Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

I made a Start-Up flow chart. I would like your opinions and advice...

this thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 668 times

Old 02-11-2018, 06:19:43 PM
Registered

Default I made a Start-Up flow chart. I would like your opinions and advice...

Onan 12.0DJC 3/R 2701AA S/N790414084

We're a volunteer organization and, I can't also be here to run this generator.
I've been training others on proper start-up and shut-down procedures but, I feel we need a handy field reference for everyone to have on hand.

I took information from 967-0301 and, my construction safety/maintenance experience. It's a rough draft. I plan on putting the shut-down steps on the reverse side:

"Turn each breaker off 1 at a time"
"Run generator for 5 minutes with all breakers off"
"Hold START switch down in "STOP" position until generator stops running"

Thanks for reading and any suggestions you have,
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Onan Generator Start.pdf (308.3 KB, 74 views)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2018, 06:28:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,396 Posts
Default Re: I made a Start-Up flow chart. I would like your opinions and advice

So, you will be having inexperience people starting, transferring power, and shutting down the 12.0DJC? How about installing an ATS (automatic transfer switch)? It would make the process mindless if all is maintained properly.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 06:29:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,300 Posts

No offense intended, but...

The average person is too technically ignorant to follow that. This is why God made automatic transfer switches.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 06:34:26 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,044 Times in 2,425 Posts

Is there a utility feed involved here?
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 06:50:09 PM
Registered

This Onan is mounted on a Mack truck medium rescue/command vehicle operated by a volunteer public safety org. This vehicle is mostly utilized for our Search and Rescue deployments.

The Onan typically supplies power 240v 1500w quartz tele-light scene lighting. It also has 120v outlets for ventilation fans, mist fans for rehab, printers/computers, etc... no other large loads would be applied.

There's no transferring of loads, we are never powering up a structure and, we have no need for an ATS. As I said, I'm training people in the proper operation, I just want a handy reference/reminder for them when I can't be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
Is there a utility feed involved here?
No. This Onan runs a portable scene command center for search and rescue deployments mostly staffed by trained volunteers
Old 02-11-2018, 06:53:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,399 Times in 1,396 Posts

OK, so now we are understanding the environment that the 12.0DJC will be used in which should have been mentioned in the opening post.

You can write and draw anything you want, but some people will not learn unless they are trained by going through the procedure hands-on just as one needs hands-on training for rescue operations.

my 0.02 cent- If I was in charge of the mission you are undertaking, I would create a comprehensive SHORT video on the proper operation of the 12.0DJC and require anyone that may operate it to watch and fully understand the procedure then drill them on it by physically going through a live drill.

If anyone is untrained in the proper operation of any big equipment including an electric generator, it can lead to death and a huge lawsuit.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 02-11-2018, 06:59:45 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,044 Times in 2,425 Posts

If it were my project, I would try to make the process as close to automatic as possible. Perhaps with an appropriately sized contactor and a couple of time delay relays.

In that environment, your set is in for a real workout. In spite of your best efforts to train, that set will be - in no particular order (1) cranked without preheat, (2) have the preheat switch held in for far too long, (3) shut down under loads (4) started (or trying to start) with load connected, (5) run with low oil, (6) sprayed full of starting fluid (this is usually after #1 or #4).

If it is not plumbed into the truck fuel tank, do so - else you may get (7) fueled with gasoline.

Good luck.

With all due respect, are you sure there is not a possibility of a shore power (i.e. utility feed) into the truck? All of the mobile command trucks and trailers I have worked in and on have had provisions for shore power. Be sure there is ZERO potential for a backfeed to shore power.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 07:14:47 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne 440 View Post
If it were my project, I would try to make the process as close to automatic as possible. Perhaps with an appropriately sized contactor and a couple of time delay relays.

In that environment, your set is in for a real workout. In spite of your best efforts to train, that set will be - in no particular order (1) cranked without preheat, (2) have the preheat switch held in for far too long, (3) shut down under loads (4) started (or trying to start) with load connected, (5) run with low oil, (6) sprayed full of starting fluid (this is usually after #1 or #4).

If it is not plumbed into the truck fuel tank, do so - else you may get (7) fueled with gasoline.

Good luck.
Thanks.

I'm fairly new here and very new to the responsibility I've taken on. TBH, I had seen some of #'s 1-4 happen to this Onan. It's why I stepped up into the position and, I joined this forum so that i could take proper care of this DJC. This 12.0 is built like a tank because, it wasn't destroyed by the abuse. Honestly, i don't know how long that went on for. The Voltage, Frequency and, ampere are all looking good. I can load it and it runs like a champ. My only issue is I need to replace the bowl gasket and, fuel filters.

The Gen is piped into the truck's fuel tank. I'll look into a contact and relays, and start looking where I can save for them in my budget.

thanks for the advice.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:38:17 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: I made a Start-Up flow chart. I would like your opinions and advice...

I've dealt with these situations in the past and have found that if you take a few of the more knowledgeable folks and train them, Then put a flow chart up with the directions you MAY not have any problems. Another thing is to put reminders directly on the machine. Place a cover over the on/off switch with a warning to open breakers before using this switch. Again this MAY help, may not too. Kinda have to handle a volunteer group with kids gloves sometimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to slip knot For This Post:
Old 02-11-2018, 10:24:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,552 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: I made a Start-Up flow chart. I would like your opinions and advice...

We found that a decent video explaining the operation and controls will help a lot with correct operation. When you have the video done do a couple of training sessions to get the muscle memory happening. I try to live by the philosophy that ďIf you canít explain something to a non technical person then you donít understand itĒ It may take a couple of shots to distill it but keep trying. Get your wife to read through or watch and give you feedback. Cheers Dan