Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion Antique Generators and Old Electric Motors: Questions and answers about restoring and showing old power generation systems.

Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion

Alternator on a hit and miss?

this thread has 14 replies and has been viewed 947 times

Old 02-11-2019, 11:40:51 AM
Registered

Default Alternator on a hit and miss?

Hello, all. I've been trying to figure a way of having 120vAC power at shows to run a few old fans, an old Lionel set, etc. I've come to thinking a 10si alternator with a battery and inverter would be the best way of doing this compared to a noisy AC generator. I have an old US Falcon 5hp inboard I wanted to use, but it has no governor and I'm not so sure it would be a safe thing to run the alternator in the event of a load change, it could run away. (Or maybe it wouldn't, but I doubt it). I have an old ZD but I think it's too tired for the task. That leaves me with a '29 Dishpan 2hp FMZ. I have it running at just under rated speed, about 450 rpm. I'm thinking I could use a large pulley or maybe even the flywheel, and by my reading, I could spin the small Alt pulley at about 2500-3000rpm. My question is, how badly would the constant speed changes of the engine effect the alt? I've been thinking of using the 3 wire 10si, or an old spare Ford 1g off my pickup, so I can excite the alt without the excessive speed required by a 1 wire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spenser Rynne For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2019, 11:54:56 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,334 Times in 2,248 Posts
Default Re: Alternator on a hit and miss?

Assuming you are using the alternator with a battery and inverter, the speed changes should not effect the alternator except to limit it's current capacity.

Download this Delco electrical specs guide: http://www.dieselusa.com/productinfo...on%20Guide.pdf

Page 15 shows the range of allowable speeds vs DC output amperes for the 10Si series.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin K For This Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:33:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,523 Posts

Personally I would find a small, old-ish AC generator, and belt drive that at around the correct speed. That way it eliminates the need for a battery and inverter, and will look more correct with the engine. Other than the speed of your fans varying a bit, the speed changes will be harmless.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:39:37 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanman View Post
Personally I would find a small, old-ish AC generator, and belt drive that at around the correct speed. That way it eliminates the need for a battery and inverter, and will look more correct with the engine. Other than the speed of your fans varying a bit, the speed changes will be harmless.
From what I'm reading this will throw the 60 cycle AC all over the place, wouldn't that burn things up? Also. I've been trying to find an old belt driven AC generator for other uses without much luck. I could always use the inverter for other things as well.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59:03 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenser Rynne View Post
From what I'm reading this will throw the 60 cycle AC all over the place,
it shouldnt if you are running a battery & inverter. the only thing you are generating is dc to the battery, and the delco has a its own regulator.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:43:38 PM
Subscriber

Your idea seems ideal to me.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:34:47 PM
Registered-II

Forget the 10SI go with a 12, 17 or best a 25 si
Old 02-11-2019, 03:47:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracy T View Post
it shouldnt if you are running a battery & inverter. the only thing you are generating is dc to the battery, and the delco has a its own regulator.
Oh I understand that. I was replying to the fellow who suggested an AC generator on the hit and miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornbinder89 View Post
Forget the 10SI go with a 12, 17 or best a 25 si
I haven't done much reading on them yet. What's different with them roughly? I'll have to read up on it when I get a minute.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:54:11 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,523 Posts

Yes, the ac frequency would vary as the speed does, but if a simple self excited AC generator was used (all of the smaller old ones were) the voltage will also vary with the speed. So, incandescent lamps would flicker with the hits and the misses, and the fans would slow a bit and speed up a bit, but no harm would come from it.

Small fan motors are designed to operate with so much slip (operating well below synchronous speed), and have so much rotating mass (in relation to their feeble torque output) that they would end up running at a fairly constant speed anyway.

But certainly the small automotive generator (alternator), battery, and inverter would work fine as well. I'd suggest a fairly small one as they are notoriously inefficient. Your small engine may struggle to drive a large one, even with only a modest load on it.

Keith
Old 02-11-2019, 07:54:39 PM
Registered-II

You might have to use something like 10-25 feet of 10 or 12 awg wire, experiment with the length of the wire to prevent the engine from bogging down, the wire Will adding enough resistance in the line.