Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Antique Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Antique Gas Engine Discussion

Auto-Sparker dynamo by Motsinger

this thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 3023 times

Old 10-29-2011, 03:50 PM
Subscriber

Liked 663 Times in 126 Posts
Default Auto-Sparker dynamo by Motsinger

Auto-Sparker dynamo by Motsinger

In the early days of the gas engines, and those with electric ignition, batteries were expensive and not that good, the Motsinger Manufacturing Company offered a device to eliminate the battery. The engine would have to be spun fast enough to create an output sufficient enough to start the engine, which at the best of times, left something to be desired as it was not always possible, so a battery was still handy thing to have around. The best way to handle the starting issue is to start the engine with the battery and then to switch it over to the dynamo.

Today with a modern sealed lead acid batteries, and a diode it is still possible to show off your working Auto-Sparker, the diode acts as a cut-out relay, and will prevent the battery from back feeding the dynamo. The 3 position switch will allow the engine to start on the battery and then switch it over to the dynamo, the center position is for engine off. When the dynamo voltage rises above the battery voltage it will charge the battery in both positions of the switch B or D.

With dynamo running at maximum (1600 RPM ), the output will be about 14 volts and 5 amps, the dynamo on its own will ignite a make and break spark engine, but not a jump spark ignition, you can operate a jump spark coil with the switch in the battery position. It is possible to run low voltage 12v. lighting with this system, it should not exceed 5 amps total, or you will have a drain on the battery. With the switch in the dynamo position, on a make and break spark engine, and when battery charging and lighting is not needed, the rpm’s of the dynamo may be turned down with the wing nut to about 1000 RPM.

This system does not employ a voltage regulator. Caution should be taken not to over charge the battery.

........... Owen
Attached Thumbnails
scan0003 (Medium).jpg   Oct.2011 009 (Medium).jpg   Oct.2011 010 (Medium).jpg  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2011, 05:45 PM
Subscriber

Liked 1,524 Times in 304 Posts
Default Re: Auto-Sparker dynamo by Motsinger

In original IHC literature it says "By using the auto sparker , the engine is started on batteries, after which the current is turned off and the spark is supplied by the auto sparker. This auto sparker is furnished regularly on all portable and traction engines" The engine was not able to be spun fast enough to make it work without starting on the batteries.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-08-2011, 09:08 PM
Registered-I

Liked 373 Times in 107 Posts

Man I love this site, thanks for posting this. On my trip back to Illinois last week I brought back most of the remaining hand tools of my granddad's (mostly dating from the teens thru the 30s.

Amoung the things I retreived was this Auto Sparker which I didn't have a clue about. I did a search here and found this post with just the information I was hunting for.

I'm currently cleaning and restoring the hand tools but will eventually get around to checking this auto sparker out and probably restoring it. It turns free but the govoner weights are currently frozen. I do have a couple of questions. What does the govenor control, and does any body know what the correct color would be for one that was bought as an individual item?

Thanks again
Old 11-08-2011, 09:47 PM

Liked 14,932 Times in 4,575 Posts

Mike, the dynamo pivots on the base.
The friction drive, obviously, must press against the driving member.
The governor pulls the dynamo away from the driving member, typically a flywheel rim, so it doesn't overspeed.
Consequently, if it's driven by a fast(er) running engine or one with huge flywheels there's always a lot of slipping going on.
Early IHC Famous engines used these extensively and you can usually tell which engines used one by a groove worn into the flywheel rim by the Auto Sparker.
The Following 2 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 11:42 AM
Subscriber

Liked 2,595 Times in 1,505 Posts

I have a Hendrickson dyanomo on a 5 Hp Galloway round rod the last patent date is 1902,I am not really sure if it is orignal, but I do know the farmer that we got it from in the 70,s said he had it but didnt know where it was at,but it did have the bracket still on it,Dad might have got this somewhere else, but I also remember him saying something about the farmer had called and said he found it,I think. But anyways mine has a short coil in between the magnets that you run it through,and a switch that disconnects it so you can hook a battery up to it to start,you would have to be a very BIG man to get this engine spinning fast enough to start it on!,5 " piston and a copression release also.I recently replaced the piston pin,fuel tank (orignal bummer didn't want to do it but its time had come) wtih a hyd oil tank,and all the pins and cam roller pin,after I got it running It will put out 25-26 volts at 170 rpm but drops to about 12 when it needs to fire.Good fail safe item it says 2000 rpms max then the little gov will pull it away from the flywheel,so if something happened to the Gov on engine it would not take off ,I dont think, because it is turning real fast allready at 170 engine speed,A Pic is on my Gallery of it on the Galloway.My brother got the small motzigner to put on the Leader pump engine

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSl...PiZv9TNnMWmjEg

http://augermo.com/home/
Old 11-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Registered-III

Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts

FYI, the original instructions sheet from the Motsinger DC Magneto says "This Magneto will generate sufficient current for starting at a speed of 700 R.P.M.".

-Rick I.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered-I

Liked 373 Times in 107 Posts

While looking for information on the Auto Sparkers I noticed that there are several different sized friction wheels used on them. I suspect that that was/is done to match the unit to different flywheel sizes and engine speeds. Depending on flywheel size and how fast you cranked it getting it to generate enough RPM to fire the coil during hand cranking might not be that hard.

After a couple weeks of soaking with penetrating oil I decided to try and get the Auto Sparker apart.

I got the governor freed up and before I took it apart put power to the output terminals. As a generator if it “motors” then it will generate. It spun right up and the governor even worked.

This is what it now looks like after a bit of cleaning and painting.

Now to work on getting Dads Old Waterloo Boy to go along with it.
The Following 6 Users Like This Post:
Old 11-19-2011, 02:11 PM
Sponsor

Liked 519 Times in 109 Posts

The Motsinger Co. was located in Pendleton, Indiana, and Pendleton was where I graduated from high school. Therefore, Auto-Sparkers are another fascinating link (at least to me) to east central Indiana's agricultural & automotive-based industrial past.
Old 12-26-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered-III

Liked 176 Times in 85 Posts

Aha, I was finally able to get a scan of some original "Motsigner DC Magneto" instructions uploaded on my web site. See http://www.oldengine.org/members/inzero/motsinger.html
It looks like a different model than the photos in this thread, but wanted to post that link for reference.

-Rick I.
The Following 4 Users Like This Post: