Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion > Kohler Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Kohler Generators Restoring, maintaining and operating vintage Kohler generators.

Kohler Generators

Ford Kohler KOH 350 id?

Hi folks! I acquired a "new" toy and I need a little help with getting it running. It has a Kohler...

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1500 times

Old 12-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Default Ford Kohler KOH 350 id?

Hi folks! I acquired a "new" toy and I need a little help with getting it running. It has a Kohler 8 hp motor and I'm thinking it may be a K181. I'm going to see if I can attach some pictures. Model is a KOH 350, Spec is 14359A (I think), and Ser. # is 081044. These are the numbers on the Gen Head Data Plate. I found a Ser # on the back side of the flywheel cover but I need a magnifing glass to read it. The price was right... I traded it for a B&S 5hp gas tank!
Attached Thumbnails
Gen Data plate.jpg   Gen Side view.jpg   Gen top view.jpg   Gen top view2.jpg  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Ford KOH 350 id?

This is a brand labeled set that Kohler made for Ford in the 1980s. It's equivalent would have been the 5CM in the Kohler line, I believe. Very rare - I don't think there were more than a few of these made, and they may only have been prototypes in the sense of the color and nameplate.

Nothing unique here other than a nameplate and paint color. Otherwise, it's a bone stock 5kW portable.

These are good strong units if well maintained. Might want to find a wheel kit for it, as they are heavy as heck if you haven't already discovered. One of the biggest complaints we got for this product line, however, that came in handy for those that were in commercial service, especially rental houses...

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250:
Old 12-20-2011, 01:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,834 Times in 1,614 Posts

I remember these being sold at the local /Ford farm implement dealer back in the mid 80's. If I remember they were in the neighborhood of $650.00 back then. Taylor rental in New England had some of these as rental units for contractors.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Ok, so if I need a carb kit and a fuel pump diaphram what would I be looking for? I thinking about getting a Jerry can and using Yamaha boat motor fittings for the gas line. I really appreciate the help and the wheel kit is on the "hit parade" right after I get it running.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpockets View Post
Ok, so if I need a carb kit and a fuel pump diaphram what would I be looking for? I thinking about getting a Jerry can and using Yamaha boat motor fittings for the gas line. I really appreciate the help and the wheel kit is on the "hit parade" right after I get it running.
Doesn't look like there is an engine tag on it (this would be a rectangular silver sticker on the shroud below the "On/Off" switch) so you'll have to rely on the generator spec number for engine parts.

The engine parts aren't unique, so it should be fairly simple to find what you need. The carb kit is an easy one, but I believe the rebuild kits for the cast housing fuel pumps are NLA, requiring you to buy one of the plastic bodied pumps as a replacement (other listers please correct me if I'm wrong here.)

There used to be an "extended run" kit sold for the portables that consisted of an outboard motor fuel tank, a quick disconnect for the fuel line and a primer bulb. Of course, you can do all of that yourself for a lot less than the kit costs, if it's even still available.

And I need to correct myself - this would be comparable to a 3.5CM, NOT a 5CM (which is a 5kW model).

I worked for Kohler at the time this was manufactured, and I don't recall a brand labeling program for Ford, but then again, I wasn't doing much with portables at the time.... we were aggressively marketing to the rental houses and some of the commercial supply houses, like Graingers, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to LWB250:
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Thanks! I'm headed to the Small Engine Shop this evening to see what I can get locally. It's gonna be fun to get this little boy running again. Cleaned the carb and found the brass float has a hole in it. Also gonna need a new plug wire. Does anyone know if I can replace JUST the wire or do I need to look for a 'new' magneto unit? This one has the old style end where the wire just touches the end of the spark plug. I'd really like to replace it with one that clips onto the spark plug.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:46 PM
Registered-II

Yes you can replace just the plug wire but I believe you must remove the magneto to replace it. The plug wire is twisted onto a small screw inside the mag. If you purchase a new magneto, the plug wire is not included.