Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New Hobby?

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1200 times

Old 06-27-2011, 11:35:28 AM
Registered

Default New Hobby?

Hi All!

I am Mike. Currently stationed at Fort Bragg, NC, but living in Afghanistan at the moment. Luckily I will be back in the States in about 2 weeks. I can't wait to see my 3 sons (Ages 6, 4, 2).

I have been interested in small engines for awhile and just never pursued it at all. I think it would be a nice hobby to help me relax when I get home. Plus I am inquisitive and I think that taking an engine (or motor, What is the difference?) that didn't run or run very well and bringing it to top running condition would teach me a great deal. I also think that it would be good to see some good physical results come from the time I put into it.

For some reason the military has decided to block engineads.com so I can't do any pre-homecoming shopping. Can anyone point me to a non-running (but complete) project that I could take apart and clean and possible bring back to running condition? I am not looking for anything rare or expensive. Just something simple and inexpensive to start out on.

Thanks Everyone!
The Following User Says Thank You to SSGtoCadet For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2011, 12:32:12 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: New Hobby?

well good luck!!! it can be very relaxing if u let it be!!!! key is dont get stressed if u break somthing. u can always weld it!!!! im sure u can find some collectors near where u live and find a good buy!!!! thanks for your service!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2011, 01:19:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

Welcome to rhe stak SSGtoCadet. there are engines available in your area when you get back. I see quite a few In that part of the country that I would go look at if I was not so far away. Hope you have as much fun with them as I do. thanks for your service. Bill K MSG Ret
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 06-27-2011, 01:39:19 PM
Subscriber

Mike Welcome to the hobby. I hope you have a save return trip. I live about 2 hours from Ft Bragg and may be able to help find something here in North Carolina. Thanks for your service to our country. Merton
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MCanady For This Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 01:00:11 AM
Registered

@ youngmaytagstud - I see your in Missouri. I will be flying into Kansas City, MO shortly after I get back to the states. I am going up there with a friend who is in the Air National Guard.

@MCanady - I happened to get stationed in NC when I joined, but I also grew up in NC. I haven't ever heard of Washington, NC. Have you ever heard of Randleman, NC. That is where I grew up, its right beside Asheboro. That would be great if you can help me find a good first project. I would really appreciate that.

@ All - What is a good first project. I assume that some engines or motors are more simple than other. Are single cylinders more simple than multi-cylinders? Air cooled more simple than water cooled? And what is the difference between a motor and an engine?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:13:40 AM
Subscriber

[QUOTE=SSGtoCadet; And what is the difference between a motor and an engine?[/QUOTE]

A motor is powered by electricity. An engine is powered by fuel. ie: gasoline, propane, NG, diesel etc.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Tremble For This Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:33:57 PM
Registered-II

A good started engine could be anything, just do your research and try to go for common engines that are cheap and have a good supply of arts such as hercules, Later IHC such as M's, LA's and LB's, Fairbanks Morris, or even John Deere's (even though they are expensive) but find something you like and know a little about.