Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers, pumps, washers and antiquities of the industrial revolution.

Farm + Industrial Antiques and Collectibles

Letz Burr Mills

this thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2417 times

Old 06-26-2011, 09:21 PM
Registered-II

Photo Letz Burr Mills

I picked up two letz burr mills last week. The bigger one is a model 111X and it is loose and complete except for a spring that adjusts the tension on the burrs, and a gear or two that turns the agitaotor is missing. I am wondering what model the smaller one is? It has about a 4 inch wide discharge chute on the bottom. It has model number A163 in the burr cover. Also the U-shaped piece that helps hold the burr cover and the center shaft in place has the casting number A161. And the plate with the markings on to know how far open the feed gate is has A131 on it. I didnt find an identification plate on this mill. Their are a few more pictures on the Antique engine discussion forum. Thanks for looking.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN4988.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Letz Burr Mills

When I get back home this evening, I'll try and look it up in my master parts catalog and see what I can find. Thanks!

Jeb
The Following User Says Thank You to Jebaroni:
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered-III

The "Thrust Yoke", part A-161 was only used on models 6, 033, and 33.

Model 6 was built from 1915-1931
Model 33 only during 1916
Model 033 from 1917-1923

It can't be a model 33 because part A-131 was not used on that model but was used on model 6 and 033.

All of these had 6" plates, but the 33/033 were listed as "small grain grinders only" which probably meant that they had no agitator for stirring up the cobs. If that is the case, then it would seem that yours is most likely a model 6. If you have any other casting numbers (like the one on the agitator) that could help narrow it down further. Hope this helps!

Jeb
Old 06-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Letz Burr Mills

Thanks for all the work so far Jeb. I took a couple more pictures of the inside of the hopper. I also found the casting A 36 on a handle in the picture. No their is not an agitatior in this grinder hopper. So with that being said does it look to be a model 6 or a model 033? thanks
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5141.jpg   DSCN5144.jpg  
Old 06-28-2011, 05:59 AM
Registered-III

The quick release handle A36 was used on pretty much everything. The fact that there is no agitator in your machine could very well make it a model 033, but that's really more of an educated guess. Is that a grease cup INSIDE the hoper? Is there a portion of the auger that doesn't turn? If so, I haven't seen one like that in person before and would be additional support for it being a small grain grinder (less of an auger to bust up the cobs prior to final grinding).
Old 06-28-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered-II

Jeb,
Yes their is a grease cup inside the hopper on the end away from the burr plates. The grinder is stuck but I am sure their is only a small portion of that shaft that turns. So the fluted auger is only a few inches long. Hopefully tonight I will get it off the back of my truck and be able to look for more part numbers. Thanks again
Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Registered-III

If you can get me the casting number off of the main framework, that should be fairly definitive. I think I had mentioned in another post the trick about forcing in grease by using the grease cups. It worked great for me and it won't hurt anything like heat will. Just make sure that there aren't any parts lodged up underneath the auger (found a spark plug in mine) as that will make things harder to bust loose and could break something). Out of curiosity, does yours has a "trap door" under the auger as a safety break-away mechanism like the other models do?

Jeb
Old 06-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered-II

Jeb, Their is not a trap door under this machine. I found another cast number of A 326 on the cast inside the mill just to the side of the grease cup. I got it off the truck into the shed with better light. I will go out their later and wash the dirt out of the hopper and get some more pictures for you. Thanks again
Old 06-28-2011, 09:35 PM
Registered-III

Congratulations! A326 is the main frame and was only used on the model 033 small grain grinders. It appears we have a winner!
Old 06-28-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered-II

Thumbs up Re: Letz Burr Mills

Thanks for taking the time to do some detective work for me Jeb!!!! I am guessing the model 033 is not very common then? Do you have any pictures to know what it would have looked like when it had paint on it? I took a couple more pictures for you to get a feel on what the bottom is like. It sure looks different in the hopper after I washed the 50 years of dirt out. On a positive note I got the bottom slide to move now that stops the flow of grain. I did squeeze grease in the cups, and sprayed underneath with PB blaster. I am hoping in a couple days if will come loose. Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5145.jpg   DSCN5147.jpg  
Old 06-29-2011, 07:15 AM
Registered-III

You're going to love the color scheme: Turquoise blue frame with a nearly Allis-Chalmers Orange hopper! Check out the following link to get an idea. Be advised that I have seen other Letz mills with a pea-green and /tan-yellow color scheme as well, but I think those were sold through certain dealerships and distributors. There really isn't a good way to determine if/when they changed colors.

http://www.gristmillers.com/letz/cotton/
Old 07-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Registered-II

Question Re: Letz Burr Mills

Well the 033 has been a pain to try to get loose so far. Although the bolts and nuts come loose easily. I still have not gotten the mill to turn. I tried the grease cups full of grease squeezing into the bushings and shaft. No luck!!! So I decided to take the burr cover off. I got that all off easily. PB blaster soaks through the burrs and drips out the bottom. if I pull the pin should I be able to slide the outside burr off the shaft? I can get the outside burr plate to turn on the shaft a little bit. I just want to get this thing loose. Let me know what you think.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Registered-III

The outer plate (the one that turns) is loosely pinned to either a large disc, or to a collar that is pinned/bolted to the main shaft. The plate has to be able to "wobble" a little bit to maintain alignment and uniform grinding consistency as bearings and things wear out. If you remove the pin, the plate should come off, but I would highly doubt that is what is holding you up. That really long section of bearing inside the hopper where the grease cup is holds a lot of friction surface in there. I wouldn't try to use any heat because you'd likely melt the babbit out of the bearings. Just keep at it with the grease and use the flywheel as a great big grab handle and work it back and forth. As soon as it starts to move the least little bit, you're almost done. Having said that, removing the plate should get rid of at least a small amount of friction and get you one step closer to freeing it up. You'll get it, don't worry. Keep at it, and good luck!

Jeb

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 AM ----------

I'm not sure if that is just excess grease that oozed out, or if the grease cup is leaking a little under pressure, but don't be afraid of replacing the grease cup (temporarily) with a grease fitting and using a modern gun to force grease into the main bearing. You might be able to get a little extra pressure and force some grease up into an area that you couldn't before. However, if you are already seeing grease coming out of either side of the bearing right now, then you probably won't get much more with a grease fitting.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:35 PM
Registered-II

Jeb, that grease that is around the grease cuup is mainly from me over filling it and then putting it together. I do have grease coming out around the shaft in a few places. I wish that 033 had a flywheel on as that would help me with leverage.
I need the quick release lever and also the 2 round spoked nuts for my Letz 111x burr mill. Anyone got some laying around you would be willing to part with?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Letz Burr Mills

Well Jeb I got impatient tonight after work and mananged to get the 033 broken loose. I put a small pipe wrench on behind drive pulley and worked it back and forth a few times and then it didnt take long! I looked at the burrs and they looked okay. Not sure what they are supposed to look like, but they were ground flat. Now I was putting it back together, and I have a question. On the tail end of the shaft is has a round indent in the shaft. Is the flat disc supposed to ride in that round indent and then the ball and then the pusher cast iron piece. Or am I missing a piece or are they in the wrong order. I pictured it as it came apart. Thanks for the help!!!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN5164.jpg   DSCN5165.jpg  
Old 07-15-2011, 07:14 AM
Registered-III

I would think that the correct order would be shaft-ball-disc-plug. Just try out different configurations and see what seems to be the most stable as the shaft turns. I've seen many bearings put in backwards and/or rigged up with non-original parts when something got lost. I'll have to review the master parts catalog, but they usually don't tell you which order things are supposed to go, only a list of part numbers used on that particular machine.

---------- Post added at 05:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 AM ----------

The other thing I was going to mention is that I had to have my handwheels (the spoked knobby things) recast as I only had one of the two originals. If you have one of them and the quick-release lever from your other Letz, you should be able to send them off and used as patterns to recast new ones. The parts are small, so they shouldn't be very expensive, either.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered-II

Thanks again Jeb!! I am kinda thinking the ball should go in the end of the shaft and then the flat disc and then the cast iron part. But I was curious what you had to say. Thanks again!!!