Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Articles] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Chat] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] - [Tools]

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Motors General Discussion Antique Generators, Light Plants and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Motors General Discussion

General Electric Repulsion Induction Motor

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3062 times

Old 12-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Registered-III

Liked 250 Times in 154 Posts
Default General Electric Repulsion Induction Motor

I have a 5 hp GE repulsion Induction motor that I am cleaning up for my metal lathe. can anyone give some inforemation as to the date it was made? there is no serial number, but the model number is stamped onto both the brass tag, and the motor frame itself. the model number is 108582.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-2011, 01:13 PM
Registered-III

Liked 204 Times in 190 Posts
Default Re: General Electric Repulsion Induction Motor

If that is the type that has brushs and they lift after starting, it's as iold as dirt and dinosaur eggs! (might also find some dinosaur DNA inside)

I have some of them oldie's (brush type) still running good!

Post a picture!
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM
Registered-III

Liked 1,106 Times in 882 Posts

What is the frame size number? NEMA "T" frames were introduced at some point which you could look up. (maybe late 1960's). For example a 184 frame became a 184T.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered-III

I couldn't find a frame style on the plate. the latest patent date on it is may 12 1925. On the plate, one line is labeled "Type Ser. and the numbers following are in separate boxes reading : 858 6 5 1200. I'm also a little puzzeled by the fact that I can't find any mechanism that would lift the brushes from the commutator. In fact, the brush dolders are ridgid, and have no means for them to swing away. Does this motor run as a combination repulsion/induction all the time? I have the old girl all apart right now, but will post pictures when I get her cleaned up, painted and re-assembled.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:39 AM
Registered-III

Liked 1,446 Times in 912 Posts

Take some shots of the armature, commutator and ends now, and post them - maybe we can help you.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:04 PM
Subscriber

Liked 155 Times in 120 Posts

RI motors were made in "brush riding" as well as "brush lifting" Either type incorporated a shorting necklace to short the commutator for the induction run portion of operation. The shorting necklace consists of brass pieces strung on a wire that are moved by centrifugal force. Either directly or by flyweights and push-pull rods.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Registered-III

Lloyd, I think this one is brush riding since the brushes are fixed against the commutator, and there is no means for them to swing away. I can't find anything that would match your description of a shorting necklace either. Did some of those motors run on both repulsion and induction at the same time? I just tried to upload some pictures of the armateur, and brush assembly, but it didn't take.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:13 PM
Subscriber

Liked 323 Times in 216 Posts

Repulsion Start Induction Run.
The shorting necklace will be inside the commutator. It will short all the bars together when the motor comes up to speed. The motor then runs as an induction motor.
Jack Hottel
Old 01-06-2012, 01:08 PM
Subscriber

Liked 155 Times in 120 Posts

There are some repulsion only motors as well, but I don't think they were ever made in anything but fractional hp sizes. As Jack's post states, the shorting necklace is inside the commutator and may only be visible with the end bell removed. The centrifugal fly weights are usually on the end of the armature opposite the commutator. If you remove the shorting necklace from the commutator be wary of a broken wire that lets all the little brass pieces fall on the floor. I've only had one that did that, but it was time consuming finding all of them on my dirty floor.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-07-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered-II

Liked 123 Times in 69 Posts

Yes there are repulsion motors.For some good info do a search on Elihu Thompson and his part in the early development of General Electric Co.
Then look at Elihu Thompson compensated repulsion motor.
I have one of these in 3/4 HP probably from a printing press.
Tag reads--well, i'd better just get some pics and post--but an intresting motor. variable speed by shifting the brushes, AC, ring oiled bearings and the brushes have NO connection with the stator.There is NO provision to lift or change the brushes for starting or because of speed but their position controls the speed --range :500-2000 RPM.
made by kimble (kimbel?) electric --chicago ill
last patent date I think 1921- I gotta get pics
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered-III

well I got it all together and test ran it on 110V. (It is a dual voltage motor), and it seemed to come up to sped and run just fine. No arking on the brushes even though they are shot, so I'll be calling upon my local electric motor repair shop for some new ones. when I do finally get this thing in service, I will be running it on 240V. By the way, the motor is reversable by shifting the position of the brush rack.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Registered-III

One more question, the motor has plain bronze bearings and are ring lubricated. will 30wt non detergent oil work ok, or should I be looking at something a little heavier?