couple of years , so im just a beginner at 63 years old . i mainly use it for pins rollers bushings etc , for gas engines . i too looked at the reviews and they were for everything BUT their lathes , so think i will not consider them . i will call enco next week and talk to them about the spindle mounts and cross travel you talked about , and they have a four jaw included in the price , plus free shipping . i have a friend who just bought a grizzly 12x36 gunsmithing lathe and really likes it , so will liik at one when i go to springfield next weekend , as they have the stand included plus 4 jaw chuck . lots of lathes to choose from out there . dale