Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

What Have You Done to Your Onan Generator Today?

this thread has 4496 replies and has been viewed 299552 times

Old 09-09-2015, 01:07:39 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: What have you done to your Onan generator today?

Ran 7.5 JB (previously gasoline only) on propane for 1st time today. Ran only 15 min no load. Barbecue tank and regulator only thru 5' of 1/2" fuel hose. Took a few cranks til all the air was out and some fiddling with the main adjustment. Once it caught it stayed running. Exhaust nice and clean. Next step is piping up for a 125 gal (nominal) propane tank.
Ray
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2015, 08:15:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,620 Times in 951 Posts

Putzd around with my latest MDJF 15Kw aquisition. I did not have great expectations for it as it looked fairly bad. This is the one that I put up a pic of earlier , has a drive pully off the front of the flywheel , once I got it running it seemed to run fairly true so it may be useful yet. Has a 3CR 120/240 genend which is what I really wanted from it, VR worked for a bit then quit from what I could see. It also had a broken starter solenoid back bit so I had to swap a good starter onto it, also the starter mounting plate was broke off so I had to replace that as well. Good thing I have some J series parts around now. The governor linkage was missing so I had to wire it open. None of the controls worked so I had to jump everything out. However once I got some cooling water into it with a garden hose and jumped the starter I got good oil pressure and a lit propane torch into the intake and it eventually farted and belched and started. Once it cleared up the accumulated crud and unburned fuel it cleaned up the exhaust and ran. I had to manually adjust the speed with the governor linkage to get the speed around 1800 rpm. I think I may have let it rev a bit high which took out the VR but it was producing voltage which was my main concern. Next steps will be to get the controls functional and fix the VR and we will see maybe it will be a runner and something else will become a parts donor. I have another MDJF with a magneciter genend which I believe to be good because it has a borked injection pump, the pump plunger broke inside so I have to locate that before I can even test it. I also have several starters which I need to rebuild , they all need solenoids. Cheers Dan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mdjf 1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	234120   Click image for larger version

Name:	mdjf 2.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	234121  
The Following User Says Thank You to BigBlockChev For This Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 08:49:17 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,502 Posts

i have a stop solenoid from a djb.. not sure if its the same mounting as a mdjc
Old 09-09-2015, 09:09:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,620 Times in 951 Posts

Thanks , I might have one from a JB that I got a while ago.You are right I think they are the same. Have to root around in my buckets of parts. Cheers Dan
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29:01 PM
Registered-III

I have the gov arm as well from the same genny if u don't.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:29:38 PM
Registered-III

Had to put the 5.0CCK into service for several hours a couple of weeks ago. I had posted around 9:30 pm that it had not missed a lick since I install a new condenser and then around 10:00 pm it acted like someone turned it off. Went out and it fired right up so I went back in and it repeated the same thing about 10 minutes later. It has the dreaded 859 control panel, so I pulled the cover off and poked around and she fired back up. Left the cover off for better cooling and it ran for another hour until the power was restored.

Pull the circuit board off this weekend and you could see the solder joints that were cracked. Resoldered all of the connections for the terminal blocks and it ran for about 4 hours without shutting down.

I did check the cranking amps while I was tinkering and it pulled about 230 amps when I first started cranking and it dropped to around 75 amps when it got to full cranking speed. It is has the high compression heads on it and it has the UN style (square) generator end. I was using a 6 year old, group 24 battery. The engine was not stone cold when I tested it and it probably had 30w in it.

David C.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:39:30 PM
Kpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
Had to put the 5.0CCK into service for several hours a couple of weeks ago. I had posted around 9:30 pm that it had not missed a lick since I install a new condenser and then around 10:00 pm it acted like someone turned it off. Went out and it fired right up so I went back in and it repeated the same thing about 10 minutes later. It has the dreaded 859 control panel, so I pulled the cover off and poked around and she fired back up. Left the cover off for better cooling and it ran for another hour until the power was restored.

Pull the circuit board off this weekend and you could see the solder joints that were cracked. Resoldered all of the connections for the terminal blocks and it ran for about 4 hours without shutting down.

I did check the cranking amps while I was tinkering and it pulled about 230 amps when I first started cranking and it dropped to around 75 amps when it got to full cranking speed. It is has the high compression heads on it and it has the UN style (square) generator end. I was using a 6 year old, group 24 battery. The engine was not stone cold when I tested it and it probably had 30w in it.

David C.
Did you check those cranking amps with a clamp on meter or how did you check them ?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:04:54 PM
Registered-III

I used a clamp on DC meter. I used to do a lot of automotive alternator and starter repairs when I was in the auto parts business and I found out a DC clamp on is worth its weight in gold. It stopped a lot of arguments about the condition of components.

David C.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:03:07 PM
Registered-III

I have both a ac and a dc clamp meter.. when doing a cold start on my 10 cw it draws close to 400 amps.. warm only 150 ish.

Very nice tools to have
Old 09-10-2015, 06:16:26 AM
Kpack

I have a clamp on its very handy but haven't done much dc with it. For some reason it looks like you have to zero it out before you measure dc.