Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

this thread has 701 replies and has been viewed 25178 times

Old 12-16-2017, 09:10:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,579 Posts
Default Re: Onan 2LK (experimental model) Has Come to Life!

Saturday Evening Update:

I did not have much time to spend on the LK. Time was spent Christmas shopping which I hate doing. However I did dedicate 30 minutes this evening and removed the flywheel to gain access to the timing cover. I plan to replace the timing cover seal as well as the governor seal. The first picture below shows the puller tool and the flywheel. You can see the OEM color peeking through on the flywheel fins. The second picture below shows a good leak-free timing cover seal and some oily dirty on the cover and block. Although the seal is not leaking, it is old and can fail upon usage. Now is the time to replace it. The third picture below shows the governor shaft, arm and seal. Looks to be leak-free, but I will replace the seal to ensure many more years of leak-free usage. The fourth picture below shows the bell end shaft bearing. It is an oldie and I cannot pick off the front seal cover. All my newer J series and RV gensets I was able to remove the bearing seal, clean out all the old bearing grease and re-grease the bearing for many more years of usage. If th ebearing showed rust or wear I would press off the old bearing and install a new bearing. The Nachi bearing cost about $10 each. Nachi was OEM for all my RV and J series gensets.

Well, the LK is ready for it's second bath which I plan to do mid next week. It is too cold now with temps in the 20's

That's all folks,
JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	298470   Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	298471   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	248.7 KB
ID:	298472   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	327.9 KB
ID:	298473  

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2017, 01:59:59 AM
Subscriber

Sunday Update: 12:52 am.

Tired all day Saturday, went to sleep early, woke up around mid-night and can't get back to sleep...... So, what did JohnnyC do? Went online and placed an order for gaskets with onanparts.com. The only parts that were not stocked were carburetor parts and rebuild kit. Other than that, he has what I need to move forward. A list can be seen below. Just an FYI you will notice that the description of the gaskets do not list them for LK models other than the oil base gasket. It appears most of the gaskets for the LK are shared with many of the CCK and other RV gensets.

I hope I caught mr. onanparts.com in time as he will be on vacation from December 21 to just after New Year.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	41
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	298491  
Old 12-17-2017, 03:14:09 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,987 Times in 1,540 Posts

Nice when you can go to just one vendor and get everything you need without searching everywhere else for one part here and another part there.
Did you find the silver green paint formula? I'm looking for some or the 1958, 5CCK Ma Bell unit.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:28:43 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,120 Times in 481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyC View Post
Sunday Update: 12:52 am.

I hope I caught mr. onanparts.com in time as he will be on vacation from December 21 to just after New Year.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Maybe. Could be. It's possible.......
The Following User Says Thank You to OnanParts For This Post:
Old 12-17-2017, 09:23:57 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
Nice when you can go to just one vendor and get everything you need without searching everywhere else for one part here and another part there.
Did you find the silver green paint formula? I'm looking for some or the 1958, 5CCK Ma Bell unit.
No, not yet. That is an easy task and the automotive paint retailer guy is only less than 2 miles away. The reason for waiting is I wanted to do a full assessment on my LK. If there were any show stoppers and the paint was already mixed and bought, it would have been wasted since this shade of Onan green is different than the paint on all my 1980's-1990's Onans. When I get is matched and mixed I will document all the information and post it on this thread.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-18-2017, 09:58:15 PM
Subscriber

Monday Update:

This evening I gave the body of the LK a bath to get rid of residual oil, grease and grim that was missed when I gave it a bath will all its tins, carburetor and fuel pump installed. I like to work clean instead of scraping off globs of crap when trying to work on the genset. Below are some before and after pictures.

My next step is to remove the oil base and see how much crap settled to the bottom over the last 58 years and to do a visual check inside the motor. Also I will rip off its head too. My objective is to find a left side high compression CCK head because ultimately I want to convert this LK to tri-fuel and it will need all the help it can get when running on natural gas.

That is all for tonight.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	95
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	298595   Click image for larger version

Views:	90
Size:	136.7 KB
ID:	298596   Click image for larger version

Views:	88
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	298597  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 06:53:38 PM
Subscriber

Friday Update:

I needed Onan therapy big-time today especially after Christmas shopping yesterday. After work I immediately moved my LK from the garage and placed it on my work bench in my workshop where I can work on it and keep warm. I was so desperate for Onan therapy that I had to physically dead lift the LK from the floor to the table top and I believe a fully dressed LK weighs about 235 lbs. Since the flywheel and tins were already removed, it may weigh slightly over 200 lbs. Problem is I got a very bad lower back.

Anyway, once the LK was on the workbench I immediately remove the oil base from the motor. I expected heavy sledge, maybe metal shavings and hard chunks at the bottom of the oil base, but was surprised that all appeared to be normal. In the first picture below and on the left I show what it looked like after immediately removing the oil base. No goop or anything abnormal, just the residual that did not drain out. On the right hand side, I show what it looked like after spraying brakleen to remove the residual oil. I will totally strip the paint and do a good clean up of the oil base at a later date.

In the second picture below, I show what it looked like peeking into the guts of the motor. I did not clean nothing, Looks good! The connecting rod is the only aluminum part. All other parts are iron.

I removed the head to see what I would find. Well, the head is a low compression head as expect and seen in the third picture below on the left side. There is no abnormal accumulations of crap. I never removed the spark plug, but as seen in the picture (look closely) it is perfect. No indication of burning oil, lean or too rich. the plug tip is a perfect color. On the right side, I show a snapshot of the piston top and valves. Again, nothing abnormal is seen here. I quickly cleaned the piston top and it is a standard size piston. The cylinder bored had no ridge at the top of the bore after cleaning away the deposits. Unfortunately the hone marks are not visible, but the cylinder walls are fine and a previous compression test show great compression (in the middle of the chart).

The fourth picture below shows my LK as it looks now.

That's it for now. I have not been inside my house since the time I got home and I'm starving. Today's Onan therapy is a success and I feel better now.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Size:	247.8 KB
ID:	298802   Click image for larger version

Views:	95
Size:	170.5 KB
ID:	298803   Click image for larger version

Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	298804   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	298805  

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyC For This Post:
Old 12-22-2017, 08:28:40 PM
Subscriber

More on Friday Update:

After going into the house from my workshop there was a box sent to me from Santa OnanParts.com. My parts arrived and PERFECT timing!!! What parts did I get? See the picture below, but basically it is all the common gaskets and a fuel pump rebuild kit for my LK. For the breakdown I show a list in one of my previous postings. I had explicit instructions from TJ at Onanparts.com not to touch the candy. It goes to the Boss, but most likely it will end up in the tummies of her grandkids this weekend. I'm sure they will be bouncing off the walls on a sugar high ... Also, TJ - Thanks for the little envelope too!

TJ - thanks , Merry Christmas and enjoy your vacation!!

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	84
Size:	144.6 KB
ID:	298808  
Old 12-23-2017, 12:49:44 AM
Subscriber

Update to my Update for Friday's Update:

I could not get enough Onan therapy so after dinner I went back to my little workshop and continued work on the LK now that I can move forward with new gaskets.

I started to strip off the original and el-cheapo after market paint from the main body of the generator. Tins will be done much later. In the picture below, it looks as if most of the paint has been removed. Believe me, there is a lot more to go before the metal is prepped properly for primer and paint. I have to remove every spec of the el-cheapo paint otherwise it may lift after I spray automotive paint. I must say that the person that did the after market paint job gets an "A" for coverage. Every nook and cranny was hit with the paint for excellent coverage, but since it was cheap and I assume rattle can spray paint it did not hold up well.

Below is a picture where I stopped at 11:15 pm this evening. Tomorrow is another day and lots more paint needs to be removed.

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	94
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	298823  
Old 12-23-2017, 03:04:20 PM
Subscriber

Today I spent some time to remove paint from the other side of the LK which is the more difficult side due to all the nooks and crannies. I got to remove all the cheap rattle can spray paint before spraying real paint on the LK otherwise the new paint most likely will lift. I have maybe another 3 hours of work to do. It is a time consuming task, but since I got the LK on my work table in my workshop I don't mind spending the time since I got heat and tunes. Working in the garage floor where the LK was previously took it's toll and was cold.

Got to go do some Christmas chores and maybe if time permits I will be back in the workshop after 8 pm tonight until ??????

JohnnyC
New Jersey
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	71
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	298852