Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Homelite Generator no power output

hi everyone new guy here. i have a homelite generator model 155a50-1a,acwatts 5000, 41.7 amps.the...

this thread has 40 replies and has been viewed 7720 times

Old 09-03-2011, 07:59 PM
Registered-I

Default Homelite Generator no power output

hi everyone new guy here. i have a homelite generator model 155a50-1a,acwatts 5000, 41.7 amps.the last time i used it last year it worked fine after 9volting the field. but now that does'nt even work now.any advice would be helpfull.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2011, 07:02 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: homelite generator no power output

If its a brush type and you tried external excitation again and no go check the brushes and rotor resistance!

Double check that model number and type it EXACTLY as listed on the gen?
It don't look correct!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:12 AM
Registered-I

this is what's on the plate- model 155a50 -1a ,ccl 60, rpm 3600 ,ph1 ,ac watts 5000 ,pf 1.0 ,v 120 ,amp 41.7 serial# 50847083 and yes its a brush type. do i check for resistance with the brush wires connected, and with my ohm meter on what setting. im not to good with the electronic part but ifshowed how i can do it thanks for replying!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncabernet1 View Post
this is what's on the plate- model 155a50 -1a ,ccl 60, rpm 3600 ,ph1 ,ac watts 5000 ,pf 1.0 ,v 120 ,amp 41.7 serial# 50847083 and yes its a brush type. do i check for resistance with the brush wires connected, and with my ohm meter on what setting. im not to good with the electronic part but ifshowed how i can do it thanks for replying!
I found that model number in a clymer small AC generator, 3rd edition, but not ANY info about resistance of rotor, stator, etc. (this manual is no good for good Service info on your Homelite genny.It says the brushes must not be shorter than 3/8 inch long and to watch and put the wiring back on the brushes correctly. (don't reverse the red and black wires) It shows a electrical schematic and the regulator portion has 4 diodes and a resistor connected to one end of the regulator bridge rectifier assembly.

You can google how to ohm test a diode and check all 4 diodes forward and reverse resistance and all should test the same on the meter.
Also look at the resistor and see if it has a value listed or color codes bands on one end and test it for a resistance. (just make sure it's not open.)If you see color bands on one end of the resistor, I can tell you the resistance if you post the colors starting at the band closest to end of the resistor.

The rotor resistance should be somewhere between 5 and 50 ohms (this is just a guess, but most are in this range) brush to brush and ring to ring. Ring to ground (shaft) should be open or infinity! (no resistance)

Keep a heads up and do not operate the gen with the long center fan rotor bolt removed or the rotor can fly off. Use make-up washers for the thickness of the fan when re-installing without the fan. The fan may have to be removed to access the end of the rotor at the brush area.

Summary, check brushes first, then diodes and resistor, then confirm a low resistance of the rotor, ring to tirn, ring to ground, then brush to brush. When exciting the gen you will need to place the pos 12v battery lead on the red wire neg to black at the brushs and immediately disconnect the battery if the gen starts lighting a lamp connected to a receptacle. Best for safety is to connect a 10 amp fuse in one battery lead or the battery could explode from reverse feedback current if the gen starts genning.
The genny does not show any breakers.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Registered-I

thats a good idea about putting washers on bolt to leave fan off for testing. i also had tried to excite field with 12v battery at the begining but wasn't sure what wires to touch, there are two yellow wires comming from windings and two a red and black comiing from brushes.at one point when i touched either the two yellows or the red positve and black neg while not running the engine then when i did start it up i plugged my skill saw in and at one point for a split second the saw started for just a flash second.so should i flash the field while the engine is running with a work light plugged in as long as i put a 10 amp fuse inline first. p.s. what is the square block called the two yellow and red and black wires connected to called
Old 09-05-2011, 10:51 AM

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,104 Posts
Talking Re: homelite generator no power output

That is called your Field Rectifier, and converts the AC from the Output Winding (Yellow Wires) to DC for the Rotating Field Wires. (Red=Positive, Black=Negative) You should test the Rectifier for Shorts, and Opens, with a Ohm Meter. Replace if not correct, and then Flash the Field Winding with your 12 Vdc Source.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered-I

I was looking online and i found a website for '' homelite generator basic dealer service guide" that shows how to test there generators with trouble shooting step by step guide,although my older model isn't in there i hope the basic testing tecnechics are the same
Old 09-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
thats a good idea about putting washers on bolt to leave fan off for testing. i also had tried to excite field with 12v battery at the begining but wasn't sure what wires to touch, there are two yellow wires comming from windings and two a red and black comiing from brushes.at one point when i touched either the two yellows or the red positve and black neg while not running the engine then when i did start it up i plugged my skill saw in and at one point for a split second the saw started for just a flash second.so should i flash the field while the engine is running with a work light plugged in as long as i put a 10 amp fuse inline first. p.s. what is the square block called the two yellow and red and black wires connected to called
BTpost told you correct:
In answer to your question:

Do not connect the battery to the yellow wires! You are running DC amps through the stator winding and this can be bad eventually if left connected.

The following test is too see if you can re-store residual magnetism to the unit that you may have erased. Connect the 12v basttery pos to the red brush wire and the battery neg to the black brush wire. Have a 10 amp fuse in one of the battery leads. Start the gen immediately after connecting the battery or start the engine and then connect a lead to the battery, because the battery is going to spark and the rotor is drawing current from the battery and have the gen idle control set so as the gen engine is running at full speed not idling. Have a lamp, with like a 60 to 100 watt light bulb connected to one of the receptacles. (test your lamp on a 120v receptacle to make sure it's good to go. If the light comes up to full brightness unplug one battery lead and let the gen run run for 5-10 minuites before killing the engine.Kill the engine wuith the load disconnected restart, connect the lamp and see if it self excites. If not do the battery excitation again and let it run longer.
If you have EVER connected the battery polarity backwards you have erased the residual magnetism of the rotor and you are trying to re-store it to normal.
If it does not ever light the bulb with the battery connected or produce any AC voltage on your tester you will have to test the 4 diodes and the resistor (this is the voltage regulator)

Let us know the results of this test. We have another test step that involves connecting directly to the brushs only with the battery and the voltage reg portion of the gen isolated (disconnected) If a diode is shorted and your battery is backfeeding she wont generate properly. Disconnecting the VR will sometimes give you a hint if all elase might be ok when exciting with the battery.

Stay Safe!

post the link where you found the Service guide so as we can review and get on the same page as you?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered-I

ok i'll try that procedure and let you guys know what happens, thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Registered-III

post the link address where you see the Homelite service manual so as we can review?
Old 09-05-2011, 12:10 PM
Registered-I

http://www.scribd.com/doc/47497550/generator-basics
Old 09-09-2011, 12:35 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: Homelite Generator no power output

well i just found some time to test the generator today,i put the 10 amp fuse inline and connected the twelve volt leads red to pos black to neg on brushes with the 60 watt light plugged in but never came on so iwent on that homelite site i posted and tested the rectifier for continuity between contacts,the switching leads from neg to pos on tester first two leads tested ok but third and forth both showed continuity weather iswitched back and forth neg or reverse on vm so they said if test failed the rectifier is shorted.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:15 PM
Registered-I

well i pulled out the field rectifier and the writing says( EDI PAL80 7906).does any one know were i can get this part from? homelite online doesn't show it
Old 09-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered-III

Here is a schematic diagram I sketched from the diagram in the Clymer manual.

This should give you a idea of how to test the diodes and stator windings.

I suggest that you stop running the engine on the gen until you replace the shorted diodes, Because you are sending a AC voltage to the rotor (unless you disconnected at least one of the brush wires when connecting the 12v battery) and also probably overloading the excitation portion of the exciter windings that is supplying the AC voltage to the bridge rectifier.

Although my manual does not list any AC or DC voltages, I woulod guess that the excitation voltage for this generator is probably about 50-80vDC to the rotor for 120AC output, just going by the diagram, but this is just a guess.

I just noticed their should be a connection from the lower recept left terminal to #3. (the recpt is connected across the lower stator winding and is also 120v.

My manual says the gen can be re-wired for 120/240, but most are wired for 120v ONLY from the factory~!

You can replace the diodes at minimal charge. I would look for a diode rating of approx 10 amps with a peak inverse voltage (reverse voltage) rating of at LEAST 250 volts DC. Be sure you do not install the diodes backwards in the ckt and connect all wires exactly as before. Make yourself a sketch of the wiring, etc. Is your diodes all 4 in a molded block or can you see each individual diode??

You might get lucky and just have some shorted diodes and they are cheap enough to replace and tr-test without spending any big bucks. stopping the engine with a heavy load on the gen is sometimes what takes out the regulator diodes.
Attached Thumbnails
img024.jpg  

Last edited by Arkie; 09-09-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-09-2011, 04:56 PM
Registered-I

yea arkie,the diode is a square black block about 1 1/4''X1 1/4''.i'm gona try the small engines shop not far from me to see if they have it.they have all sorts of lawn equipment and other old things laying around there yard. thanks for your help
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered-III

If you dont find it their, get back too us. That is a bridge rectifier assembly, usually 4 terminals, 2 marked AC and a neg and pos on the epoxy block.

I seen those available dirt cheap awhile back from a on-line source for like maybe $5 plus about $6 shipping. I think I may have the source stored somewhere, or maybe someone else will chime it with the on-line source.
I'm not going to search for such unless you inquire further.
Just be sure you get the replacement installed correctly, You might weven place a temporary 5 or 10 amp fuse in one of the AC leads as protection.
I would suggest that you get at least a 6 amp version and 10 amps would be better.

Some guy had posted the info on this site awhile back and I stored the info in some of my gen folders.

Last edited by Arkie; 09-10-2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-10-2011, 07:38 AM
Sponsor

besides the one outlet missing a hot lead [unless it was used for a bonding jumper plug]

the unit seems to regulate by having the ac series resistance fed to the field bridge
[possible open resistor] and a parallel inductive load of the current transformer
the output current windings would be arranged to buck off that parallel load.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered-I

i stoped at the repair shop today but he didn't have one but he gave me the name of a generator repair shop that may carry it.have to wait till mon to see. he also said try radio shack?
Old 09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
i stoped at the repair shop today but he didn't have one but he gave me the name of a generator repair shop that may carry it.have to wait till mon to see. he also said try radio shack?
Here is couple of choices that I google searced as Bridge Rectifier Assembly!
I did not see any dimensions on the 25 amp heavy duty but you would also have to paying shipping.
Rat (Radio) Shack can order this one if not in stock!

Here is one from radio shack. (this one should work.
RadioShack® 8A/400V Full-Wave Bridge Rectifiers
Catalog #: 276-1181 @$2.69

and a heavy duty one from a google search.

Link to 25Amp 400 piv Bridge rectifier@ $2.89
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=bridge+rectifier
Old 09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered-I

thanks for the help, i just called radio shack near me and they have one in stock ,so i'm going over to pick it up.i'll let you know how i make out.then you said i should be able to wire the generator up for 120/240v.then i should be able to put 240v receptacle outlet on the exterior somewhere. but first let me get the power up first