Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Gratz Pennsylvania

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1245 times

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55:23 AM
Registered-I

Default Hello from Gratz Pennsylvania

Thought I'd introduce myself since I finally joined after years of just looking. Even though I'm realatively young, I've been collecting Fordson tractors for many years. I've been around Fordsons since I was 3 years old when my Grandfather bought a 1930 Irish Fordson and started off the collection. Now between My Dad, my Brother , and Myself we have 30+ Fordsons from an early 1918 to a 1949 E27N and many in between. Any of you from central PA may have seen us at the Nittany Antique Machinery Show at Penns Cave doing the Fordson teardown/assemby demonstration the years they feature Ford/Fordson.
One thing we strongly belive in is using these old tractors. It gives you a connection to the past and a greater respect for those who had to farm with these primative tractors. We use our fordsons to Plow, Plant, Binder, Thresh, among other tasks. I attached a picture of myself sowing wheat this past fall with my 1920 Fordson.
Besides Fordsons, I also have and interest in other old tractors, mostly in the steel wheel era. Rock Islands, Heiders, AllWorks, and Oliver implements all peak my interest. I have 2 young sons that are also old iron nuts, and to support the rust hobby I work as an engineer.
Well I guess that is enough about me, hope I can contribute well to this great site.
-Steve
Attached Thumbnails
planting wheat.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2011, 10:37:06 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: Hello from Gratz PA

Welcome to the stak Steve. Really neat Fordson, and really neat implement. Looks like horse drawn adapted to tractor. Bill K
Old 06-29-2011, 01:24:04 PM
Registered-I

do you still use the coils system or did you adapt a magneto to it my great grandpa adapted all of his to magnetos and he jimmy rigs some to start with a battery and do you know where i could get some wood coils?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:34:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts

Ackland the wood coils are for sale on ebay quite often and cen be bought from several sponsers listed in the sponsers page on smokstak. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 06-29-2011, 10:16:27 PM
Registered-I

Ackland, almost all of our tractors including the one in the picture run on the original wood coils. If tuned properly, a fordson with coils is about the easiest starting hand crank tractor there is. Also the chance of getting kicked back when cranking with coils is very slim if the timing is properly retarded. The hard starting bad rap they got years ago came from farmers who did not understand or maintain the ignition and fuel system. Which I can understand,since most of these farmers did not have to service these parts on a horse. Oldproff is correct, coils on ebay alot, at flea markets, and available new or rebuilt from numerous vendors that deal in model T parts. Macs and Snyders come to mind first.
-Steve
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Welker For This Post:
Old 06-30-2011, 01:51:01 AM
Registered-I

Great thanks for the info i was just wondering because great grandpa has a small magneto on his but thats probably because he is almost 90 years old. Thanks for the advice.
-Erick Ackland