Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Making Life Easier, no more tugging, pushing...

So over the years I have come to conclude that lifting, tugging, pushing, and fighting with loading...

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2649 times

Old 07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered-III

Default Making Life Easier, no more tugging, pushing...

So over the years I have come to conclude that lifting, tugging, pushing, and fighting with loading and unloading auction and swap meet finds that there has to be an easier way. I have currently undertaken two such projects to save my back and shoulder.

The first was to add a winch to the bed of my truck. I had several ideas for doing this project, but I still wanted some store that my cover gave me. After doing some more brainstorming I came up with putting a winch in a toolbox. I found one cheap enough on Craigslist for this project. I did not want to spend a lot of money on it so if it didn't work or I royally screwed it up I would not be out much. I installed stops on the bed rails, and also have toggle bolts anchoring the toolbox to the tie downs in my bed. I also installed dividers so my toolbox contents will not take out my winch and battery. The below pictures are of my final project. I am also planning to build a low profile "cart" of sorts that I can winch skidded and non-skidded engines up the truck ramps with ease. I am still working on that design though....

The second was to build, what I call, a "small engine corral". When halling smalls and small engines at auctions/swaps/shows, it is always a pain to load them in back of the truck when I cannot drop my tailgate because of my trailer jack. So I came up with this idea. I am going to add tie downs for a cargo net, and make it so it assembles easily. I am thinking about adding one more row of boards, but have not decided yet. I was also thinking about maybe using wire mesh to make sure nothing files out. I need to decide on that though. I am hoping to get this project finished up today so I can move on to building two engine carts.

I just thought I would share my newest projects.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Angela Frase:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2011, 08:07 AM
Sponsor

Default Re: Making Life Easier, no more tugging, pushing...

Angela, I'm currently trying to do something similar, thinking about a covered winch system that would be transportable between my truck bed, trailer, and tractor. Can you show us more pics detailing your mounting scheme?
Thank you, Harvey
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered-III

Harvey, the winch is a Warn that is rated at 1300 lb. I was quite surprised that it only had 2 mounting points. I have posted more pictures on my PhotoBucket site, which if you click on PhotoBucket it should take you there. I need to test the winch, but I am sure it will pull whatever I want to pull with ease. I also have a separate winch on my trailer that I put in a small toolbox that I mounted sideways and then I keep the battery in my tongue box. You should also check out my photos of my "super wagon". It has worked out great for Portland and auctions. Let me know if you need any additional photos.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:15 PM
Sponsor

Very crafty, Angela......how did we ever survive before winches were invented?
Old 07-06-2011, 08:49 PM
Registered-III

Did something similar a few months ago. Mounted a bumper hitch in the bed and the winch on a removable plate so I can use it in a trailer of other truck. Put my ramps in the stake pockets.
Attached Thumbnails
winch1.jpg   Ramps.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John in Maryland: