Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Removing rust with molasses solution.

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 3099 times

Old 08-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Registered-I

Liked 34 Times in 1 Post
Default Removing rust with molasses solution.

After reading about several techniques for removing rust I was intrigued by the stories about using a molasses solution. It seemed like a good option – no caustic chemicals and a safe by-product but a bit unconventional.

I decided to give it a try. I mixed one part feed-grade molasses to nine parts water in a plastic tub and submerged a rusty sheet metal sieve half way. I let it soak overnight and the next day pulled it out and rinsed it off. I was surprised just how well it worked.

Check out the attached photos, this is the result of the solution only – no wire brushing, just a rinse. I’ll do another experiment with a piece of cast iron to see how long it might take. Interesting what you learn on these forums.
Attached Thumbnails
Before.JPG   During.JPG   After.JPG   After closeup.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 AM
Registered-III

Liked 284 Times in 139 Posts
Default Re: Removing rust with molasses solution.

That sort of result overnight is very good ,never been that quick for me . I had a friend In Missouri ,I passed it on to him but he never had much luck with it . I use the method often .
Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Registered-II

Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts

Hi Tgegan,i have found that molasses cleans rust well but you should not leave cast iron in for long as it softens the cast iron and will ruin the engine cylinder and you will have to have it machined and re sleeved now i only use soda ash with a battery charger doe's a far better job in half the time with with no side affects don't use a stainless steel probe only lead you will be amazed with the results.cheers clappo.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Subscriber

Liked 619 Times in 422 Posts

I have never tried the molasses solution, but have used electrolysis a good bit. One advantage I see with the molasses is that rust is removed from all surfaces, instead of only those in direct line with the anode. It would make the removal of rust inside of things like hoppers much easier.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Sponsor

Liked 3,876 Times in 2,501 Posts
Exclamation Re: Removing rust with molasses solution.

The sugar in the molasses does the trick. It will degrade cast iron, if left on it long term. I have done work in a candy manufacturing plant, and its waste system is built of extra heavy cast iron. This waste system has to be replaced about every 5 years, as the waste sugars eat up the 1/2" thick iron to the point where there are holes in it

By the way, I believe that feed grade molasses is a thicker byproduct of sugar extraction - it is not like Grandma's you buy in the store!

Andrew
Old 08-05-2011, 07:57 PM
Registered-II

Liked 651 Times in 179 Posts

What happens is there is a fermenting process and the sugars in molasses turns into acid, I am not sure one but I think it may be lactic acid. You get the same result with any sugary solution. Years ago some of the guys here in New Zealand used to use whey, a byproduct of the dairy industry, to clean up rust and free up parts. It was effective but it did take a while. I don't know if anyone uses it now as a lot of the guys now use electrolysis because it is much faster.

Merv.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Sponsor

Liked 997 Times in 139 Posts

Good results can also be had with 3 cups of salt disolved per gallon of vinegar. Bill Klein
Old 08-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Registered-I

Liked 34 Times in 1 Post

Its pretty hot here in Phoenix this week (110) so the solution is has been 'solar' heated, I think that helps the process along.