Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Genset 100kw ENBA NG to Propane Questions

this thread has 65 replies and has been viewed 2792 times

Old 12-12-2017, 05:16:51 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,044 Times in 2,425 Posts
Default Re: Genset 100kw ENBA NG to propane questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Thompson View Post
Looking at the rating tag, it is rated at 300 amps 120/240 3 phase. It is rated 347 amps 120/240 single phase (last box, lower right of tag). It looks like a little more than 66 KW in single phase. What am I misinterpreting here?
Onan often derates the single phase kW capability of their 3 phase sets considerably more than the laws of physics dictate. I don't know why - but I do know that a generator end that is capable of 240v/347A driven by a turbocharged 460 Ford will typically carry considerably more than 66kW of load at unity power factor.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2017, 05:30:08 PM
Registered

Default Re: Genset 100kw ENBA NG to Propane Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh View Post
propane is a way richer fuel than NG

and YES you must adjust for it.

a generator that is 17.5 KW on gasoline
is 16 on propane 15 on NG

the different BTU density is substantial about 7% greater in your case

I read through the ENBA manual and its recommendations for adjusting mix is under full load.

Ok, guys here is a BS question, I know I shouldnt ask but Im gonna:

-I have no prob in installing an O2 bung/sensor in the exhaust however this will be a little ways down the road; there is no real way I can do a 'sniffer' O2 setup as the muffler has no pipe distance and back pulses will contaminate the reading. When I install a bung it will be within 8" of the turbine outlet and pre muffler.
We can say the generator will be running fat on propane with the NG setup; this I get. IN THE MEANTIME is there a 'ball park' adjustment I can do to the mix to get it running 'safer'? (*take note that I do not know if unscrewing the jet at the base of the mixer translates into leaner or richer). Is it possible to say "loosen the jam, and unscrew (or screw in) the mix adjustment a full turn (or whatever) and re-secure the jam. I understand all these engines are different (and how identical engines can have different settings between them just because of no real explainable reason). I am not looking for perfection, only to get it to a place where there isnt a concern that I will burn a valve.

Thanks!

~JH

Also, I am including a garage shot of a couple old trucks of mine for no reason:

---------- Post added at 04:30:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27:13 PM ----------

(*pic didnt show in previous post)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonny Hotnuts For This Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 06:09:22 PM
Registered

I have a 20 kw with a 4 cylandar ford.
I got it with the same by setup. The Marlow was pointed up. I turned it over and ran lp.
You have twice the consumption as I do.
Off a 500 gal tank I am using a first stage reg to reduce to 10lb. Then through a second stage reg to reduce to a 9-13 water column. It ran rich so I adjusted the air fuel mixture to lean it out and it runs great..
Old 12-12-2017, 06:31:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,242 Times in 1,300 Posts
Default Re: Genset 100kw ENBA NG to propane questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Thompson View Post
Looking at the rating tag, it is rated at 300 amps 120/240 3 phase. It is rated 347 amps 120/240 single phase (last box, lower right of tag). It looks like a little more than 66 KW in single phase. What am I misinterpreting here?
The power factor. It's rated at 0.8 PF (even in single phase) so that works out to 347A at 240V, which is 83 kVA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McIntyre For This Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:03:20 PM
Registered

I took a closer look at the mixer. It appears the only adjustable element is this screw on the backside of the mixer. Can someone confirm if this is in fact the mix control.

This on the front side does not appear to be adjustable.

OT III

Pic of the ATS

Also....

I know its going to use a lot of gas, I am not worried about it in the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWood View Post

Make sure the plugs are set at 0.035", and timing is at 32 BTDC @ 1800 rpms.
Thoughts on going a number colder on the plugs?

~JH
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08:40 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,412 Times in 761 Posts

In your second picture in post 35 above, that one that you thought might not be adjustable, is in fact, the power valve. See the embossed "R" next to it? There is a corresponding "L" on the other side. This is a less than 1/2-turn adjusting valve. It don't take much movement to make a change when at full load.

Posting a photo of the style of exhaust adapter I use withe LM2 meter's wideband O2 sensor; it gets in the pipe about 5-6 inches, and at full load, you are not going to have the diluted reading you think you might.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LM2_exhaust adapter.png
Views:	29
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	298212  
The Following User Says Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 08:18:43 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,412 Times in 761 Posts

As for the spark plugs, I'd recommend just staying with the original heat range. I've seen many stand-by gassers with 30 year old plugs in them still purr like a kitten. Pull the plugs for inspection. Are the fairly clean/lightly tanned, or a dull gray? Are the back cylinders partially oil-carbon fouled? If so, may need new valve seals. Treat it to a new set of plugs if they're still original, then recheck them after about 20 hours or so, to see how they look. Should still be pretty white at that point yet.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:22:36 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,808 Times in 4,220 Posts

On chevys with fouled plugs in rear we just put couple numbers hotter plug in cylinders that had fouled plugs., tends to burn it off. Never had problems, took one car out to ~ 280k before frame got rusty, 5.0L V8 engine was tired but still good.

Last edited by len k; 12-13-2017 at 08:47:51 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:44:14 AM
Subscriber

Love the trucks! Yours looks a like '69-71 c-10... attached is my '68 910 which is now my fathers summer ride. It was my daily until it was rear ended by a drunk and needed a box and frame The '67 biscayne is now my summer car. It sat since '81 when the original owner stopped driving it at about 47,000 miles. He logged every fill up, last was 119th tank of gas is '81 then it sat till this spring when I finally plated it again. It's first trip was 1200 miles to my new place. Made it with no issues
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0109.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	298223  
Old 12-13-2017, 09:57:43 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Hotnuts View Post

I read through the ENBA manual and its recommendations for adjusting mix is under full load.

Ok, guys here is a BS question, I know I shouldnt ask but Im gonna:

-I have no prob in installing an O2 bung/sensor in the exhaust however this will be a little ways down the road; there is no real way I can do a 'sniffer' O2 setup as the muffler has no pipe distance and back pulses will contaminate the reading. When I install a bung it will be within 8" of the turbine outlet and pre muffler.
We can say the generator will be running fat on propane with the NG setup; this I get. IN THE MEANTIME is there a 'ball park' adjustment I can do to the mix to get it running 'safer'? (*take note that I do not know if unscrewing the jet at the base of the mixer translates into leaner or richer). Is it possible to say "loosen the jam, and unscrew (or screw in) the mix adjustment a full turn (or whatever) and re-secure the jam. I understand all these engines are different (and how identical engines can have different settings between them just because of no real explainable reason). I am not looking for perfection, only to get it to a place where there isnt a concern that I will burn a valve.

Thanks!

~JH

Also, I am including a garage shot of a couple old trucks of mine for no reason:

---------- Post added at 04:30:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:27:13 PM ----------

(*pic didnt show in previous post)
Jim, nice trucks, the adjustment in the photo is a butterfly valve 1/4 turn from wide open to shut off there might be a R and L on the casting for rich and lean settings..