New Server!
Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Blacksmithing and Metallurgy
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy Hand-wrought manufacture of metal objects, extracting metals from their ores, or purifying metals and casting useful items from the metals.

Blacksmithing and Metallurgy

Sheet wax for loose pattern casting parts

I use a local foundry around here and always get great results without a pattern. I want a sheet...

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3303 times

Old 06-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,596 Times in 588 Posts
Default Sheet wax for loose pattern casting parts

I use a local foundry around here and always get great results without a pattern. I want a sheet metal part made into a casting and the foundryman told me to get some sheet wax to build up the thickness on the part. Has anyone ever tried this? Any tips?

http://www.freemansupply.com/PS266ThermoStableS.htm
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SDP:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2011, 07:31 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Sheet wax for loose pattern casting parts

For the record they have bought up most of the suppliers of wax products for lost and art foundry casting and general casting in the US and Canada. If you have regular block or chunk wax for casting. You can do an old art casting trick.

As molten wax will stick to everything but water, All you need is section of clean smooth concrete.

A electric frying pan, from the second hand store, a ladle and a second hand sauce pan/pot. I say second hand as they are cheap and you won't have to spend hours cleaning them up to place back in the kitchen.

I know somebody that tried that his wife was happy as she got a new set of pots and pans along with the latest electric flying pan!

And no it wasn't me

You heat the wax up till it melts temps will vary on the brand and type of casting wax. Ladle some into the pan and as it cools wet the concrete down and brush/sweep it clean. Adding more water.

When the wax cools enough, when tipping the pot and the wax forms a skin pour the wax on the layer of wet concrete. Wetting if needed before pouring.
The wax will solidify quickly, the cold wax will peel itself off the concrete.

Now I have been told by somebody, but never have tried it that any smooth wet hard surface will work and they added damns on 4 sides and poured sheets that had some more thickness. They used a 3ft square slab of marble.

This is their hobbyist web site
They have the webs best videos and information on the web on both sites.

They also have machinable wax and other interesting materials
I have a Freemans with in a 15 drive of my house.

Whether it is for foundry or jewelry lost wax casting it is probably a Freeman formulated product, just re-branded.
Hope this helps some.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PTSideshow:
Old 06-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered-III

Are you talking about adding the wax to the sheet metal part? As I can understand what the founder is talking about. Since castings in the thinness range of sheet metal wouldn't last long after they come out of investment material.

As with most things in the metal working hobby, they are a little move involved that can be posted in a few lines.

Working the wax for model/pattern making is an art form in itself.

If there is any interest, I can copy and paste some of my book reviews on wax working, the techniques are the same as is the tools no matter what the subject matter?

The books deal with sculpture and jewelry making.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Registered-III

Some of the forms of wax available, it works for jewelry and model making.
It also is available in pound blocks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PTSideshow:
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered-III

You also can get electric pens for craving, soldering irons or the old plastic cutting hot knifes.

Files work, but wood rasp type micro sized are better for rough out. Micro or other small wood carving tools work.

Bees wax is to soft, paraffin can be used but not for detail work.

There are additives that can be added to wax to adjust the melting point, and hardness.

Machinable wax is formulated for its clean cutting,self lubrication, non clogging the cutters, and details they do this by adding polythene film to the wax mix.

Finally, to get a smooth surface on the wax model lighter fluid is used to smooth it out.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PTSideshow:
Old 07-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,596 Times in 588 Posts

Wow very informative! All I need is 1/8" built up in a concave surface (you can guess what engine part I'm trying to make) Depending on the price of the sheet wax I'm not sure how easy molding the bees wax to a contured surface will be?

Thanks!
Old 07-06-2011, 02:05 AM
Registered-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Depending on the price of the sheet wax I'm not sure how easy molding the bees wax to a contured surface will be?

Thanks!
You could melt the wax and brush it on unit you get the thickness you want. If it needs to be accurate use strips as guides.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fe-Wood:
Old 07-08-2011, 07:13 AM
Card Sponsor

Thanked 2,257 Times in 193 Posts

Hi Guys

McMaster-Carr and I'm sure Freeman's also already sell sheet wax made exactly for this purpose. You can buy it in different thickness from about 1/32" up to probably at least 1/4" or maybe more I've bought 1/8" thick. It also comes with or without adeazive ( glue ) on one side peel off the paper press it in place, trim the edges and your done. Go to foundry.

Hope this helps.

LeRoy
The Following User Says Thank You to LeRoy IHC:
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Registered-II

For the OP yes I've done that thousands of times. As a patternmaker,

What the foundry is telling you is they can't pour metal in that thin of a mold cavity. They need thicker wall thickness to allow the metal to flow. Using the sheet wax is a good way to build up wall thickness.

As you can probably guess, the thicker the wax the more difficult it is to work with. If you want to add 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch use several layers of thinner wax. 1/16 works ok. 1/32 is like working with paper. 1/8 gets a bit more challenging.

One trick is to heat the wax with a heta gun (hair dryer). Use the type with adhesive.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wm. Galloway: