Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Horse Drawn Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Horse Drawn Equipment Old iron designed for the purpose of hitching up to a horse or a team. This old iron machinery may be used or demonstrated while hooked to an old iron tractor too.

Horse Drawn Equipment

Potato Planter & Digger

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 3398 times

Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM
Registered-III

Liked 166 Times in 68 Posts
Default Potato Planter & Digger

Brought home a potato planter and digger today. I think the digger is a Hoover (I have the trolley wheel too, but no bracket to mount it right now) and it actually all moves. The planter is an unknown to me. Anyone have any info on it or can identify it? Is it missing anything vital in the hopper area or was that something wooden that's rotted away?

---------- Post added at 08:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

One more pic:

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 10:03 PM
Registered-III

Liked 375 Times in 250 Posts
Default Re: Potato Planter & Digger

that is a sweet looking potato digger,
as for the planter i would venture a gess as to there being something along the lines of a funnel shaped tin that connets the top hopper to the potato inlet,
very cool looking planter, i wish i knew more about it,
trowel
Old 07-21-2011, 10:31 PM
Registered-II

Liked 113 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: Potato Planter & Digger

That's an Aspinwal planter, just like mine. There are canvas sack like things that hang down from the figure eight shaped metal piece in the last photo. There is a rim around the base on the outside that holds the canvas and it is also pinched between the two pieces of metal that join the middle of the figure eight on the inside.

It appears very complete except for the fertilizer box. The gear you see on the left of the third photo runs the chain to the fertilizer box.
Yours is set for tractor hitch. Mine is for horses.

I am looking for another just like mine if anyone knows of one.

Mike