Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

John Deere STX38 wont fire up

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 3929 times

Old 06-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default John Deere STX38 wont fire up

I have a STX38 JD that even when not sitting on the seat spins the starter and flywheel. I have no idea what I'm doing here so any help is awesome. I replaced the seat switch and the starter. It worked great the last time I used it 2 weeks ago and when I tried to start it that is what I got. I changed the sparked plug put a little gas in the carb it back fired but that was it. I replaced the seat switch and the starter. Sometimes the key didn't work in the pass unless I wiggled it a little bit. I'm a 52 woman with 6 boys and a big yard. I don't want to pay John Deere. This is a used lawn mower I inherited from my dad I know he had engine problems in the past and I'm pretty sure he got ripped off when he took it in for repairs anybody out there that can help
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 09:18 PM
Subscriber

Liked 877 Times in 459 Posts
Default Re: STX38 wont fire up

Provided its getting fuel it sounds like a bad ignition module. Those Kohler Commands are known to have them fail. Also replace the spark plug with an NGK BKR5E and try it again. If it has spark the fuel solenoid on the bottom of the carb may have stuck closed cutting fuel off and needs to be removed and cleaned. Hope this helps.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:48 AM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,198 Times in 1,060 Posts
Default Re: John Deere STX38 wont fire up

Also if you are having problems with the ignition switch I have seen them fail putting 12 volts on to the mag. coil which is instant DEATH for a mag. coil. Your whole problem could just be the switch. Replace it first and You MUST buy one for your STX38 application. Almost ALL Lawn and Garden ignition switch use the same 5 pin connector BUT the switch are connected internally different.
If you had the JD Part number of the switch there is most likely a after market source. I need a key for a JD 180 I traded for. I found a whole switch at my local small engine dealer who is also a STENS dealer. Bought the switch and it turned out the key fit the switch that was in the tractor. Switch retailed for about $16.00

Kent
Old 06-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Subscriber

Liked 414 Times in 194 Posts
Default Re: John Deere STX38 wont fire up

Most likely not your problem if you had it running 2 weeks ago.
I bought an STX38 from a lady about a month ago because it wouldn't start after winter. When I got it home and started checking things, it started but would not respond to the throttle and quit. I found the butterfly shaft stuck, a little lube and wiggleing and now it runs great. Also had to clean the mouse nest out of it and patch the plug wire, no insulation on 2-3" of the wire.
Of coarse, the hood broke the 2nd time I mowed the lawn, a common problem with these I have heard.
PT