Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 35EK Coolant Temp on Gauge Very Low

this thread has 25 replies and has been viewed 1215 times

Old 01-09-2018, 08:58:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,892 Times in 1,498 Posts
Default Re: Onan 35EK Coolant Temp on Gauge Very Low

On a car, you can just turn the key ON without the engine running and test the gauge. Yeah, Definitely don't get your hands or fingers close to the fan. So with the engine OFF, disconnect the wire from the sending unit and hook a jumper wire that is long enough so that when you start the set up, you can then ground the jumper wire to a reliable ground and also see the temp gauge. That should keep you safe away from the fan and it might test the high temp alarm also. I read in the Faria troubleshooting section and it said that if the wire from the sensor is grounded and the gauge pegs all the way to the HOT side when powered up then the gauge is okay.
Again, you may be able to call them, explain what you are trying to do and they might give you the OHMs range of the sender at certain temperatures. You could then test it in the pan of heated oil with your candy thermometer and a good digital ohm meter. I emphasize checking the connections on the back of the gauge and circuit board for poor connections that could simply be your problem.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2018, 03:03:16 PM
Registered-II

OK, so it turns out the connection at the sensor on the front of the engine was not great. when I was trying to test it, it moved a little, and the gauge moved up to 140 degrees. So, I just loosened and tightened the nut that holds down the cable, and it's now working again, showing 175 degrees. Once it gets warm out, I'll take it apart better and clean the connection, put some dielectric grease on it to keep it from corroding, and that should be that.

Thanks for all the pointers.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to farokh For This Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 05:53:26 PM
Subscriber

A system like the temp gauge works on changing resistance. You cleaned up connections and got it back into parameters. Good to hear.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25:35 PM
Registered-II

One other thing I must say is that the thermostat I got (Stant SuperStat) works really well at keeping the coolant temperature stable. When I was testing with the cap off, once up to temp, there was always just a little coolant flowing, instead of big swings from no coolant to a lot of coolant and back, like I've seen some thermostats do.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:02:51 PM
Subscriber

Whenever I replace a thermostat I always drill a hole to allow water flow. by doing that the entire cooling system warms up evenly. when the engine is up to temp the thermostat will be 100% open
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PopsGarage For This Post:
Old 01-11-2018, 11:24:44 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopsGarage View Post
Whenever I replace a thermostat I always drill a hole to allow water flow. by doing that the entire cooling system warms up evenly. when the engine is up to temp the thermostat will be 100% open
Me too. It also helps to burp out any trapped air as some cooling systems won't circulate if air is trapped inside. Mercedes diesels were notorious for this.