Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

JD Model E Ice Cream Maker & Exhaust

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1104 times

Old 08-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Registered-I

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default JD Model E Ice Cream Maker & Exhaust

I recently purchased a John Deere E and have been contemplating what to do with it. It looks and runs great and I would like to put it to work. I have been reading countless articles on here about ice cream mixer setups and I cannot seem to find an answer to my question. Theoretically, most everyone's pulley sizes to the mixer should be close to the same size - since the engines run at or near the same speeds. Where do you get the pulleys at? I assume the shaft is just that, like 1" or 3/4" shaft, with bearings and set screws holding the pulleys on. I just can't seem to find much specific info about the size pulleys and where I can buy them. Also, nothing to do with the ice cream mixer, but how / where does a guy get the vertical chrome exhaust stack? Hopefully someone can solve all of my questions!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2011, 11:33 PM
Registered-III

Liked 87 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: JD Model E Ice Cream Maker & Exhaust

The pullies bolt to the flywheel(either one), hit n miss will have pullies or watch ebay, or let me know I think I have an extra or two. Now if you are talking about modern V pullies then you will need an adapter, I see them from time to time on ebay also, hope this helps you !
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 AM
Sponsor

Liked 683 Times in 178 Posts

Massey,

Check out this site. Lots of good info on pulley size and RPM's to run the ice cream maker.

http://www.country-freezer.com/
Old 08-05-2011, 07:06 AM
Subscriber

Liked 619 Times in 422 Posts

When I built my ice cream maker, I found a flat belt pulley on e-bay that I drive from the existing pulley on the engine, and bought the necessary v belt pulleys from Grainger. If I were doing it today, I would first try to find the v belt pulleys at Surplus Center, or from McMaster-Carr. I am using a Stover CT2 engine that has about a 4" pulley on it, and the flat belt pulley I found on e-bay is a 12". The others are sized to give me about 50 RPM at the freezer with an engine speed of 300 RPM.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered-I

Liked 46 Times in 16 Posts

I may have some polished stainless that could be used for exhaust, PM if you want me to take a looksie...
Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered-I

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I read on some previous posts about the belt slipping when the ice cream is done, to avoid shearing off things. I think running a flat belt off the original flywheel (on the bolted on bell part) would be best and I guess Ill have to keep an eye out on Ebay for another flat pulley to put on the new shaft. Then on the other end, I will figure out what size V-belt pulley I need to slow it down to attach to the ice cream mixer.