Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Wisconsin Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Wisconsin Engines Single cylinder up to V4 engines.

Wisconsin Engines

Wisconsin AEH

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1470 times

Old 07-11-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered-II

Liked 396 Times in 96 Posts
Default Wisconsin AEH

Gentlemen, I am looking at ebay item #250853346753. Could you please tell me what is missing on this engine? Is it complete? Also, does it use a screw in muffler line a BKN. Any idea of its age and H.P.? Thanks, Jim
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2011, 09:25 AM
Subscriber

Liked 548 Times in 259 Posts
Default Re: Wisconsin AEH

Hi

I see only 2 items that are missing.

Muffler and magneto

The third item is I can’t see the governor linkage. It also looks like it may be an air vane governor and the linkage I am looking for would be hidden behind the air cleaner elbow.

Phil P
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Registered-II

Liked 396 Times in 96 Posts

Thank you Phil, is the magneto a hard to find item on an AEH?
Old 07-11-2011, 10:35 AM
Registered-III

Liked 220 Times in 98 Posts

Morning all,

Timely post - spend some time this weekend on my recently-acquired AEHS.

As others have noted, the one on eBay is missing the magneto and maybe other parts. My AEHS is missing much of the governor linkages as well and I plan to fabricate my own.

I can't get a good look at the photos on my phone and can't get to eBay at the moment to say for sure!

The magneto is not impossible to find, I have seen a few around but they are not as common as other magnetos, being pad-mounted and not gear-driven. Keep an eye out and one will turn up.

The shipping cost seems very low to me. This is a large, heavy engine - over 100 lbs - and proper packing only adds more weight and expense. It seems that it should be twice what it is saying.

My AEHS is turning out to be a mixed bag. While it was complete besides the carb / governor linkages, it had a lot of problems:

* The shroud was rusted out on the bottom. I've fixed with fiberglass mat and resin.

* The flange on the carb had one ear busted off. Thankfully, found a replacement that needed rebuilding that I got cheap.

* The air-cleaner tube is cracked in two places. I plan to get some of that MuggWeld alloy to try and solder it back together. We shall see how well that works.

* The magneto was dead as a doornail. I made up a separate post on its issues - basically - the points were so ugly that they needed a good bit of work to get them flat again.

* Starter rope sheave was busted into three pieces. Thankfully, it has a steel center that is threaded for the crankshaft and has a 1" shaft. Took a 1" cast iron pulley, filed grooves for the starter rope, and that works well.

* Confirmed that the oil pump was working, but it doesn't seem to fill the trough up real fast. But, after I ran it, I immediately opened up the crankcase and saw that the level was good and that the dipper was still dipping.

* It is low on compression - the rings seem okay as did the valves, but I need to inspect the valves and rings more closely. I did confirm that the valves are not sticking.

* It does run, and only smokes a little bit when it first starts, so that seems to confirm that the rings are okay but my problem is in the valves.

* It starts hard - I've got to have the throttle at least half-way open and use a little starting fluid to get her to go. And it seems like if I try to idle it, it will die - almost like at low speeds its on the hairy edge of having enough compression to run properly - let it loose enough speed and it just doesn't have the required compression.

thanks much,
ben
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Subscriber

Liked 360 Times in 276 Posts

Magnetos are easy to find, usually $25 - $35 plus shipping for a working one. You also need the magneto coupling disk. New one cost $18, used ones next to nothing if you can find one.

Muffler is standard 1-1/4" pipe thread screw in. I buy mine from AgriSupply out of Garner, North Carolina. Not something your local hardware store (if you have such a thing) probably has.

Governor linkage looks to be there but good chance that the threaded rod is frozen where it screws into the carb linkage.

No air vane governor that I can see (nor should there be). I agree that shipping is going to be a bunch. Manual available for download at ASECC.com. Serial number list available there as well as on the Wisconsin Motors LLC site.

Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered-III

Hi Zira,

Interesting - my AEHS uses a 1" NPT screw-in. I bought a 1" NPT pipe nipple and a generic "Arnold" brand muffler that was 1" NPT. This is not a "hot dog" muffler but a pancake muffler and it does a great job on my BKND and also on the AEHS. Nice tone, pretty quiet...

Was there a different manifold used on the AEH versus the AEHS?

thanks much!
-ben
Old 07-11-2011, 02:31 PM
Subscriber

Liked 360 Times in 276 Posts

Ben -

You are right, it is 1", I was think of the AHH. The 1" that is sold at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. works nicely & is fairly cheap.

Sorry about that.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Subscriber

Liked 548 Times in 259 Posts

Zira

I can see the speed control on the air shroud and the threaded end of the governor rod but I can’t see the arm that comes out of the crankcase. Wisconsin stopped using the air vain governors just after WW2. The serial number indicates this engine was built in September of 1947. I would not expect it to be air vane governed but you never know. I have owned three of the air vane governor engine when I was 16 an AH, AEH, and AHH. I used the AHH in a boat I had with no transmission. It took some planning to maneuver around a dock but it was usable and ran all day and most of the night on the oval fuel tank (AGN) that was available from Wisconsin.

Phil P
Old 07-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zira View Post
You are right, it is 1", I was think of the AHH. The 1" that is sold at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. works nicely & is fairly cheap.

Sorry about that.
Hi Zira,

No problem! I always doubt my memory first - seems like these days I forget more than I remember...

thanks much,
ben