Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Kohler 4GM21 just purchased, minor problems

this thread has 1 replies and has been viewed 1205 times

Old 09-17-2011, 03:57 PM
Registered-I

Default Kohler 4GM21 just purchased, minor problems

I just bought a Kohler 4GM21 13005C 4KW 1800 RPM RV type generator with a cart and fuel tank at a yard sale. The seller said it had not run in 4 years so, as can be expected, the fuel system is cruddy.
I did manage to get it running, it puts out power, too. It didn't run well though and after I put the carburetor fuel bowl back on I couldn't get it to stop leaking. Will have to locate carburetor gaskets.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have a downloadable parts and service manual?
2) Is there a good online source of parts?
3) When was this generator manufactured?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: 4GM21 just purchased, minor problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugle View Post
I just bought a Kohler 4GM21 13005C 4KW 1800 RPM RV type generator with a cart and fuel tank at a yard sale. The seller said it had not run in 4 years so, as can be expected, the fuel system is cruddy.
I did manage to get it running, it puts out power, too. It didn't run well though and after I put the carburetor fuel bowl back on I couldn't get it to stop leaking. Will have to locate carburetor gaskets.

Questions:
1) Does anyone have a downloadable parts and service manual?
2) Is there a good online source of parts?
3) When was this generator manufactured?
The 4GM models were built in the late 70s/early 80s for use specifically in GMC motorhomes. They were a very limited production run (a few thousand, if even that many) and had no other applications in the product line.

That being said, the parts for these can be difficult, if not impossible, to find.

The fuel system parts are pretty generic, so that should not be an issue, but generator end and control parts are probably NLA, even as NOS or rebuilts. Flight Systems might have some boards for these.

These were good units and were very well designed, so you've got a good generator on your hands. No need to panic at this point with a minor item like a carb bowl leak - that can be fixed.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250 For This Post: