Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

this thread has 118 replies and has been viewed 4349 times

Old 12-25-2017, 09:47:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,256 Posts
Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

Well all is not lost....You can use the COAL to keep the shop fire place heater going to keep the shop warm so you can use the angle grinder and wire wheel!
"Ma" Bell.
The Following User Says Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2017, 09:57:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,940 Times in 1,137 Posts

Well, after dinner I needed more Onan therapy so off to the workshop I went. I was surprised that the fire in my wood burning stove was still going and it was still nice and warm especially after leaving the shop for several hours.

My after dinner mission was three fold.

1) I wanted clean up and get the gook out of the threads on bolts, nuts and threaded holes in the block. A tap and die set makes work easy as seen in the first picture below. The motor is starting to look new and almost ready for primmer and paint, but I got a ton more work to do before prime and paint.

2) I bolted on the governor lever spring and associated hardware (see second picture below). I set the adjustments to be exactly what they were before removing them. Once I finish the LK and if all works, only a minor adjustment would be necessary if any at all.

3) Lastly, I wanted to start rebuilding the fuel pump. My goal was to soak the parts since I think ethanol may have left some deposits in the valve body, but I forgot my soaking cups inside my house and I did not want to walk to get them since it is freezing cold outside with temps at about 26F. Time permitting on Tuesday I will continue with the fuel pump rebuild. Where I left off this evening can be seen in the third picture below.

That is all for today!

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	298999   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	299000   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	285.7 KB
ID:	299001  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 09:00:20 PM
Subscriber

Wednesday Update:

Today, I adjusted the tappet clearances. installed the valve cover and started cleaning the fuel pump.

Before adjusting the tappets I measure the clearances of the exhaust and intact valves. They were out of specification (most likely never adjusted since 1959). Clearance specifications for both intake and exhaust tappets are .015" min to .017" maximum. They measured .012" for the exhaust and .013" for the intake as seen in the first picture below. I set both to .016" as seen in the second picture below. The valve cover was bolted back in place with a new gasket. That's done.

Next, I started cleaning the broken fuel pump. The fuel pump was nasty as seen in the third picture below. It required complete disassembly and cleaning. It is ready for rebuilding as seen in the fourth picture below. Time permitting on Thursday I will reassemble the fuel pump using replacement parts including gaskets from a rebuild kit I purchased from onanparts.com.

That is all for tonight.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	299107   Click image for larger version

Views:	74
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	299108   Click image for larger version

Views:	76
Size:	204.4 KB
ID:	299109   Click image for larger version

Views:	73
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	299110  

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-27-2017, 09:51:13 PM
Subscriber

Johnny, Engine looks spotless inside the valve spring galley! That's good as someone changed the oil often and/or it is low hour set. The clearances you measured BEFORE adjusting also leads me to think this generator wasn't a high hour set nor overheated ever.
A suggestion on the fuel pump rebuild. Find either a machined flat plate of steel or a good flat piece of tempered glass. Get a sheet of 400 wet or dry abrasive paper and set it on the flat plate. Spray the paper with water and put the flat surface of the fuel pump half, one at a time, and do figure 8's with light pressure on the fuel pump half. Pull it away, wipe it off and check how the surface looks from the abrasive marks left behind. They don't have to be perfectly flat because you want to avoid removing too much material and have it warp easier. I also do this to the flange plate where the pump meets the engine spacer. There should be orings on the fuel pump arm pivot shaft at each end, at least some do. If yours does not have the orings then I have sealed the shaft with a suitable sealer and then stake around the shaft so it won't spin in the aluminum pump housing wearing it out oblong.
When reassembling the pump, put a dab of grease where the rod on the diaphragm hooks to the pump arm. Be careful to not over tighten the 4 little screws around the diaphragm so it doesn't warp the halves.
You probably now all this but I hope you don't mind my $0.02 worth.
I'm starting back to work on my factory enclosed 2.5LK and it is a neat "Hunk of IRON"!
Anxious to see it after the "Johnny C" Touch
"Ma" Bell.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:34:54 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Johnny, Engine looks spotless inside the valve spring galley! That's good as someone changed the oil often and/or it is low hour set. The clearances you measured BEFORE adjusting also leads me to think this generator wasn't a high hour set nor overheated ever.
A suggestion on the fuel pump rebuild. Find either a machined flat plate of steel or a good flat piece of tempered glass. Get a sheet of 400 wet or dry abrasive paper and set it on the flat plate. Spray the paper with water and put the flat surface of the fuel pump half, one at a time, and do figure 8's with light pressure on the fuel pump half. Pull it away, wipe it off and check how the surface looks from the abrasive marks left behind. They don't have to be perfectly flat because you want to avoid removing too much material and have it warp easier. I also do this to the flange plate where the pump meets the engine spacer. There should be orings on the fuel pump arm pivot shaft at each end, at least some do. If yours does not have the orings then I have sealed the shaft with a suitable sealer and then stake around the shaft so it won't spin in the aluminum pump housing wearing it out oblong.
When reassembling the pump, put a dab of grease where the rod on the diaphragm hooks to the pump arm. Be careful to not over tighten the 4 little screws around the diaphragm so it doesn't warp the halves.
You probably now all this but I hope you don't mind my $0.02 worth.
I'm starting back to work on my factory enclosed 2.5LK and it is a neat "Hunk of IRON"!
Anxious to see it after the "Johnny C" Touch
Thanks for the tips. I did not see the shaft O-rings that you mentioned on the pump's pivot arm shaft and they are not in the parts diagram as far as I can remember, but I will check again tomorrow. All manual is in my workshop as well as the pump.

As for the LK, I am not so sure if it is a low hour genset. The cylinders are good with no ridge at the top, compression is perfect, no excessive build up of carbon anywhere, and the valves have absolutely no deposits on their backsides, the spark plug showed it was running with a good mixture (not rich and not lean), but the factory hone marks on the cylinder wall is not visible and the oil that I drained was as black as black can get. The brushes have plenty of life, but I am not sure if they were replaced by a previous owner at the time it was repainted which could have been years ago. I dn't know the history on this set.

Once this LK is completed, it will have high quality full synthetic oil from here on.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 12-27-2017, 11:35:18 PM
Subscriber

I may be mistaken then on the o-rings on the pump arm shaft. I have seen them before on pump shafts and if a guy had a lathe and cutter bit, you could certainly put some in.
I have a high compression head coming for mine. Found one on ebay for $15.00 plus shipping.
"Ma" Bell.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:49:55 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
I may be mistaken then on the o-rings on the pump arm shaft. I have seen them before on pump shafts and if a guy had a lathe and cutter bit, you could certainly put some in.
I have a high compression head coming for mine. Found one on ebay for $15.00 plus shipping.
Motorhead, there are no O-rings on the pump arm shaft. I checked closely and also have the parts break down diagram for the pump. Maybe you seen O-rings on a different model pump?

I am looking for a high compression CCK left side head since I plan to adapt this LK to run tri-fuel just as I did with my 6.5NH and 4.0 BFA. I seen high compression CCK heads on ebay 1 or 2 weeks ago, but see none that are compatible now.

Thursday Evening Update:
This evening I completed the rebuild and I'm 99% confident it will work and 1% it won't. I will bench test it this weekend after I dig up some nipples to hook up a hoses and run gasoline through it. I will say that it does pump air from the inlet to outlet fairly strongly and will not allow backflow.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	63
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	299229  
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22:05 PM
Subscriber

Friday Evening Update:

Due to outside temperatures in the mid teens this evening, I did not spend much time in my little workshop after work although it was well heated. I just wanted to do 30 minutes of work then retire back in my house to relax. Anyway I did accomplish a little something tonight and that was cleaning up the fuel filter housing. All went well, but I need to replace the rubber o-ring for the glass fuel bowl, the filter screen, and an o-ring for the fuel shut off valve. All three are seen in the 4th picture below. If I can't find the OEM parts I can make them.

The first picture below shows the fuel filter before starting the clean up. You will be able to clearly see the OEM darker green paint and the after market lighter green paint. All must come off.

The second picture below shows the fuel filter housing completely cleaned. The brass fuel shutoff valve was removed and thoroughly cleaned. It was so dirty, it would not turn by hand. Now it turns silky smooth. I just need a small o-ring which I have in the o-ring kit. Also seen in this picture is the copper line that runs from the fuel pump to the carburetor. Looks new now.

The third picture below shows the fuel pump which was cleaned up last night and the fuel filter coupled together. Maybe tomorrow I will install the pump and filter on the motor.

That is all for tonight.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	64
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	299262   Click image for larger version

Views:	61
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	299263   Click image for larger version

Views:	61
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	299264   Click image for larger version

Views:	59
Size:	432.1 KB
ID:	299265  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-29-2017 at 09:26:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-31-2017, 03:54:14 PM
Subscriber

Sunday Update:

Due to the extreme cold (low of 5F to 15F high), I did not spend too much time in the workshop because I did not want to wait 30 minutes to heat it up. Instead, I spent 10 minutes and installed the fuel filter housing on the fuel pump after buying the part that I showed cracked in my last update. I still need to replace the rubber fuel bowl gasket on the filter housing. Other than that, the first picture shows where I am at.

What's next? Either a complete carburetor rebuild (see second picture) and / or ripping apart the bell end of the LK (see third picture). Before I rip anything apart I will take hundreds (yes, hundreds) of pictures from different view points. I will examine every picture on my PC to show me what needs attention, how the parts go together and many other reasons. It is amazing seeing the detail in high resolution pictures on the PC that the human eye missed when taking the pictures.

Happy New Year 2018
JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	65
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	299453   Click image for larger version

Views:	64
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	299454   Click image for larger version

Views:	67
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	299455  
Old 01-01-2018, 06:00:07 PM
Subscriber

New Years day update:

It was 4F this morning, but I started work at about mid-day with temps about 10F. The wood burning stove in the work shop made it comfortable to play.

Today, I started on the carburetor. Today's objective was to remove the old paint (OEM and aftermarket paint) from the exterior surfaces to clean it up. Mission accomplished. I still need to buy an overhaul kit to replace all the gaskets as well as the float needle and seat.

Picture time! I posted several picture below showing what I started with and what I ended up doing today.

First picture: This picture shows the carburetor untouched as it is still mounted to the genset

Second picture: This picture shows one of the parts from the carburetor after removing it from my dip tank. As you can clearly see, the el-cheapo after market paint wrinkles up and falls off with no effort and only after a 5 minute tank dip.

Third picture shows the entire carburetor stripped of all paint. The choke shaft and linkage can be seen to the left of the carburetor's body. I still need to do more cleaning of the carburetor's interior, but I will start that phase after I get a rebuild kit with new gaskets, float needle and seat.

Fourth picture shows a different view of the carburetor. It is a Carter N model. After looking at this picture I may need to run a tap into the threaded holes to clean out paint that I could not reach.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0001.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	299522   Click image for larger version

Name:	0002.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	299523   Click image for larger version

Views:	65
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	299524   Click image for larger version

Views:	62
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	299525  

Old 01-03-2018, 10:08:55 PM
Subscriber

Wednesday Update:

No updates to report. I spent a few minutes on my 105AK (updates are posted in different thread) then I got a call from the Police at around 5-ish PM. A drug addict that escaped from rehab/mental hospital 2 properties to the rear of mine ended up in the supermarket directly to the rear of my property and stole a shopper's pocketbook and her car. As he ran out of the supermarket she ran after him. He was able to get her keys from her pocketbook and using the remote he located her Lexus and started it to get away. She was able to open the car door as the drug addict was pulling out of the parking space and as a result of hanging onto the car she was almost dragged in the parking lot. He got away and she was alright. The lady appeared to look like 60-65 years old. ALL was caught on one of my security cameras that is mounted on a high pole and rotates 360 degrees.

As all this unfolded I was in my garage which is only 150 feet away while working on my Onan 105Ak. While working on the Onan 105AK what looked like a swat team appeared in my driveway AND my cell phone rings. The caller ID shows the Town's name and I knew either I was going to be arrested for something and was waiting for a tear gas bomb to be fired at my garage with me in the garage or something else and big happened in my hood. Anyway, the police know all about my cameras and they run to me first immediately as soon as something happens in my hood. I provided the police a full video extracted from my security server of all the action to show proof and are currently looking for the drug addict and the stolen car.

As always, I have some pictures.

First picture shows the drug addict as he leaves the supermarket. If I was able to post the video, you would clearly see the pocketbook that he is hiding in this frame as well as him going through it looking for keys as he walked away.

Second picture shows 3 cop cars at the entrance of my driveway. The entrance to the supermarket is only several feet out of view of the camera. There were 3 other cop cars in my driveway near my garage.

Third picture shows only 2 of the 3 cars near my garage. Many more were at the seen of the crime which was only 150 feet to the left of this camera picture.

Fourth picture show a cop standing guard at my front door. Why? who really knows....

That's all for today's excitement.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1-3-2018 8-18-22 PM.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	299702   Click image for larger version

Views:	84
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	299703   Click image for larger version

Views:	83
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	299704   Click image for larger version

Views:	83
Size:	128.0 KB
ID:	299705  

Old 01-03-2018, 10:56:55 PM
Subscriber

The COPS probably REALLY got a call about a LOUD Onan in the neighborhood!
"Ma" Bell.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:11:31 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
The COPS probably REALLY got a call about a LOUD Onan in the neighborhood!
Actually that happened 3 times over the past 17 years with my high performance cars doing burn outs in the driveway and running open headers in my former 671 blower motor car that could wake the dead and if close enough it would shake you like an earthquake. 1 of the 3 times I got out onto the road after creating lots of smoke and noise in the driveway. As I was coming back to the house after going around the block I seen a cop car parked in front of my house, so I went by slow and with minimum noise to escape while the cops were in the rear by my garages. I hid at my friends house while watching them on my cell linked to all my security cameras. When the cops gave up and left, I went back home without incident. That was about 5 years ago.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 12:18:00 AM
Subscriber

You're a fugitive from Justice Johnny!
"Ma" Bell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Motorhead For This Post:
Old 01-04-2018, 12:54:24 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,361 Times in 1,379 Posts

Beginning to understand why you have all those security cams. Did your neighbor get his trailer back?
Old 01-04-2018, 06:51:06 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Beginning to understand why you have all those security cams. Did your neighbor get his trailer back?
I asked the detective that question and he told me no.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 01-04-2018, 08:45:51 AM
Subscriber

Never a dull moment in your neighborhood, My brother lived on Spruce street for 30 years he never had that much excitement he moved to Pa about 15 years ago

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to PopsGarage For This Post:
Old 01-09-2018, 11:11:12 PM
Subscriber

After something like 14 days of sub-freezing temperatures as low as -2F, we finally got into the 40F range which is like a heat wave. Back to working on the LK

QUESTION
I am planning a cart to allow easy moving of the LK once it is finished. Originally, I built a cart platform using 3/8 inch steel plate and about 3/4 size of a full size pallet (see last picture below). Afterward I realized it weighed over 100 lbs and way too heavy for my purposes, so back to the drawing board.

What I want to do is build a light weight cart using the OEM Onan carrying frame, but I would like to know how the LK should be mounted to the carrying frame. As seen in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pictures, I think the LK was mounted wrong on the carrying frame. I think the LK should be rotated 90 degrees on the carrying frame from what you see in the pictures. The LK's bell end and flywheel cover should be against the carrying frame's handles. Is that correct? Can anyone verify?

The way that the LK is currently mounted makes it unstable because the bell end of the generator hangs out well past the base of the carrying frame while the motor is basically on the center of the frame's base. The weight of the generator bell end causes it to tip.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	49
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	300147   Click image for larger version

Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	300148   Click image for larger version

Views:	50
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	300149   Click image for larger version

Views:	55
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	300150  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-09-2018 at 11:40:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:17:07 AM
Registered-II

Don't know for sure but it looks like you are right. From the little I know about Onans, I have not seen that much of a gap in frames. If it was 90 degrees it looks like it would fill the frame nicely.

Also I have never seen an Onan hang off a mount. All the ones I have seen the generator is in the mount. About the only thing hanging over the edge is the muffler.
The Following User Says Thank You to Handyhiker1 For This Post:
Old 01-10-2018, 06:42:04 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyhiker1 View Post
Don't know for sure but it looks like you are right. From the little I know about Onans, I have not seen that much of a gap in frames. If it was 90 degrees it looks like it would fill the frame nicely.

Also I have never seen an Onan hang off a mount. All the ones I have seen the generator is in the mount. About the only thing hanging over the edge is the muffler.
That's what I seen too. The frame's carrying handle bars are adjustable and the mount holes for the genset is about 10 inches square. I'll provide more pictures and the modification I plan to do late Wednesday evening.

Below is how I want to mount the LK in the frame.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180110_063315.jpg
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	300161  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 01-10-2018 at 08:03:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post: