Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Just purchased my first H&M (Maytag 92) I'm new and looking for direction

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1268 times

Old 06-21-2011, 09:33:09 PM
Registered-I

Default Just purchased my first H&M (Maytag 92) I'm new and looking for direction

Hey All !!

Just purchased a 1935 Maytag 92 this afternoon. It's running and starts on 1st or 2nd kick and I'm happy I picked it up. (smokes some so I need to know what I can do to lessen it)

My whole intention is to make this my introduction to rebuilding a small motor and customize a set up to run a 6qt White Mountain Ice Cream Maker for my daughter's high school graduation party June 2012. (PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU CAN GIVE MY ANY... I mean ANY pointers so I dont screw up either the rebuild or the Ice Cream maker idea)

I will end up posting on the forum questions on where to find quality used or repro parts, tips on the ice cream maker set up and whether or not there are others in the very SW corner of Wisconsin or close driving distance that can help get me going in the right direction.

Completely thrilled with the challenge before me and looking forward to meeting those on the forum!!

Thanks,
Mark aka eworth
The Following User Says Thank You to eworth For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-2011, 10:33:19 PM

Thanked 17,691 Times in 5,297 Posts
Default Re: Just purchased my first H&M (Maytag 92) I'm new and looking for direction

Welcome to Stak Mark.......

There are a lot of forums to navigate but there is a Maytag Forum and also a Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles forum......just the places to get your questions answered.......
Old 06-21-2011, 10:53:59 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Just purchased my first H&M (Maytag 92) I'm new and looking for direction

In case you don't have service data for your Maytag engine, you can down load a manual from this site - http://www.oldengine.org/docs/Maytag_SM.pdf

For Maytag engine drawings, part list, and serial numbers, go to this site -
http://www.maytagshed.com/engdraws.html
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

welcome to the stak Mark. Bill K
Old 06-21-2011, 11:06:20 PM
Registered-III

All Maytags smoke! The 16:1 oil mixture and the ignition hit and miss governing will guarantee that you will get a lot of smoke. You can't reduce the oil ratio much because the Maytags have sleeve bearings that require plenty of lubrication, unlike modern engines which have roller and needle bearings. Tom Graves, a sponsor on this site has a lot of pictures of ice cream rigs on his site which should give you an idea or two. One thing about setting up a White Mountain freezer is that the input shaft needs to turn at about 50 RPM for best results, so you will need to set up a reduction system to reduce your engine speed to that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Martin For This Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 10:01:15 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 4,663 Times in 3,020 Posts
Exclamation Re: Just purchased my first H&M (Maytag 92) I'm new and looking for direction

Welcome to the Stak! While idling Maytags do smoke a lot, one running under a good load, such as your proposed ice cream maker, should load it to the point where it will not smoke much. To get 50 RPM on the mixer, you will have to reduce the aproximately 1150 RPM that the 92 usually runs at - a 23:1 reduction. This can be done in 2 stages, using V belt pulleys of different diameters, among with a clutch arrangement. Good luck with your project, and keep us posred on your progress!
Andrew
Old 06-24-2011, 08:32:47 PM
Registered-I

Wow everybody, thanks for the warm welcome and direction. Looking forward to learning lots here on the forum. Can't wait to meet some of you down the road!!

Mark