Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Genset 100kw ENBA NG to Propane Questions

this thread has 65 replies and has been viewed 2786 times

Old 12-23-2017, 08:10:09 PM
Registered

Default Re: Genset 100kw ENBA NG to Propane Questions

Although its EXTREMELY difficult for me to listen to anyone I am reconfiguring the setup with a flexible hose, getting rid of the Maxitrol and replacing the yellow gas line per the advice in the last few posts.

Now that the reg will sit lower in the chassis I am considering using a brass nipple (maybe 3") to connect the fuel lock directly over the gassifier/reg. and doing away with any flexible hose between the fuel lock and regulator. Both the reg and fuel lock could be connected to the same plate bracket. -Anyone have any thoughts on what I am proposing?

~JH
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2017, 09:54:10 PM
Registered-I

With the EB vaporizer-regulator and the VFF30 lock-off mounted on the same bracket so there is no relative movement between them (movement due to vibration) that should be okay as long as there is no strain on either connection boss. You may find that a short flex hose will make the installation easier and this can be made using the wire-reinforced liquid lp-gas hose that was mentioned in an earlier post. This hose is used in vehicle autogas installations. Your local lp-gas supplier or Carburetion and Turbo Systems Inc. can provide this hose and the appropriate fittings.
Old 12-31-2017, 01:33:42 AM
Registered

Today I got to run big pig for more than just a few minutes. Got the coolant lines ran to the vaporizor, vac line to the lock off, coolant added and a new battery.

-I still need to fab a bracket for the lock off/vaporizor assembly and get a few 90s for the coolant lines (getting kinked when the vaporizor is in its mounting position).

I was concerned there was something wrong with the unit because it bellowed what looked like white smoke at startup but it was steam from water that must of leaked into the muffler. It went away after a few minutes of running (*and had no smell). After a restart after it cooled down resulted in no additional steam.

I ran it for about an hour using a 30lb lpg forklift tank (*it did feel a little lighter after running it this long but not hugely noticeable). Before I put the coolant lines on the vaporizor it would frost up in about 3 minutes at idle. After an hour the vaporizor was hot to the touch AND the gas line from the vaporizor to the mixer was warmer than ambient.

-It looks like the liquid to gas vaporizor will work perfect for this application.

I was concerned that routing the thermostat feed tube through the vaporizor was not allowing the thermostat to open because it took FOREVER for the temp gauge registered any movement, although it was blowing warm air out of the rad. After about 10 minutes the gauge did start to show temp so it was all good on that front (engine never seemed like it was getting too hot).

Now...figuring out how to wire the beast to the switcher and where its final mounting location will be.

~JH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jonny Hotnuts For This Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 01:10:41 PM
Registered-I

It is good to know you are making progress.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:30:37 PM
Registered

Hey Johnny, I'm making the same conversion on a similar generator, Onan 75 ENT L, and learning as I go. This website is a great source of information.

One thing I learned today and missed if you covered it here, is the carburetor diaphragm may need to be changed. Pull the air cleaner and remove the five screws on top of the carb to remove the top plate and diaphragm. If it has a copper colored bullet shaped part in the bottom center of the diaphragm it's designed for natural gas. You won't be able to lean it enough just using the adjustment on the inlet side of the carb without changing this diaphragm to one meant for propane.

I understand it could have a diaphragm with an aluminum colored bullet that might also work for propane. The guys at

CARBURETION & TURBO SYSTEMS, INC.
1897 Eagle Creek Boulevard
Shakopee, MN 55379
Tel: (952) 445-3910 / Fax: (952) 445-6070

have been very helpful and have everything you could need at good prices.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:43:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,240 Times in 1,299 Posts

^

I've been a customer of theirs for >20 years. Top notch outfit, IMO.

https://carbturbo.com/