Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

Wagner Induction Repulsion Motor

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1584 times

Old 09-21-2011, 10:14 AM
Registered-I

Default Wagner Induction Repulsion Motor

Hello all. I have an old 3 hp Wagner induction repulsion motor that I use on a compressor. The motor has worked well for a long time but is now having trouble starting and coming up to final speed. I completely unload the compressor with a manual valve I added and it still has trouble coming up to speed. Once up to speed it will operate the compressor fine. Anyone have any suggestions on what needs fixed? My assumption is that it needs brushes and brush springs. Anyone know where to get these items? Any help you can give would really be appreciated. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,033 Times in 1,785 Posts
Default Re: Wagner Induction Repulsion Motor

Without having seen your motor, I'll guess at the problem. Although it could be suffering from short brushes, it could just as easily have a greasy/dirty commutator or greasy/dirty/stuck brushes.

T'were it mine, I think I'd first do a good cleanup and check for high mica on the commutator. If that didn't do the trick, I'd throw some parts at it.

I have an older friend who, until recently, had an auto/tractor/mower repair shop. His big grinder was powered by an I-R motor. As long as I can remember, he had a trimmed broom handle to push on the brushes to get it up to speed. He told me it was less trouble to do that than to try to find new parts.

ON a compressor, though, I don't think that's a good idea.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
Old 09-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered-III

Default Re: Wagner Induction Repulsion Motor

There is a governor weight that lifts the brushes and short ciruits the commutator bars (connecting them together).there is springs and linkage that tie all this mechanism together.I would pull the ends off the motor and check the brushes,springs,linkage and ring.Clean it up and try it.The governor weights are on the shaft end, with a rod going to the brush end to lift the brushes and operate the shorting mechanism.The motor has a lot of starting torque and when it comes up to speed the bars are shorted together and the rotor becomes a squirel cage.To reverse the motor you just rotate the brush ring.Repulsion-start induction motors were replaced by high capacity,capacitor motors.