Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

New guy from Ontario

this thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 2234 times

Old 10-12-2011, 11:45:12 AM
Registered-I

Default New guy from Ontario

Hi folks,

New guy from Eastern Ontario with a Steam and antique car background. I was first introduced to steam while my Grandfather still ran his sawmill daily with steam until 1976. Beyond that he still kept his Robert Bell 24 hp traction engine that I still have to this day. I grew up with Bob Micheal as a next door neighbor and many of you may or may not have known Bob over the years. He and his brother Bert ran a Steam show in Petawawa for many years that I had attended as a young child, went to many shows etc.. and ran Bobs quarter scale models for him from the age of 10 on until I was about 16. My family ( grandfather Doug Stapley and Wallace) used to do a Steam show in Campbellford in the sixties on to about 1971 when it then went to Norwood Ontario for a few years. My great grandfathers Robert Bell with canopy and cab is at the Milton Museum, Uncle Bruce's Engine, also Bell is at the Stirling AG. museum and still operates as well by my cousin Ed. I get grandfathers engine out and exercise it whenever I get a chance or whenever a neighbor requires steam to thresh on the rarest of occasions. The last Steam events that I've attended have been the Athens Farmersville show where our family is very close to the Tackaberry Family that hosts this event annually. If you have not been to one yet, I highly recommend it. I currently pinstripe auotmobiles, carriages , hit and miss engines and will do your Engines too if requested. I am a traditional pinstriper in the sense that I hand stripe with traditional squirrel hair daggers and One Shot stripers enamel. Looking forward to following this forum and meeting as many like minded folks as possible.
Cheers,
Chris Stapley.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Stapley For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2011, 12:05:18 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,597 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: New guy from Ontario

Hi Chris welcome to the stak. Bill K
The Following User Says Thank You to oldproff For This Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48:16 PM
Subscriber

Hi Cris ............ welcome, I am just south of Belleville, and have been to the different shows you mentioned including the early shows at Campbellford. There are a few Stakkers in Eastern Ontario.

....... Owen http://home.cogeco.ca/~obosma
The Following User Says Thank You to Owen Bosma For This Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 09:05:00 PM

Thanked 17,703 Times in 5,300 Posts
Talking Re: New guy from Ontario

Welcome to Stak Chris.......

You wouldn't happen to know that Mannen guy who hangs in Ontario?....... .......
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 06:36:59 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,150 Times in 873 Posts

Howdy neighbour
The Following User Says Thank You to Contaucreek For This Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 10:01:02 AM
Registered-I

Gonna say not likely, I hadn't been to a steam event in 30 years... Any time I need the smell, I go light a fire in our machine and run around the field...
Old 10-14-2011, 12:01:16 PM
Registered-I

Oops, sorry meant to attach this to make sense,ha,ha..Not too sure that I've ever heard of a Mannen, sorry. Hey Owen, I believe we've chatted briefly at the Stirling Flea market before
you vend over behind the arena,correct? I also recall talking with you a bunch of years back @ a Hastings County plowing match while attending and moving equipment for Bob Mark New Holland when I used to drive the slide off truck. Thanks for the welcomes, who knows, might even get out to an event or two next year?

Here's a little tidbit of my striping and resto work from a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
Welcome to Stak Chris.......

You wouldn't happen to know that Mannen guy who hangs in Ontario?....... .......
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17:35 PM
Subscriber

Hello & a big welcome from Bastrop, Texas
Old 10-14-2011, 03:02:06 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,492 Times in 933 Posts

welcome to the stak chris nice to have another person from ontario on here your grandfathers engine was a regular at the early milton steam era show i belive their is a old photo of him and wally behind it at the show the engine is still in the milton ag museum it is actully in good shape considering the shape of the place now if you went their now you would shake your head the milton steam club wanted it for the 50th show in 2010 but the museum would not let us have itanyway welcome to smokstak.John
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 03:08:42 PM
Registered-I

Thanks John,
I would still love to take the time to come and see the Museum some day, as close as it really is to home I've only seen it going by at 70 moles an hour! That engine was actually ,great grandpa's engine ( Frank Stapley) the one I fire and play with was Doug's. My cousin Ed ( Wallys oldest boy) tried to get it back when the changes happened in Milton but seeing as to how his mother had donated it that was the end of that! I think they hoped for a loophole in the legal end of things as it no longer was the possession of the group that had been given the engine initially, could be wrong as all I heard was moans and groans from Ed and younger cousin Rob whenever they tell the story about not wanting " any of that old junk" when they were younger and wiser! Wish we had a few around our area that were devout steamers, no-one to even talk to regarding engines etc.. within a hundred miles anymore. Too bad really..
Chris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
welcome to the stak chris nice to have another person fron ontario on here your grandfathers engine was a regular at the early milton steam era show i belive their is a old photo of him and wally behind it at the show the engine is still in the milton ag museum it is actully in good shape considering the shape of the place now if you went their now you would shake your head the milton steam club wanted it for the 50th show in 2010 but the museum would not let us have itanyway welcome to smokstak.John
Old 10-14-2011, 03:16:19 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,492 Times in 933 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stapley View Post
Thanks John,
I would still love to take the time to come and see the Museum some day, as close as it really is to home I've only seen it going by at 70 moles an hour! That engine was actually ,great grandpa's engine ( Frank Stapley) the one I fire and play with was Doug's. My cousin Ed ( Wallys oldest boy) tried to get it back when the changes happened in Milton but seeing as to how his mother had donated it that was the end of that! I think they hoped for a loophole in the legal end of things as it no longer was the possession of the group that had been given the engine initially, could be wrong as all I heard was moans and groans from Ed and younger cousin Rob whenever they tell the story about not wanting " any of that old junk" when they were younger and wiser! Wish we had a few around our area that were devout steamers, no-one to even talk to regarding engines etc.. within a hundred miles anymore. Too bad really..
Chris.

if you ever get a chance come down to the museum and stick around for our show labour day weekend the museum also runs a show the third weekend in july fri-sun.John
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post: