[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]
Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 4022 times

Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered-III

Default Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel

I am a novice as to small engines. As part of purchasing a house for my son to live in while he goes to college, we found while cleaning out the garage a Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel. There is what appears to be a serial number D11518 stamped on the case. It is single cylinder, has gas tank on top with fender, wheel rim (and worn out tire!). Did some research but was wondering how hard they are to restore, what market value these might have and the best way to sell it if I wanted to do so. Any info appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel

If it's just a mechanical resto that your looking for they are not that complicated although some parts will be hard to find. The carbs are rather simple, but if the float is damaged you will have problems. I believe that valves from a Briggs P will work along with the coil and points from Briggs F series engines. If the flywheel is damaged and it has the one with Briggs and Stratton cast into it, it will be hard to find replacement, but I think a flywheel from a Briggs P will work. If you want a full blown resto job, then you will need to have the the engine and carb nickle plated. As for price, somewhere between $1500 and $2000 in my estimation. I accept donations and would pay for the shipping if you don't want to mess with it.
Good luck and nice find. Post a picture if you can.

Derek
Old 06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,594 Times in 908 Posts

Welcome to the stak. i am not familiar with this one but some will tell you about it. Bill K
Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered-III

WOW!
lets see pics.
good for you and good luck.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Subscriber

You are verry lucky to find a motowheel. they are rather rare. If you decide to sell it Id be interested.
-Greg
Old 06-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanks for initial responses. In response to request for pics, I have attached four of both sides as well as a couple of closer shots. The serial number is stamped on the main metal crossbar - D11518. There is also a brass plate attached on the top of the right side of the main crossbar that says to check oil regularly, etc. Picture of the "Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel" shows patent stamp if you enlarge the picture.

There are two or three cooling fins that are broken off at the top of the cylinder head. Gas tank has at least one small hole from rusting through. The wheel does turn and one can hear the compression within the cylinder when turning the wheel so it does move freely.
Attached Thumbnails
terry wheel-10.jpg   terry wheel-7.jpg   terry wheel-9.jpg   terry wheel.jpg  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to da98197 For This Post:
Old 06-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered-II

Very nice find. I don't know the value but a nice rare engine.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:23 PM
Subscriber

You are verry verry lucky to find a good origionial moto-wheel. It is probally worth more runing but unrestored than runing and restored.
-Greg
Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 PM
Subscriber

da,
Looks like I see some daylight between the rim and the wheel disk. The unit has seen some use and the tank is beat up badly. I think you might do well parting it out. The flywheel is worth $300 to $400 perhaps. The carb is worth $150 easy and I have no idea on the fender but it would not sell cheap. You might well sell the parts on ebay individually because I suspect the wheel itself would bring a good price and I know an original brace would bring a good price. I personally would be interested in the flywheel for my own motorwheel.
Everett
Old 06-24-2011, 10:10 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by da98197 View Post
Thanks for initial responses. In response to request for pics, I have attached four of both sides as well as a couple of closer shots. The serial number is stamped on the main metal crossbar - D11518. There is also a brass plate attached on the top of the right side of the main crossbar that says to check oil regularly, etc. Picture of the "Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel" shows patent stamp if you enlarge the picture.

There are two or three cooling fins that are broken off at the top of the cylinder head. Gas tank has at least one small hole from rusting through. The wheel does turn and one can hear the compression within the cylinder when turning the wheel so it does move freely.
Hang on to this....You might be suprised..You are the owner of a original motor wheel..Set on it,,..and don't touch it...I don't think the green paint is original...B,
Old 06-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Registered-III

Since I am new to this forum, not sure how things work, but I have decided to go ahead and sell the Motor Wheel. You indicated you were interested in purchase if I so decided. What are you willing to offer?
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,594 Times in 908 Posts

you can list in our engine ads as make offer with a cut off date or you can list it on ebay with a notice in engine ads. Bill K
Old 06-25-2011, 12:49 AM
Registered-III

i would say dont let them talk you into selling it i am sure with some work you could put it right again and make it work. All those problems are fixable and a great learning experence
Old 06-25-2011, 07:05 PM
Subscriber

Everett, How could you part out that moto wheel? That would be taboo in my mind. The tanks saveable, and if you didnt want to go that route they make reproductions.
-Greg
Old 06-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Registered-III

your selling it!
your kidding right?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,162 Times in 469 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel

I feel that since Ive been "collecting" old engines and the like, which has only been a little more than a year, Ive come across, at least in my opinion, some pretty great finds. But to find a Motor Wheel like that, Wow. As far as keeping it or selling it, well, to each their own. Just because you might find something rare or semi-rare doesnt mean your expected to keep it, not everyone is into "these old engines". If I found some rare or collectible pottery in my garage, Id probably sell it too, Im just not into pottery. A Briggs Motor Wheel...still...what a find.
Patrick
Old 06-25-2011, 08:53 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Briggs and Stratton Motor Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by grega View Post
Everett, How could you part out that moto wheel? That would be taboo in my mind. The tanks saveable, and if you didnt want to go that route they make reproductions.
-Greg
Greg,
I am not parting it out and personally, I would not if it were mine since I collect. The originator of this thread though is not a Briggs collector and he was asking for options.
It seems to me he is wanting to cash out on his find and does not seem to have the desire to keep it.
I merely offered another option to selling it whole. But for a fact Greg, I WOULD buy that flywheel if he put it up for sale, taboo or not. LOL!!!
Everett
Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Subscriber

This brings back visions of a beautiful FB parted out on Ebay. Just list the whole damn thing on Ebay and let the winning bidder get it running again. Most people who intend on parting it out to make a profit wont spend what it will sell for complete on Ebay and some lucky guy will get it running again. Just my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motormowers For This Post:
Old 06-25-2011, 10:41 PM
Registered-III

I appreciate the conversations my "find" have sparked. I certainly don't mean to disappoint anyone in that I didn't plan on keeping the motor wheel. I collect guns and coins and just don't have time for another hobby - tho I can certainly see how antique engines could catch one's attention. I do not plan to part it out - agree that it makes the most sense to sell it as it is. At this point, I am going to just list on ebay and see what happens - with setting the reserve at what I have been offered thus far via contacts on this forum. If it does not sell, I will contact one of the offers I have received and pass it on to someone who will give it the care and attention such a find deserves! Thanks for all the input!
Old 06-25-2011, 10:46 PM
Registered-III

yes, for the love of god, sell it compleat,
thank you, i will be watching for it on e-bay,
trowel