Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 15.0 RDJC-4R/!4AA Fuel Pump

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 584 times

Old 08-15-2017, 08:10:28 AM
Registered

Default Onan 15.0 RDJC-4R/!4AA Fuel Pump

Good day all.

I have come upon a commercial 15.0RDJC-4R/!4AA, S/N J770277358. I understand it to be going on 30 years old this Oct, and basically I need to know if there is an option for the mechanical fuel pump (lift pump, not injector) as far as a replacement.

What I have, is a leaking fuel bowl. I have replaced the gaskets with cork, rubber, etc. and cannot get it to stop leaking-0ther than briefly. I am wondering if there is a fracture, or hair line crack in the cast aluminum housing, as it seems to get worse when I attempt to tighten up the glass bowl screw to stop the leak.

Unfortunately, this is a one-piece assembly, fuel bowl & lift pump, so replacing or removing the fuel bowl is not an option. The part number shows to be 149-1904. But, I cannot find one with searches.

So, is there an electric option for this situation? Where we can remove the mechanical pump, cover the opening with a blank plate?

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2017, 09:00:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 15,021 Times in 7,082 Posts
Default Re: Rdjc

Check out Facet pumps. 5lb should do just fine. Others will be along to tell what they used.
Old 08-15-2017, 09:12:53 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,381 Times in 1,498 Posts

I have a oily dirty mechanical fuel pump for a diesel j series I would sell for a good price .. needs a good cleaning but does not leak..

I've had that happen often when buying a old j series that has sat to long.. has junk in the bowl and I can't just leave it alone and take it apart knowing I'll have to make another gasket.. I would take it off the machine and take the bowl off and look for hair line cracks with a magnifying glass.. could just be the bowl that's cracked at the top

Err.. I guess reading things at 6 am is to much for me
. Your saying the glass bowl is not removable?? But you replaced the gasket ?? I don't follow? can you post a picture??

Your machine was built 10 of 77..

Last edited by YellowLister; 08-15-2017 at 09:23:41 AM.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:12:24 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,687 Times in 3,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy J Shafer View Post
Check out Facet pumps. 5lb should do just fine. Others will be along to tell what they used.
This would be my choice . This also eliminates chances of a ruptured diaphragm allowing fuel to leak into crank case and contaminate the engine oil. A small piece of 1/4" flat steel and some gasket material will seal the opening in the block.
The Following User Says Thank You to Max Thompson For This Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 07:08:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan 15.0 RDJC-4R/!4AA Fuel Pump

Thank you everyone for the comments and suggestions. I will likely replace the lift pump-fuel bowl assembly with an electric as has been suggested.

I have cringed every time I have tightened up on the base screw for the glass fuel bowl, thinking surely this will be the time that I break it, but also thinking maybe a little tighter and it will stop leaking...but that hasn't happened.

So, I am thinking to quit while I am ahead, bite the bullet, and just replace it.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Best regards to all.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:03:07 PM
Registered

Hello Wessone,

I'm interest in your issue. I have the same problem now. Did you replace your transfer pump with an electric one.

Could you share your work

Thanks in advance,

Gerardo
Old 01-11-2018, 10:56:15 PM
Registered-II

I am familiar with those old glass fuel bowls, My experience has been to be very conservative with tightening. many many people over tighten them and warp the sealing surface above the glass bowl, this renders them almost useless. if moderate tension doesnt work then replace the old cork gasket. be sure to allow new gasket time to soak up fuel so it swells up to make a good seal. Luck, Ben
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben Cowan For This Post: