Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors / Mowers / Scooters

Bolens Ride-A-Matic w/ Kohler K161 ignition woes

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 776 times

Old 10-28-2013, 08:57 AM
Registered

Default Bolens Ride-A-Matic w/ Kohler K161 ignition woes

Hi everyone,
I am new to this forum and new to the world of tractors. I was lucky enough to inherit a 1961 Bolens Ride-a-matic from my father-in-law which he bought new with a lot of options- starter generator, sno-caster, rotary tiller, lawn roller, and rotary mowing deck. It's in pretty nice shape overall but was side-lined sometime in the 70s and sat unused in his garage for unknown reasons.

This weekend my brother and I started to try to get it running again and it seems to have ignition problems. We replaced the battery and can see a weak spark, nothing substantial enough to start the engine. We filed the points which didn't seem to help much and once we exposed the magneto/coil noticed that some of its protective covering was flaking off of it. We decided it would be a good idea to try and replace it as well as the condenser, points, and plug.

Unfortunately Kohler no longer makes this magneto - I did a search for the part number and found topics on this forum relating to the same issue but some of the threads are a little dated and I am hoping someone can point us in the right direction to find the parts we need.

Here are the details:
Engine: Model K161 Spec.28533E
(or) Breaker assembly: A220474
Magneto/coil: 230075
Condenser: 220082
(or) Magneto assembly: C230089

Any info anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks so much! Diane
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2013, 10:10 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Bolens Ride-A-Matic w/ Kohler K161 ignition woes

Check with the sponsors here on the stak...one of them may offer a replacement coil. If not, Give Standard Magneto a call...http://standardmagneto.com/

They will have the coil you need.....at least they did earlier this year. I ordered one and was quite satisfied.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprkplug:
Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 PM
Registered

Default Re: Bolens Ride-A-Matic w/ Kohler K161 ignition woes

Thanks sprkplug! A sponsor did respond to me and he believes he has the correct coil. I sent him some photos of mine just to be sure and hopefully it will match up to what he has. He also said that generally points don't need replacing after they're cleaned up - I am hoping that the condenser is OK too and won't need replacing......I'll post updates as they happen.....