Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

How to remove exhaust valve from Briggs and Stratton Model Y

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 4559 times

Old 07-14-2011, 01:43 AM
Subscriber

Default How to remove exhaust valve from Briggs and Stratton Model Y

I have been working on assorted engines for a couple of years now and for the most part havent really considered getting a small air cooled engine. Last weekend, I gave in and I was able to pick up a little B & S Model Y. Its a really niftly looking little engine but it is a little worse for the wear.

When I got it home, I noticed that there was no compression so I took the head off. Turns out that the exhaust valve was stuck open. I was able to free it up but there is some corrosion around the stem where the valve enters the engine. The result is that it does not move freely and does not seat completely.

I would like to remove the valve and either clean it up or replace it but I can not figure out how to remove the darn thing.

So, how does one go about removing the exhause valve from a 1934 Briggs and Stratton Model Y?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: How to remove exhause valve from Briggs and Stratton Model Y

Been a while since I worked on a model Y so I forget which side the valve cover is on. At any rate, take the valve cover off, then you'll need a valve spring compressor of some sort to compress the spring so you can pull the little keeper pin out (I think this engine has a pin through the valve stem, if not it has a two-piece conical valve keeper that fits in a groove in the valve stem). It isn't much different that removing a valve from any other type of engine, probably the main difference is that you'll be working in very close quarters.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Registered-III

I recently did an overhaul on an H which I believe could be considered a development of the Y family. Leonard hits the nail on the head - you need a valve spring compressor to squeeze the spring, exposing either a pin or a pair of tapered "keepers." My H, a 1934 model if I remember right, had the keepers but your Y may have a pin. It is fairly tight in there, so smaller sized needle nose pliers are a real benefit when trying to get pieces in and out.

thanks,
ben
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Subscriber

If you have the small tapered keepers a small dab of grease works wonders to hold them in place until you release the tension on the spring when reinstalling the valve.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:01 AM
Subscriber

Morning, Steve.

Google Valve Spring Compressor and it will show the various types, you want the one shaped like the letter "G". Sears or some large auto parts houses have small engine tools and should have just what you need.

Once you do one valve then all will be revealed and another mystery solved.

Less than 20 bucks ought to buy a decent tool.

Piece of cake.

Jhoward
Old 07-14-2011, 09:23 AM
Subscriber

Thanks guys, I will head to a store and pick one up over lunch today.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,358 Posts

I use THIS type of valve spring compressor and find it works well.
Before I got that, I got by with a couple of screw drivers and a needle nose pliers for years.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 07-15-2011, 10:50 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: How to remove exhaust valve from Briggs and Stratton Model Y

Had no luck finding a valve spring compressor that would work. All the local auto parts stores only had the type that work from above and not from the side.

I am wondering, once I get the compressor, what a keeper looks like and how it works. I am not overly experience with this sort of thing. All the engines I have worked with up to this point, the valves are all super easy to remove. Just a pin through a hole holding on a cap and spring. I messed around with a screwdriver and tried to get a look at what is holding everything together. There isnt much room there and its really hard to see what needs to be removed. I cant tell if its a pin or a keeper. The spring fits down over some sort of wider piece. I am assuming the keeper is holding the disk on the bottom of the spring on.

I will have to make some calls over lunch to see if a local place carries the correct type of spring compressor. Might try making one if I cant find something local. Always looking for a reason to weld crap together.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 AM
Subscriber

I have a snapon tool for removing door panels that works great. You can get it in there and the space in the center where the clip goes gives you good access to the pin. Hope that makes since, these tools are easier to find sometimes. Hope this helps.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Subscriber

Figured this out finally. My big hangup on getting the valve out had to do with me not understanding how the keepers function. I though I had to access them from above the disk that retains the spring so was trying to compress the spring and then fiddle with the disk. Finally figured out that the spring retainer needs to move as well and the keepers are accessed from the bottom of the spring retainer. That revelation ended up with the valve being removed 10 min later.

Its a pretty stiff spring.

I was able to get the valves off and cleaned up. Lapped both valves and got everything cleaned up.

The next problem is the magneto, there is no spark. How in the heck to I get to the magneto without making a mess of everything? I have everything stripped off the motor with the exception of the flywheel parts and I am not sure how to access the innards to get to the mag \ coil parts.

Suggestions?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:20 AM
Subscriber

The Y (and H) engines are completely different from other Briggs engines with respect to the flywheel, as I'm sure you've noticed. These models have a straight, not tapered, end on the crank with a bolt through the flywheel hub and the crank.

I've had limited experience removing those flywheels, I avoid those particular models!

Be sure to clean the end of the crank very well, I'd probably put a little oil on it, too. Someone with more experience with these can correct me if I'm wrong and provide more details but I think you'll need a puller. I'm not sure which kind, though.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Registered-III

yes, a fly-wheel puller would be best unless some knows another method of removing it, the backing plate on theses engines will make it difficult to remove the fly-wheel and breaks easy,
an idear is to modify the common pully puller used for automotive applications and lightly rapping the side of the fly-wheel to vibrate loose,
this is from my memory which is a little shaky so im hoping for others to jump in,
trowel
Old 07-20-2011, 01:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,637 Times in 1,358 Posts

I have seen some Model Y flywheels slip right off with no trouble. I have also seen them act like they were welded on....
I made a flywheel puller based on the picture of one in the owners manual.

I Can Probably Fix That
Old 07-20-2011, 05:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanks John. I like the look of that and it shouldnt be to bad to make something like that. I always have some scrap around for just this sort of thing.

If I get in a hurry, I might drop by Harbor Freight on the way home and see if they have any 2 arm pullers that might work.

Hopefully I will be able to get this bugger up and running pretty soon.

I am sure I will have some questions about the ignition system. I need to excavate it from under the piles of crud to see if the connections are ok.

-Steve
Old 07-20-2011, 08:30 PM
Subscriber

It came off pretty easy. The condensor is trashed and the plastic piece that holds the points was busted and not any where close to being able to make contact.

1 of the magnets in the flywheel has a pretty good pull. The other magnet barely has any. Will it run with 1 strong magnet and 1 super weak one?

Not sure where I would go to get the darn magnets recharged. The coil looks pretty bad to. Need to replace the condenser first thing and clean it up. It was a horrible oily mess.

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

I have one other quest too. I have a FM-J magneto with a good condensor, can I use that condensor to replace the one in this engine?