Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

this thread has 701 replies and has been viewed 25160 times

Old 12-12-2017, 07:30:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by reid070 View Post
Johnnyc , are both points connected to the ignition? As far as I know “flicker points” are connected into the Ac output on the generator and have no connection to the ignition. That is how my 1.0 aj is set up. 1 set of points under the flywheel for ignition and 1 set of points on the side of the block that are the flicker points. I don’t know how lk’s are usually set up (ie had points in 2 separate places) but I wonder if your dual point setup was a way to simplify the points arrangement on this model? Those little 1 cylinder 1800rpm units sure are nice to listen to!
Steve
I haven't taken apart the LK yet to see how the points are connected. If I have spare time on Wednesday after work I may start tearing it down and will post what I find.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 07:42:20 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnucklehead View Post
I think the spec A and B LKs have the fat dual-points box, with one set being flicker and one for ignition.. Spec C and D LKs still have fat box, but only one set is used for ignition..

Those two wires that leave your points box - if they both go to a switch to select which set is connected to the spark coil, then its dual ignition points.. If one wire goes to the battery-spark coil (under the blower housing) and one wire to a flicker resistor - then it's a normal spec A/B LK setup.

Think "experimental" for testing.. most Onan fuel tanks I've seen on portables were square-ish... Original or not, I would get rid of that one - too small and definitely not a good location, at least for me.. The only LK I have with a fuel tank is a portable on a dolly, no fuel pump, not electric start. Photos of a spec B standby unit, and a spec E portable, as-found. Yours is a strange hybrid.
I looked closely at the fuel tank and noticed paint to match the original Onan color under the cheap paint job (see first picture below), but it looks as if someone painted the tank dark blue over the OEM color then the light green over the blue. The tank's mounting bracket and hardware seems to fit the width of the top of the control box perfectly as seen in the second picture.

Without doubt Onan did make cylinder type tanks because I have an identical tank on an Onan 105AK that came from a fire truck as seen in the third picture and has its OEM Onan green paint on the tank and genset. The forth picture shows the mounting bracket for the cylindrical tank which seems very unique for the Onan 105AK.

Well, if time permits I will start tearing down the LK on Wednesday after work and maybe I'll have an answer for the duel point system. As of now, I did not do squat to the LK other than bypass the faulty fuel pump and gave it a bath. It runs like a charm, but like all my other gensets I'll tear it apart.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	298208   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	298209   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	298210   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	298211  

Old 12-13-2017, 12:17:46 PM
Subscriber

It's a tough call to keep original or improve it.. I'm confused as to why they didn't offset the tank on the LK to avoid fuel fill-up spillage on the control box

Add: And I wonder how it ended up in New Jersey !

Last edited by gnucklehead; 12-13-2017 at 12:43:00 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:35:08 PM
Subscriber

I can answer how it got to New Jersey. I hauled it to New Jersey from Pennsylvania. I don't know if it started its life in Pennsylvania. As for the gas tank, I'm not sure if it added on sometime during its life or came from the factory.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 12-13-2017, 09:08:57 PM
Subscriber

Wednesday Status:

I had a great therapy session tonight ripping apart the 2LK. Lots of pictures to show, but I can only post 4 pictures per posting so this evening there will be several postings with lots of pictures and explanations.

To start with, there was discussion about the gas tank. I believe that the tank is made by Onan, but I am almost 99.99% sure it did not come out of the factory with the tank mounted on the control box cover. After removing the cover I found metal fatigue cracks in the cover around 2 of the tank's mounting bracket bolts. The cracks go all the way through the sheet metal. I show the underside of the control box cover and point out the metal fatigue cracks too. The tank will be eliminated and when I refurbish the cover I will weld the cracks and grind the welds to blend into the sheet metal.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	72
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	298271   Click image for larger version

Views:	65
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	298272   Click image for larger version

Views:	62
Size:	121.6 KB
ID:	298273  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-13-2017 at 10:07:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:34:28 PM
Subscriber

..... continuation from my last posting.

Tonight was the first time I closely examined the inside of the control box. I know many folks here say don't fix it if it runs, but I found a potentially big problem inside the control box that could have caused a fire, a battery explosion, or a huge firework display at minimum. Check out the first picture below. In the first picture I point out a cut wire, 2 wires that were replaced in the past or a possible wiring modification (I will have to check the schematics). In addition, look at the battery cable that I labeled DANGER. It shows bare copper wire that extends through the sheet metal rubber grommet. That grommet is old and dried up and is starting to crack. Guess what will happen if the genset is running and the grommet failed due to vibration and the cable bare wire rubbing on it . This has to be corrected.

The second picture shows the dual points. I was asked to trace the wires. I did, but forgot where they went. I will need to review the approx. 500 pictures that I snapped tonight to figure it out (to be continued).

I removed the bell end tin to expose the brushes and slip rings. All seems to look good but I have a QUESTION - Judging by the brush in its holder as seen in the picture would you think there is plenty of life left? These brushes and holders are different than the newer NH, CCK, BFA genset types that I know how to measure and determine how much life is left on a brush.

The forth picture shows on example of bent sheet metal on one of the tins. All of the tins have minor dents that can easily be fixed. I just wanted to show one example here.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	124
Size:	281.5 KB
ID:	298274   Click image for larger version

Views:	114
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	298275   Click image for larger version

Views:	104
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	298276   Click image for larger version

Views:	103
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	298277  

Old 12-13-2017, 09:48:52 PM
Subscriber

... continuation of pictures of the teardown.

So, I stopped at the point you see in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th pictures below. I filled a box with parts as seen in the first picture. I will be going further on the teardown soon. I want to remove the head and the oil base

FYI - Mr. Onanparts.com, I hope you have gaskets for the 2LK motor in stock. I am not sure if the 2.5LK motor uses different head gaskets and oil base gaskets. I will have to look at my parts manual as this is the first day I really tore into this genset.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention - After I finished tearing apart the 2LK I though I'd have a little fun and try to fire up my 2.5AJ. I had it firing on starting fluid last week, but it would not run being fed directly with gasoline through the mechanical fuel pump. I spent 5 minutes and dropped the carburetor's float bowl, very quickly sprayed it down internally with carburetor cleaner, ensured that the float needle was operating properly, slapped it together, gravity fed the carburetor bypassing the mechanical fuel pump and the results were ......... (check out the video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKY5...ature=youtu.be

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	85
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	298278   Click image for larger version

Views:	82
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	298279   Click image for larger version

Views:	87
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	298280   Click image for larger version

Views:	81
Size:	307.1 KB
ID:	298281  

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-14-2017, 12:20:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,972 Times in 1,536 Posts

Johnny, The brush has Y E A R S left on it. I saw somewhere on one of the older Onan repair books that when the wear hits the "ONAN" stamping on the brush that that is the max wear limit. How about welding some 1" to 1.5" wide by 3/32" to 1/8" thick strap steel on the underside of the plate where the tank bracket holes have cracked the sheet metal.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:00:00 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Johnny, The brush has Y E A R S left on it. I saw somewhere on one of the older Onan repair books that when the wear hits the "ONAN" stamping on the brush that that is the max wear limit. How about welding some 1" to 1.5" wide by 3/32" to 1/8" thick strap steel on the underside of the plate where the tank bracket holes have cracked the sheet metal.
Thanks for the info on the brushes. I thought they did not look too worn. I will look further into it later. As for the control box cover, I am eliminating the tank. The cracks can easily be welded. As for the bolt holes (4) where the bracket was mounted, I will weld a plate on the underside of the cover and fill the holes before painting. The metal cover is a little bent at the edges and will need some work too, but that is unrelated to the tank mounts.

It should be a fun indoor winter project. BTW: currently 22F @11pm in North Jersey

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Old 12-15-2017, 09:51:06 PM
Subscriber

Friday Status Update:

Well, I really wanted to continue working on the LK after work today, but temps are in the very low 20's and we had an inch of snow. The first picture below shows a light snow covering over the entire parking area at my house.

My intent was to give the LK another bath now that I removed all the tins, carburetor, fuel pump and other things as you seen in my last post. I bought some brushes and other crap at the dollar store today as seen in the second picture below, but with temps in the low 20's the water would freeze very quickly and would not be too effective. We may get temps above freezing over the weekend and hopefully I can give the LK it's last bath before I rip off its head and oil base.

So, since it is very cold and snowy outside I decided to stay indoors and start looking through the parts catalog and select all the gaskets needed as seen in the third picture below. Once I go through the parts catalog several times and mark what I need, I will place an order with onanparts.com.

Since it is so nice and cozy indoors and while drinking a pot of coffee, I decided to take a break from browsing the parts catalog and kicked back for a few minutes as seen in the fourth picture below (the feet in that picture don't smell. I took a bath sometime last week).

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	67
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	298411   Click image for larger version

Views:	72
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	298412   Click image for larger version

Views:	63
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	298413   Click image for larger version

Views:	70
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	298414  

Last edited by JohnnyC; 12-15-2017 at 10:08:17 PM.