Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Homelite generator 20A115-1

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1796 times

Old 08-06-2011, 11:08 PM
Registered-III

Liked 284 Times in 149 Posts
Default Homelite generator 20A115-1

Just bought one and I'm looking for any literature on it. Also pics of the throttle setup, as they have the throttle butterfly just wired open on mine.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered-III

Liked 205 Times in 191 Posts
Default Re: Homelite generator 20A115-1

seen it listed as a 1956 @ this link!

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...omeliteGen.htm

Google search: seen it listed as a 1956 @ this link!

At this link. Might nose around at the link but info probably weak due to it's age!

http://www.oldengine.org/members/die...omeliteGen.htm
Old 08-07-2011, 03:48 PM
In Memory Of

Liked 1,198 Times in 1,060 Posts

I assume your 20A115-1 is a single cylinder two stroke engine. If so, there were Two different fuel systems used. One was a Homelite built carb which did not have a throttle plate. This system required the fuel tank to be seal so it could be pressurized by pressure from the crankcase when the engine was running. The engines RPM was controlled by a governor plate internal to the engine. The other fuel system used a Tillotson carb with a throttle plate. Your engine sometime in the past may have had the Homelite carb and someone replaced it with a Tillotson carb. This may be why the throttle plate is wire wide open. I have a INTERTEC small engine manual that has some info on this engine. It it the 16th edition. Intertec P/N SES-16, ISBN: 0-87288-328-0. It is copyrighted in 1989 so I have had it several years. Before I got this manual, I worked on a two stroke Homelite generator the Fire Department had during a Ice Storm caused power outage in about 1983. I got the engine to run, No one else on the department had EVER had it running. It had the Homelite carb on it. I did not know at the time the fuel tank had to be sealed. As I said I got it running somehow and used it to power a freezer and a refrigerator. There is very little info around on these engines. After the ice storm I contacted Homelite. They said ALL of the info on these engine No Longer Existed.

Kent
Old 08-07-2011, 10:20 PM
Registered-III

It is single cylinder 2 stroke. l take it then if I get a tach and adjust the carb where it will turn 3600 RPM, that will be about the same as if it did have the carb without a throttle plate? Any idea how many watts these are? Any carb parts available? I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:14 PM
Subscriber

Liked 413 Times in 299 Posts

I have a similar but slightly smaller unit that is 15A-115 or something like that. Mine is rated 1500watts, 3600 rpm.

Purchased locally a few years back, I was surprised to see a throttle cable obviously added to "mine" on it's Tillotson float-type carb.

The seller said it had no throttle cable on it when he bought it and that the butterfly just flapped back and forth, not seeming to make much difference to the engine, as far as he could tell, but it didn't seem right so he added the throttle cable.

The added throttle cable does move the butterfly back and forth, but the engine speed is essentially unchanged. (A quick check was done to make sure a butterfly plate actually was in the carby!)

I later learned that the generator engines had an internal fuel control that governed the engine, like above response says. Originally, my generator's engine should have had a carb that look just like a "normal" one from the outside, but that had no butterfly plate or throttle shaft.

Subsequently, I have seen several "Homelite" generator carburetors sell on eBay, that is, ones without the throttle plate butterfly, etc. The sellers were not always completely informing about the lack of a throttle either.

I left the throttle cable on my unit. Push it one way and nothing happens. Push it back the other way, and nothing happens. Butterfly moves back and forth but the engine continues to run at about 3600 rpm, regardless of cable position.

If I l applied a maximum load to the generator, perhaps the throttle would be able to restrict fuel mixture flow enough to slow the engine, but I have not tried this.

That's what I learned about a similar generator. Maybe your carb is also a working, but not completely original replacement.

If the throttle shaft, etc, was removed and the shaft holes plugs with little carburetor plugs, the carb would look more original, except for the stamped model number.

On mine, I'll just leave it for now. I can just let the butterfly flap back and forth or better yet, I'll hold it wide open with the cable!
Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 PM
Subscriber

Liked 413 Times in 299 Posts

Just to show I wasn't kidding, here's a photo of the cable control (not needed) for the carb throttle.

Attached Thumbnails
Homelite15.jpg  
Old 08-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Registered-III

Mine isn't quite as big, they say you can figure watts by multiplying volts by amps. Comes up about 950 watts (115v 8.2A)
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0557.jpg   IMAG0559.jpg