Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 50DGCA Fuel Solenoid

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 763 times

Old 01-07-2018, 05:56:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan 50DGCA Fuel Solenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWood View Post
Unplug the actuator at those two red-wire pigtail connectors, to do the battery "click" test.

IF all the tests check out, and all is wired back correctly (verify the battery + terminal is getting voltage during cranking), then, if the multimeter has a duty cycle setting on the DC voltage scale, put the leads on the actuator output of the blue box while having a buddy crank the engine, and see if it shows anything. If duty cycle isn't present, ie, 0% (and I'm guessing you'd maybe see anywhere from 35-55% with that box), then the blue controller is bad.
For clarification: The actuator output. would that be these terminals" (See attached pic.)
Measuring ohms on mpu: Remove wire and measure between terminal and wire, then repeat for the other wire?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	299954  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2018, 08:23:24 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,365 Times in 745 Posts

Yes, "ACT" terminals are the actuator driver terminals. You would measure for duty cycle on those terminals, while engine is cranking.

Measuring ohms on MPU--remove both wires from "MPU" terminals, and measure across the wires with ohm meter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 12:43:08 AM
Registered

Sorry for being so long to get back here. I've found a burned fuse (F2). Still hunting around here for a replacement.
I don't know why I'm not getting any cooperation from my boss or the maintenance guy. Seems strange that such a simple problem would've needed a jury-rig workaround to keep running during the summer season so I expect there's a deeper problem.
It's hard to believe that he wouldn't have found something as simple as a burned fuse but what's even more confounding is why he didn't tell me about the problem or why he dismantled his jury-rig.

This is quite the outfit here. No 20 amp fuses to be found but he's ready to fly in scuba welders to fix a waterlogging dock pontoon that sits on the ground and dries out at low tide.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:02:00 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,365 Times in 745 Posts

Ron,

F2 is for switched B+. If you're curious enough, just stop by an automotive store (if you have one nearby) and buy a couple yourself. Standard/cheap-size automotive fuse.

Fuse may have been blown by a defective component, or because someone "zapped" it, by attempting to move wires around while running.

If this is for a resort or some such commercial purpose, I would suggest the management put consideration into getting that thing to operate correctly, if customers/clientele are running their electrical accessories off of it when it is needed.

Eric
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 07:24:09 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,547 Times in 986 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingInfidel View Post
Oh awesome man, yeah the spec number is 68112J. I still haven't heard back from the boss so that's great, thanks.

Ron

Yeah they're all white, alright. I haven't looked so close as to see any numbers yet. I'll have a glance at them when I go out to shut the Deutz down tonight.

The two red wires do go to the controller and there are a bunch of other wires that connect there as well.
Here's the weird thing.... the first two terminals on the controller are marked + & -. The - goes over to the other side of the block and attaches to the grd lug, of course. The + goes over to the other side of the block and attaches to another grd lug. So what is up with that?
It seems like a no-brainer to take that wire off of that grd lug and put it to power but since I am not familiar with how the thing is wired, I figure I best leave it.
So another question I have is this. I understand how this is supposed to work, in theory. You power up the solenoid (or governor) to open the valve allowing fuel to the injection pump but normally there is a positive wire to open the valve and then another positive to keep it open, then there is a ground. So I don't fully understand how this can work with only one positive and a grd.
Also, with a push-button start, I don't see how it's wired so that the starter solenoid is not always engaging the starter pinion.

Also, I tried uploading pics for the thread but it didn't work. Any tips on that lol

Thanks for the responses fellas!

Cheers,

Ron
The wire marked + coming off of the controller goes to the B26 Terminal. With the engine off, no power there, when the engine is commanded to start, should see battery voltage there. Also used for a lot of other possible functions such as open louvers, start a pump or fan, etc.

Tell ya what. Pay my air fare up and back, hotle and feed me, I'll fix it for you and give you a good class on proper operation and basic trouble shooting to your Onan.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,467 Times in 2,122 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
...Tell ya what. Pay my air fare up and back, hotle and feed me, I'll fix it for you and give you a good class on proper operation and basic trouble shooting to your Onan.
Note to the OP- the above will be money well spent, if you can arrange same.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 02:15:59 PM
Registered

Lol, well thanks to everyone who chimed in but especially for the manual. And, thanks for the above offer but that would be the most expensive fuse change ever. Yes, that's what it was. I found a new fuse for it. It's been running since yesterday without a hiccup.

Now, on the subject of the mechanical department around here. Maybe you'd like to apply for a job for next summer. Cleary they need someone with more than a farmboy approach to the heartbeat of their business.

I cannot believe that he jury-rigged a 12V battery to operate the fuel supply, on a 24V system when all he had to do was change a F'n fuse!

Thanks again for the manual and the advice guys!
The Following User Says Thank You to SailingInfidel For This Post: