Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Looking for WWII Willys engine powered Genset

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 13529 times

Old 09-12-2004, 04:06:23 AM
macjeeper

Default Looking for WWII Willys engine powered Genset

I have been involved in Jeeps for along time and haven't found any info yet regarding WWII Willys Jeep powered GenSets, w/4 cyl. flat-head engines.

I saw one example this summer at the Willys America Open House in Cazadero, CA and since been looking to obtain one to restore and operate. I'm located in CA between SAC & OAKLAND!

What were the applications or model numbers of the gensets? What military manuals should I look for? I hope this site is a good resource and informative! Thanks, Mac
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2004, 04:13:44 PM
harvey teal

Default Re: Looking for WWII Willys engine powered Genset

Mac, you're looking for the venerable PE-93H or PE-93G 10KW unit. They were used from 1943 right up into the Vietnam war. The -G's generator was made by Onan and the -H by Okeefe & Merritt. Many are still in service. Mine has the original spare parts kit and manual. You should be able to find them on the West Coast. They are heavy little buggers, probably cost more to ship one than to buy it.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:53:22 PM
harvey teal

Sorry, Mac, You're looking for a PE-95, not a PE-93!!! Again, generators and tech manuals should be available everywhere. If you have trouble finding a manual, I'll send you a copy after I scan it.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:01:13 AM
macjeeper

Thanks for the help, I went to the Surplus City Military Vehicle & Swap Meet last Sunday at the last minute in Oroville, CA and inquired about the manual &/or gensets if they were available? I can probably get the manual at least! Finding a PE-95 genset is a probable, now that I know what I'm looking for, I'll be checking alot of the Utility companies or maybe some of local city corporation yards, etc....or maybe some of the farmers in the Delta or the central valley. It's like what I do when going to the recycling yards for JEEP parts. Next month there will be a military vehicle swap meet at Gridley, CA May find some sources there or maybe even advertise in the Wanted section of the military vehicles magazine if I get desperate..........Thanks, for all the help! Mac
Old 09-19-2004, 06:10:16 PM
harvey teal

Keep looking, Mac. They're out there. Talk to welding suppliers, especially one who has been in business for a long time. These guys seem to know where to find this kind of iron. Also Weldors seem to collect this stuff. I have some spare parts if you need them.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:56:29 AM
Registered

I've an O'Keefe and Merritt KE-95-K generator, wf 64 hours on the time meter. I found you as it recently stopped making electricity unless you energize the series coil with the starter switch. I too, have been looking for technical drawings concerning the specific wiring of the DC motor/12 volt excitor generator which apparently energizes the big dynamo. Engine runs great.
Anybody want to buy it? Or does anyone know of a source for technical specifications which might allow me to repair it?

Richard Kilburn kilburnmeister@sbcglobal.net
Old 09-30-2005, 12:15:21 AM
Registered

Macjeeper, I have a pe-95 I am thinking of selling. Has a Willys 4 E-mail me for any additional details. Located So. Utah
Old 09-13-2006, 07:39:01 PM
Registered

I have one was father used it to run house on here in va it has about 50 hours of operation on it and I am looking to sell it I have no idea what its worth nor do I know anything about the maintence or upkeep of them....if interested give me a email at
scrumptiously_wicked_one@yahoo.com

regarding WW2 Navy generator w/ willeys jeep engine
Old 02-05-2008, 01:02:08 PM
Registered

I have copies of TM11-904 from '45 and c1 from '53 also copies of the TO 16-40 and PE95-6 if you need some reference material.nconklin@sbcglobal.net
Old 03-10-2008, 09:36:57 PM
Registered

Macjeeper
I was looking through the posts and came across this thread. I know you are in a land far far away but thought you might be interested. I belong to a fishing camp here in Ontario Canada and there is a family that had been caretakers on the lake for generations. In the woods behind their store are 3 old jeeps and a right hand drive small military truck. At their home they have an old Dodge military truck that until three years ago was used to plow snow. The last two surrviving members of the family are in their 60's and 70's. Would you know of anyone interested in what they have.
I think they still have every car and truck they ever owned.
I don't see a way to email you but I hang out on the old Onan site every day.
Ben
Old 04-25-2009, 01:05:42 PM
Registered

I have a PU 58/G Gen Set. Before I get serious about selling it I have like to verify that it is a 10 kw unit. It appears to be WWll era, has a Willys industrial motor and O'Keefe and Merritt generator. Also is there any tech data available for this unit?

Last edited by BTPost; 04-26-2009 at 02:54:33 PM. Reason: Policy Violation
Old 04-26-2009, 06:44:24 AM
Registered

5KW 120/240 3 wire 1200 RPM Technical Manual "TM 11-980"
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Mc For This Post:
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24:51 AM
Subscriber

I see quite a few generators on eBay wherein the seller says it is powered by a "Jeep" engine. Sometimes they are; sometimes they have a little 4 banger flathead that is not a "Jeep" engine at all.

Here is one right now that I can't tell what it is:

http://ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190302602346
Old 04-28-2009, 09:39:36 PM
Registered

the one we have is the willys jeep engine that one on ebay doesn't look like the willys jeep engine
Old 06-22-2009, 12:18:56 AM
Registered

I just bought a dual fuel PE95 by O&M all there even has a crank, stiff turning from years in a shed. I would trade it for a complete running with all accessories fan to bell housing Willys engine to fit my Empire tractor. Otherwise I will use this one. I bought the tractor with nothing between the tranny and radiator. Can anyone explain the operation of the governor on the genset? Looks like some kind of hydraulic control by oil pressure. Never seen one like it.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:33:55 PM
Registered

Default Looking for WWII Willys engine powered Genset

There are two Willys powered 10KW gensets for sale in the Reno area. I think I saw them on Craigslist, but not sure.

OK the willys gensets have been found. Check out Craigslist Reno Tahoe area, look on Fri, June 26 under tools catagory. Good luck,
William W.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:17:58 PM
Registered

Location: Auburn, CA. in the Sierra-Nevada Foothills on the way to Reno

I have an old PU/58G with a seized engine, don't know what condition the generator is in. I want to get rid of, so make me a decent offer!! Don in Auburn, CA., 30 miles East of Sacramento on IS-80.

Last edited by BTPost; 07-14-2009 at 06:28:13 PM. Reason: No Phone Numbers Please These posts are indexed by Google
Old 10-05-2009, 05:22:09 PM
Registered

PU-58G was what you are describing. I had some when in the Air Force. 4 cylinder 5 kw 120/240 single phase. They were the most dependable one I ever used. Never any trouble. Originally Army units, from about 1945
Old 10-20-2009, 12:29:46 AM
Registered

I have the manuals you need for the pe95k, send me a # and I'll send a copy of the diagram. Nick
Old 12-15-2009, 12:58:40 AM
Registered

Hi Mac, I'll try again. There are two.(2) 10 KW Willys powered gensets for sale again on craigslist. The guy says one has been rebuilt to the tune of 1800.00 He wants to sell them for 3500.00 OR he will sell just one.

Craigslist, 14 DEC. reno/tahoe General catagory
I already have a PE95-C or I would be after at least one of those.

William W.