Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Smokstak Down Under
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Smokstak Down Under For Australia and New Zealand Smokstakers to meet, greet, yabber and yack.

Smokstak Down Under

Here's One for Paul, Hugh and Other Windmill Nuts

this thread has 158 replies and has been viewed 5228 times

Old 06-06-2019, 06:21:27 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,284 Times in 821 Posts
Default Re: Here's One for Paul, Hugh and Other Windmill Nuts

On a more serious note, probably all the hole punching's and shearing/trimming were done on the flat before folding and galvanizing, SC would have done everything themselves like so many others at the time, only have to look at old films of the Sunshine Harvester works or Morts to see the general engineering practice at the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to typak For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2019, 07:51:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,983 Times in 969 Posts

I was thinking along the same lines about the punchings in the legs.I suppose to find out for certain you would need to flatten a piece of the rolled angle,but i'm imagining the bolt holes in the crown of the angle might need to begin life as a special shape,like an oval or slot?
Most small sized towers,15' - 30' for smaller windmills use 3/8" Whitworth bolts.Punching a 3/8" hole on the flat then rolling it with the peak of the bend at the hole would likely render it too tight a space to take a 3/8" bolt?
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 06-06-2019, 09:03:42 AM
Registered-I

Some comments. Paul I had noticed the differences in the Bryan mill castings. Perhaps the casting without a detachable base is a later design but this is a guess. Your 5ft Bryan is a nice little mill but will need new tin ware before long.

Typak, the mill at Oaklands sale looks like a Comet.

Bryan Bros used rolled angle iron with a rounded corner, during WW2. This may have been due to difficulty in obtaining the regular angle iron at the time. I do not expect material would have been imported from China when the older mills were built.

In an earlier post I mentioned items listed in a sale held near Lexton Vic. I now post photos of windmill parts I found of interest. I believe the large crankshaft in lot 61 and the wheel in lot 57 came from an Intercontinental Boring Company (IBC) "Simplex" windmill. Note the large tower cap in the center of the wheel, a feature of these mills. The tails and the wheel in lot 59 are unidentified. Alston parts can be seen in lot 61. The Simplex mill may be well known in Northern states but certainly not down South.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lot 61  2019-05-13 at 9.50.41 pm.jpeg- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	336508   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lot 59 2019-05-13 at 9.45.11 .jpeg- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	336509   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lot 57 2019-05-13 at 9.24.51 pm.jpeg- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	336510   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lot 58 2019-05-13 at 9.39.29 pm.jpeg- resized 1500px.jpg
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	336511  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oil Power For This Post:
Old 06-07-2019, 08:26:41 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Power View Post
Some comments. Paul I had noticed the differences in the Bryan mill castings. Perhaps the casting without a detachable base is a later design but this is a guess.

Your 5ft Bryan is a nice little mill but will need new tin ware before long.

The tails and the wheel in lot 59 are unidentified.
Hugh
Yes Hugh,i tend to agree with you about the Bryan castings.I would expect the Hamilton form to be an earlier production than my own 6' version?

The little 5' as seen in that photo blew over about a year ago.There was a very abrupt cool change that toppled it smashing my front fence,and putting a nasty bend in the top of the speed limit sign out front of home.
I breathed a sigh of relief that the neighbors car was not parked where he likes to leave it.The wheel is straight again,..but still waiting for new sails.None of my cast iron broke in the fall.The Alston tower was about 20'.I sold it and a bloke down at Colac gave me a very early little 15' Bryan tower that needed a straighten.It's heavier and shorter than the Alston tower,with a broader footprint.Hoping it will stay upright,and it will be anchored better when the wheel goes back on.

The wheel (unidentified) in lot 59 and tails,..would you say they are from a Webb?The sails attach to the ring sections with riveted bracket top and bottom typical of a smaller Webb?The 8' Eureka is very similar at the outer rim,but folds the sail over to anchor at the inner ring.
The tails in the background are the subject of lot 58.The vane on the large corrugated tail partly resembles Webb also?I have seen a Webb of around 10' with a 'V' in the end of the tail vane,but also many were rounded as you know.Could this one be altered at the end at some stage?
The strengthening bridge or gable brace on the tail spine reminds me of the way Eureka windmills ad some strength in the same place? My guess is Webb.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57:59 AM
Registered-I

Paul, I agree those parts are very Webb like but the spar of the large tail seems a little different. I post some Webb photos that may be of interest. The tail on the ground was close to the large mill and apparently came from an identical mill. The small mill is at the Kerang Museum.
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Webb DSCN7365- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	336742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Webb tailDSCN7372 2- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	350.7 KB
ID:	336743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Webb, Kerang DSCN7382- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	336744  
Old 06-09-2019, 08:57:15 AM
Subscriber

That's a nice Webb Hugh,but a fair lump!Im trying to work out the size,if it is normal corrie on the tail vane or mini orb?
The smaller Webb wheel on the ground follows the Eureka idea of folding the bottom of the sail to attach to the inner wheel ring.It seems that changes in production methods rule out any hard and fast design features over a long period.
I have a favour to ask of you Hugh.Do you think you may be able to help me identify this windmill engine assembly?I had made the acquaintance of a chap in Perth the other day,who was selling an open geared Monitor Windmill.It was fairly cheap but rough.
He also had this assembly and asked me did I know what make or model it might be?
I told him I might ask around for an answer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	336745  
Old 06-10-2019, 11:13:44 PM
Registered-I

Hi paul, I see your mention about the cast iron trough covers and you said you had not seen a Bruce and McClure one, I am fairly certain the trough at the Brodie brothers auction at Wangoom had a cover with cast ends which were bruce and mcclure. I could be wrong though. not sure where the trough ended up but it did fetch a decent price.
Old 06-11-2019, 12:01:25 AM
Subscriber

Hi Nathan,if you mean the galvanised stock trough that was out to the East of the house you would be very close.As far as I understood it,it was not officially in the sale until the neighbouring lots were sold and a decision was made?That or similar?I was there for part of the discussion.
It was an Owen Bro's trough,having cast float valve cover ends.
Owen's of Warrnambool took over from Bruce & McClure around the Late 40s or early 50s,and continued with a lot of the product range at the time.Rebranding and badging were the most obvious changes at the time,and more telltale developments naturally followed.
I came home with an Owen's windmill head,including wheel and tail.Almost all parts from it will interchange with the earlier B&M windmills.
The Bruce & McClure troughs in the 1913 catalogue have embossed cast iron trough ends.I can't recall but would assume the float valve covers were cast embossed nameplate types as well like the Brodie's trough?
Here is what I am telling myself might just be a Bruce & McClure water tank.This one is situated East of Warrnambool,and another similar tank is located in a prominent position in South Warrnambool.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	336928  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 05:59:38 AM
Registered-I

Ahh yes you are right Paul it was Owens, Memory played a trick on me. The tank in your picture was that for railway or something? It seems very serious and heavy engineered if just for a farm?
Old 06-11-2019, 06:28:19 AM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Richardson View Post
That's a nice Webb Hugh,but a fair lump!Im trying to work out the size,if it is normal corrie on the tail vane or mini orb?
The smaller Webb wheel on the ground follows the Eureka idea of folding the bottom of the sail to attach to the inner wheel ring.It seems that changes in production methods rule out any hard and fast design features over a long period.
I have a favour to ask of you Hugh.Do you think you may be able to help me identify this windmill engine assembly?I had made the acquaintance of a chap in Perth the other day,who was selling an open geared Monitor Windmill.It was fairly cheap but rough.
He also had this assembly and asked me did I know what make or model it might be?
another variation of a ding dong , blacksmith in Aldersyde , was making windmills, as his name was bell, mill was called a ding dong, Quairading vintage club has an example
The Following User Says Thank You to ozfarm For This Post:
Old 06-11-2019, 07:39:20 AM
Subscriber

The tank has that look about it Nathan,no doubt.It would look good on location at LGS or somewhere similar,watering a steamer.
I'm guessing that the property may have been a larger holding at one stage,and it had been ordered originally to do the job it is still doing today,watering stock?
The other one in town is parked right beside the rail line,not far from the station.I might try for a photo of it as well when i pass next?
From what i can gather reading the catalog the tanks were generally available for stock watering purposes,but as you can see the style would suit a number of heavy industry purposes as well back in the day.
The other icon from the catalog that still survives locally is the sandstone tank stand,positioned at the entrance of Deacon University.It's only a few minutes down the road here from home.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:21:42 AM
Registered-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozfarm View Post
another variation of a ding dong , blacksmith in Aldersyde , was making windmills, as his name was bell, mill was called a ding dong, Quairading vintage club has an example
Not the only Ding Dong around Quairading so I hear.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:36:24 AM
Registered-I

Quote:

That Webb is quite a large mill, perhaps 16 - 20 ft. Not mini orb.
I cannot recall having ever seen a mill engine like the one you illustrate. Some more photos might help. It seems to be rather cobbled together, particularly the tail vane hinge.

Regarding the large tank. Thought these photos might be of interest. An 18ft Abraham windmill was mounted on a tank at the Waubra railway station in about 1893. The tank was mounted over a well and the pump rod went through a tube in the center of the tank. The tank was transferred to the Ballarat East railway yards and more recently taken down for re location to Clunes. The internal photo was taken through an opening in the tank, while the tank was on the ground. I wonder if the steel work in the top of the tank was normal practice or specially made to carry a windmill. Tanks like this were used a lot by the Victorian Railways, but who made them?
Hugh
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Waubra 1 1917 1359- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	336991   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waubra 2 DSCN4523- resized 1500px.jpg
Size:	112.8 KB
ID:	336992   Click image for larger version

Name:	Waubra 3 DSCN5494- resized 1500px.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	336993  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oil Power For This Post:
Old 06-12-2019, 07:45:47 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Freeman View Post
Not the only Ding Dong around Quairading so I hear.
ive been hearing reports of one in maddington
Old 06-12-2019, 08:54:47 PM
Subscriber

Although i can't recall seeing it I'm pretty sure an acquaintance of mine in the West has one and has restored it?
It would seem that most of the Ding-dongs in the country are located in the West!?................
Old 06-12-2019, 09:57:22 PM
Registered-II

Quote:
Although i can't recall seeing it I'm pretty sure an acquaintance of mine in the West has one and has restored it?
It would seem that most of the Ding-dongs in the country are located in the West!?................
is that acquaintance of yours , jim sawyer ?
Old 06-12-2019, 10:14:36 PM
Subscriber

Yes,a couple of years ago Jim and Betty took a drive over my way.He always asks me "are you being a good boy"?,..and I always give him the same answer.
He did find a few Ding-dongs over here as well,but not the windmill variety.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:39:58 AM
Registered-II

jims ding dong came from me, I had picked up a complete one and remains of one

gave jim the remains and the complete one to use as a template, he restored the complete for the QVC as thanks
Old 06-14-2019, 10:37:44 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
I had made the acquaintance of a chap in Perth the other day,who was selling an open geared Monitor Windmill.
.......my windmill enthusiast mate Jim from the West got wind of this windmill talk going on here,so he contacted me to first ask me 'am i being a good boy',and to also let me know that the mystery windmill assembly in post #86 was in fact manufactured by the 'State Implement Works' in W.A. and the model is known as a "Baby".He did also own one or two of these and various parts of one.

.........(Thanks Hugh,....thanks Jim)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Richardson For This Post:
Old 06-17-2019, 11:13:13 PM
Registered-II

Jesus. Now I'm actually looking for the things.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190618_121310.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	337363   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_121350.jpg
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	337364   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190618_121429.jpg
Views:	24