Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan MDJE 7.5 - Start Toggle Switch Problem

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 1498 times

Old 11-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Registered

Default Onan MDJE 7.5 - Start Toggle Switch Problem

I have a 1978 ONAN MDJE 7.5 - model D2178 (only number I could find on the block)

My original problem... The start toggle switch located on the Generator would only work intermittently? And the remote start toggle switch worked all the time?

I discovered a couple of problems once I opened up the control box. I replaced the ground wire connected to the control box (which was falling apart), the start solenoid (which was faulty) in the control box (the starter itself was rebuilt earlier). I then tried to start the generator and both start toggle switches did nothing. I decided to then replace the start relay as well (bought from www.onanparts.com). After installing start relay I still had nothing when I tried both start toggle switches? But when I push manually with my finger the little paddle on the back of the start relay with the start toggle switched on the starter turns and the fuel solenoid pulls back just like it is suppose to do and the Generator fires up and runs fine. Pushing the toggle switch down to shut the generator off works fine when the engine is running. This has baffled me as I have checked all the connections... tried different wires as well with no success? One thing I haven't tried is replacing the toggle switch. Has anyone had a similar problem and or does anyone have anymore ideas on what I can do? Thank you for any assistance you can give me.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2011, 10:18 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: Onan MDJE 7.5 - Start Toggle Switch Problem

What did you replace the start solenoid with? A lot look the same but are internally different.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

It was a similar model... and it works fine when I manually activate the start relay so I am assuming it is the correct model.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:52 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,556 Times in 1,972 Posts

Since it will not start with either switch but will stop with them, I would be looking for a bad connection in the wiring between the start switch & the start solenoid. Can you run a jumper wire from the start / stop switch to the start solenoid & activate it?
Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Registered

Update... The starting problem was caused by a incorrect starter solenoid... I am now dealing with a oil leak in the fuel pump and what may be a sticking centrifugal switch (will disassemble and clean). Has anyone had problems with the fiber plunger part 309-0152?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered-II

I have not had a problem with the nylon push pin,it is usually that the cut out switch is out of adjustment,and has been bent too far out for the pin to reach.
You can screw the contact in toward the engine as far as it will go and bend the switch arm down to close the gap then adjust the screw to end up with a .20 gap. Also make sure your switch contacts are clean.
BE SURE TO DISCONNECT THE BATTERY BEFOR WORKING ON THE SWITCH.
I have two complete control boxes,and parts if you get stuck.
Re
R
206-284-1848