Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

MEP-002a:Basler regulator, no AC output

this thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 2402 times

Old 08-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Registered

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default MEP-002a:Basler regulator, no AC output

MEP-002a with ASK, purchased in 2007, previous owner converted to
Basler AVC63-4 solid state regulator,was always reliable, recently powered 2 fridges, full size freezer TV and lights 15hrs straight in March 2010 storm, this year, engine runs great, but has no power at receptacles.
Field flash at F+ and F- leads (disconnected from regulator) 12vDC for 10 seconds, and reconnecting wires had no effect.

Applying 12V DC to F+ and F- (disconnected from regulator) with prime mover
running immediately resulted in AC power at receptacles, operated
electric drill and 13amp worm drive saw, no problem.

With prime mover running I can't seem to measure any voltage at
F+and F- or Regulator #3 & #4 generator output terminals, but this
is my first time using multi meter.......

Is it correct that the excitor windings once rotating are supposed
to induce enough current at F+ and F- to cause voltage buildup?

Is/can this be a faulty regulator? are the Flight Systems, or Powerxxx
regulators more compatible/reliable with the 002a?

I'm sincerely trying to work my way thru this,not by choice, in central Jersey Generator shops are only interested in selling new machines, reluctantly consider working on civilian Onans(after evaluating how hard a job it is, they seem to prefer"tune ups, oil and filter changes"), and look at you like you're
a terrorist if you suggest bringing a military genset into their shop, it's
like a dirty word to them, no, no, that's very DIFFERENT!.
I'd appreciate any practical diagnostic (for the layman) or regulator replacement advice, I'm at my wits end with this once wonderful machine.
Attached Thumbnails
MVC-003S.JPG   MVC-001S.JPG  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2011, 07:49 PM
Registered-III

Liked 3,304 Times in 1,514 Posts
Default Re: MEP-002a:Basler regulator, no AC output

I have an MEP002A; while fitting a generic regulator, I discovered that the generator retains almost no residual voltage. My set has to be flashed 99% of the time before it will make electricity.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:49 PM
Registered-II

Liked 158 Times in 104 Posts

I have done several 2/3 with the flight system regulators, and I assume that the Baslers are similar. However not knowing what was done to convert, I would say that if you can hook 12 volts to the field and get voltage your end is good. Does the Basler have a fuse in the regulator unit , if so check that, if you start the unit and while starting it hold the start sw down in the flash position and see if your getting ac voltage to the ac input at the VR,if your getting ac there measure your output at the DC + - terminals and see what your reading there is if it is 0, then very likely a bad REG.
The conversions to the Meps is tricky, and the fact that the Flight systems reg had a fused circuit, saved my bacon several times.
The statement above re residual is very true, and that is why I left the flash circuit intact on the ones I converted, but in doing this you need to have a diode, in the field lead to keep the flash voltage from backflowing to the VR.
Let me get the Brides breakfast cooked, then will find info on your reg, and if you like e mail me your ph # ,
Like the background for the Pics,very impressive.
Re
Rick
Old 08-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered-II

Liked 158 Times in 104 Posts

OK,
Printed out a copy of the Basler info, looks like they use 240 volts to operate the regulator, and you need 240 Volts to test it,which is a pain if you do not have a low current 240V Transformer. They also state that there are external fuses on the input of the AC, this you need to find and see if the fuse is blown.
If you start the unit and let it come up to speed and then operate the start switch and holding it over again, like you are starting it, do you see a build up in Voltage? This should be putting DC voltage directly to the fields and creating generator output.
Another thing to try is to disconnect the F+/F_ leads from the Regulator, start the set and apply 12 volts dc,and see if you get AC buildup. There is a diode board in the output box that was part of the original flash circuit. It is packed with diodes, and a resistor, that if one goes you do not get flash voltage to the fields. I removed this and went another direction.
It is tough to not know how the conversion was done, and yes trying to find someone to work on these sets, is impossible, as they were not designed to be fixed on the spot but rather had sections that would quick change, and were depot repaired., Plus the Tech Manual is one of the worst I have seen,and full of errors.
Give me a call if you like, have three in the shop and can try and lead you through some steps that will help you determin what is going on. May just be a fuse.
Re
Rick
206-284-1848