Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [eBay Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Support and Information > Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet Welcoming Smokstakers New and Old, a place to say a bit about yourself and post a photo if you're really brave. If you have a technical question, please post it on one of our other boards.

Smokstak Forums Meet and Greet

Hello from Eastern Pennsylvania!

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 1545 times

Old 11-12-2011, 02:00:05 AM
Registered-I

Default Hello from Eastern Pennsylvania!

Hello everyone! I've been checking out the forums here for about a week or so, and have finally taken the plunge and joined. I've been a professional mechanic for over 20 years, working on mainly antique and/or odd machinery. I was originally trained as a clockmaker and machinist, though I haven't used a lathe in many years.

I've recently rediscovered a deep abiding interest in steam power, as well as a renewed interest in early fractional horsepower motors. I have just come into a large collection of steam engines and associated goodies, and I'd like to learn more about these lovely machines. I hope to start posting pictures as soon as I figure out how to work this new-fangled thinky-box...

I'm really looking forward to meeting the like-minded folks around these parts. Howdy!

Frank
AKA Anachrochanic
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 09:38:15 AM
Registered-II

Default Re: Hello from Eastern Pennsylvania!!

Hey Frank,
Welcome aboard. I have a big interest in steam although I mostly collect hit and miss engines and drag saws. I'm in Westminster, Marland, what is your town near?
Anyway, you'll be happy here on Enginads. Always a lot of friendly people to talk to/ help.
Luke
The Following User Says Thank You to Coolhand Luke For This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 11:02:19 AM
Registered-I

Hi Luke, nice to met you! I'm just north of Philadelphia, in Bee-you-tee-ful Bucks County. I don't have a hit or miss engine (yet), but I do have many antique machines besides the steamers. Currently I'm tinkering on a 50's era Elgin outboard - I just have to clean out the carb and it should fire up.
Old 11-12-2011, 11:09:33 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,176 Times in 2,454 Posts

Hi Anachrochanic

I think I'll call you Frank for short!

Does that mean that you are anachronistic? I prefer "Frank". :-)

Not that you aren't the other, too, as most of here are.

Welcome to the Stak! Feel free to join in our insanity.

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand
The Following User Says Thank You to Elden DuRand For This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 12:41:05 PM
Registered-I

Hi Elden, nice to meet you!

Yes indeed, I'm an anachronistic kinda guy. I came up with the handle as a way to decribe what I do - Mechanic of Anachronisms. It rolled off the tongue easier than "Anachro-mechanic".

I can't tell you how many times I've heard a varation of, "What IS that thing?", "How does that work?" and of course the old standby, "Huh?", from folks who stumble into my work spaces.

And Frank works just fine. I even answer to "Hey you!" and the occasional "Yo!".

Frank
Old 11-12-2011, 12:48:16 PM
Subscriber

Frank; Always good to hear from someone getting into the hobby. Have you been going to any engine shows? There two fairly close to you. Jacktown is just outside of Bangor Pa. and Rough and Tumble one mile west of Gap Pa. They always have full size engines and models. If you haven't been to the Cabin Fever Model Show be sure not to miss it in January. Ron
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronald E. McClellan For This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 01:25:42 PM
Registered-I

Hi Ron, nice to meet you!

Sadly, I have not yet been to any shows that are specifically for old engines and equipment, though I have been to plenty of state and grange fairs. There are usually a good crop of antique engines there - find them and you'll usually find me.

I do plan on attending a few shows next season, and thanks for the heads up. I'm actually moving this winter, closer to the Coolsprings show...

Frank
Old 11-12-2011, 01:48:26 PM

Thanked 11,666 Times in 3,588 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachrochanic View Post
I've recently rediscovered a deep abiding interest in steam power, as well as a renewed interest in early fractional horsepower motors. I have just come into a large collection of steam engines and associated goodies, and I'd like to learn more about these lovely machines. Frank
AKA Anachrochanic
Frank,

Do tell us more about your steam engines!

For some odd reason, I prefer traction engines! Come visit us over on the steam forum.

Beth
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 03:12:50 PM
Registered-I

Hi Beth! Nice to meet you!!!

I've posted up a couple of pics of my Corliss model, manufacturer unknown. It's a quite large model with a very heavy cast base, which has the cylinder and bearing saddles integral to the casting. It's a very well done piece,, with a central oiling system and governor, and is very heavy-duty. It may even be an old mill engine that someone dropped a scale railing onto.

The rest seem to be Stuart Turners - so far I've counted around seven of them. There is a very nice diorama with a 10V and boiler all set up - here are a couple pics of that. There are three Watt Beam engines in various stages of finish, all with reverser casting kits included, one as yet unidentified Stuart twin, an old industrial boiler pump engine (the direct drive type with the rod operating the pump), an incomplete steam tractor (came with a book, I think that's what he was making), a bar stock engine that has stumped me so far, and a couple others in pieces and in raw castings. There are at least three boilers (look to be Stuarts), aside from the one on the diorama. I also got several Craftsman machinist's boxes (the kind with the divided plastic drawers) full of all sorts of fitting including globe valves (has to be three dozen of those in there), miniature tube and elbows, whistles, metal stock, taps and dies, drill bits, screws, and on and on. There is also a box full of antique steam books, many textbooks from the turn of the century as well as several old MAP how-to booklets and several sets of blueprints.

Overall, it's a bit overwhelming. I'm still digging through it all.

I'll be posting pictures of the entire lot soon though.

Thanks for the warm welcome!!

Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Photo146.jpg   Photo150.jpg   Photo154.jpg   Photo147.jpg  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anachrochanic For This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 03:22:48 PM
Registered-I

Oops, I made a mistake! The pictures here are of the Stuart diorama with the 10V and associated bits. The pictures of the Corliss are over in the Steam Models section. Sorry for the confusion!

Frank
Old 11-12-2011, 03:28:23 PM

Thanked 11,666 Times in 3,588 Posts

Frank,

Nice engines. You have come to the right spot for information.

I'll be looking for your threads with questions.

Beth
Steam Moderator.
The Following User Says Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 11-12-2011, 06:52:02 PM
Registered-I

On further examination, it looks like there is at least one (though there are parts for a second) Stuart Twin Launch engine as well as a dismantled Stuart No. 4. The upright casting on the No. 4 has a piece broken off, so I would have to get another piece. The twin launch engine needs a good cleaning, honing and paint before it goes back together - it has a bit of wear in the eccentrics that would need attention too. There are many other parts however that still look like they could go together to make an engine, if I can only sort them out.

Frank
Old 11-14-2011, 06:05:33 PM
Subscriber

Hello Frank I see you and I have a thing in common the steam models I dont have any yet but they are cool to look at. Most of the scale model engineers prefer them to run slow. I am a tractor and starionry Engine guy but I guess dad has a wilsecso steam roller and I have a steam car in my room but toehr than that no really cool stuff.

Alex
Old 11-14-2011, 07:47:58 PM
Registered-I

Hello Alex! Nice to meet you.

I have lots of family out your way, in Vermillion - my grandfather was from there, and his siblings stayed local as did many of their children and grandchildren.

It all started with a pair of battered old-but-not-antique Wilescos for me, purchased inexpensively online. Then a friend of mine cleaned out the house of a late machinist and sold me the tools and all the steam stuff, and what a haul it was! I'd instantly joined the hobby in a BIG way. I'm selling off the CNC machine, that should cover the entire cost, allow me to keep the Bridgeport lathe AND make me a little money, too!

Frank
Old 11-16-2011, 10:09:23 PM
Subscriber

Ya Old Vermillion is about 2 hrs south of me here. But it is home to one of the biggest Rivalry colleges in South Dakota with the big well known NCAA Mens Basketball team north of me the South Dakota State Jacks and in Vermillion oh The University of South Dakota Coyotes they are really nice campuses I have been to SDSU alot and to USD for a HS football Game championship.
Hope you enjoy the Stak!