Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Tech Star 35G Saavy?

this thread has 59 replies and has been viewed 1446 times

Old 01-07-2018, 01:15:04 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,387 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: Onan Tech Star 35G Saavy?

Always one of my favorites to watch...listen to that rod sound like a buzz saw against the internals just prior to grenading. Thats why its OSHA rule to not be in a dyno room while testing, and never a good idea to be along side an engine when load banking at full load. You may or may not get that "buzz saw" warning sound a couple seconds prior to the event.

https://youtu.be/ZfttA0mds-c
The Following User Says Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 01:25:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,676 Posts

Eric. It is even more fun when a part. Goes between your legs. Just below a special part. Makes you sit in your truck. Saying a few prayers.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:57:07 PM
Email NOT Working

I don't stand along side any engine or fan, no matter what the RPM, any more than I can help it when running, loaded or not. And definitely never when starting, should the governor have a hard time getting control of it.

I've seen what can happen and I don't want to be there when it does.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Birken Vogt For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 02:06:05 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,104 Posts

Heck, when on a locomotive under full load, especially those 4400 hp, 16 cylinder GEs, and needing to walk between front and back, I would jog past the engine itself lol. And those were only blasting along at ~1050 rpm!

That model of engine was known for puking power assemblies. More like launching them. After busting through the adjacent door, and then bending the 1" solid steel handrail, they were known to fly along ways from the tracks, sometimes even into someone's house, via their roof!

Those are "old" now, curiously having been replaced with a V 12 of the same rating. So far as I know, the new ones don't have this problem.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:38:56 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,336 Posts

What are you guys talkin about? Why would a GE locomotive engine fly apart if properly maintained? What would cause a diesel no less to fly apart?

I'll tell you something that makes me take notice around here especially in th Summer time. That is these inter city CNG fired busses with the engine in the back and that cooling fan screaming. I often wonder how fast it is spinning and is there a danger it could fly apart and hurt someone? They are very noisey.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:58:32 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,387 Times in 752 Posts

Leon, those gas engines make a lot of heat, and given the engine location, ventilation isn't the greatest. I believe the bulk of the noise you hear on those is the fan, which if variable, is likely locked into direct drive on hot summer days for most of the time the engine is loaded... same as standing directly in front of a direct discharge radiator on a genset. (and possibly with an even higher fan hub drive ratio than a genset due to the poor ergonomics of rear engine compartments.)

As for the old diesels, my belief is that big iron will break in a big way, albeit a rare occurrence. Just the physics of large quantities of rotating mass. No different than a small engine failure, just much more dramatic due to said mass.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:11:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,104 Posts

Leon, those engines were just known to fail in that way. Statistically rare, yes, but across thousands of units it's happened a number of times, and, as was stated, catastrophic.

Their air tanks have also been known to explode. Not as scary if you were up on the engine, but when on the ground I used to run past those too lol.

My point in the discussion of our fear of 3600 RPM engines was that I used to jog past those GEs, even though they were only running around 1000 RPM.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:20:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,677 Times in 4,118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon N. View Post
What are you guys talkin about? Why would a GE locomotive engine fly apart if properly maintained? What would cause a diesel no less to fly apart?
Maybe it wasn't.

Or maybe it was designed too close to the edge , with little safty margin. We all know how managers push for cost when we know they shouldn't.
The Following User Says Thank You to len k For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 03:31:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,533 Times in 1,323 Posts

I had one of those Military 2A042 5kw 2 cylinder generators. It ran at 3600 rpm. It had tremendous electric motor starting power probably due to the mass turning so fast. I had it in a partially enclosed car port with a 16 gallon keg to feed it. It served me well but you couldn't be near it without ear protection. The bad part was the hydraulic lifters would not pump up some times and that poor thing would be running at speed with one or more of the lifters banging away.
The military manuals for it showed how to built a revetment with two layers of sand bags. Don't know if that was to quiet it down or to catch the shrapnel when it exploded.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:45:21 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,239 Times in 1,336 Posts

Interesting. I have a question about those noisey radiator cooled fans. Is it true, if you spin such a fan to fast, it looses efficiency and will merely spin and not move much air? Is there an optimum speed for any fixed bladed fan?