Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 50DGCA Fuel Solenoid

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 1088 times

Old 01-05-2018, 07:02:36 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Onan 50DGCA Fuel Solenoid

Iíll look for the manuals I need the spec letter behind the model number.
There is a dgca but I need the spec letter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	215ADF4B-E33B-4544-BEAA-A3DF758EE799.png
Views:	26
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	299839  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2018, 03:44:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,022 Posts

Fuel solenoid? On that machine?

I'd be real surprised if the wires were any color other than white. Look closely at them and you will se numbers on those wires, at both ends. They reference where the start and where they go.

Almost sounds like the 2 red wires go to the governor controller which probably has 4 or maybe even 6, or more wires to it.

Pictures of the injection pump would be most helpful.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:24:28 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPack View Post
I’ll look for the manuals I need the spec letter behind the model number.
There is a dgca but I need the spec letter
Oh awesome man, yeah the spec number is 68112J. I still haven't heard back from the boss so that's great, thanks.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
Fuel solenoid? On that machine?

I'd be real surprised if the wires were any color other than white. Look closely at them and you will se numbers on those wires, at both ends. They reference where the start and where they go.

Almost sounds like the 2 red wires go to the governor controller which probably has 4 or maybe even 6, or more wires to it.

Pictures of the injection pump would be most helpful.
Yeah they're all white, alright. I haven't looked so close as to see any numbers yet. I'll have a glance at them when I go out to shut the Deutz down tonight.

The two red wires do go to the controller and there are a bunch of other wires that connect there as well.
Here's the weird thing.... the first two terminals on the controller are marked + & -. The - goes over to the other side of the block and attaches to the grd lug, of course. The + goes over to the other side of the block and attaches to another grd lug. So what is up with that?
It seems like a no-brainer to take that wire off of that grd lug and put it to power but since I am not familiar with how the thing is wired, I figure I best leave it.
So another question I have is this. I understand how this is supposed to work, in theory. You power up the solenoid (or governor) to open the valve allowing fuel to the injection pump but normally there is a positive wire to open the valve and then another positive to keep it open, then there is a ground. So I don't fully understand how this can work with only one positive and a grd.
Also, with a push-button start, I don't see how it's wired so that the starter solenoid is not always engaging the starter pinion.

Also, I tried uploading pics for the thread but it didn't work. Any tips on that lol

Thanks for the responses fellas!

Cheers,

Ron
Old 01-07-2018, 02:03:46 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,349 Times in 871 Posts

Read this and maybe it will help:

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40589
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nothingbutdarts For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 03:48:35 AM
Subscriber

960-0505 dgca service manual looks like some install , op , parts manuals also .
Do you need to get them to.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw5yom93j8...81%29.pdf?dl=0

Last edited by KPack; 01-07-2018 at 03:03:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KPack For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 09:29:16 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,279 Times in 834 Posts

SOME coils use a 'pull' and a 'hold' coil. The pull coil is high amp and can get the armature moving when wide open, but if it runs all the time, it will quickly overheat and burn up. When the armature is bottomed out, it takes a lot less power, that's done by the hold coil. Most times, in free air, the hold coil would close the solenoid but it might not have the force at full extension needed to pull it's 'load'.

Some coils don't need TWO hots, they just have the hold coil, in cases where the design doesn't end up needing the force to get the job done.

Some coils the pull coil is built in, and when it bottoms out, an internal switch is opened that cuts power to the pull coil.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 01:04:02 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,419 Times in 765 Posts

I'm pretty certain OP is talking about a governor actuator. DGCA uses the Cummins 4BT engine, and that injection pump has the shutdown solenoid integral to it. Unit either has the large Woodard actuator tower on it, or more likely the smaller round can-type linear actuator.

OP needs to respond with a couple photos of the injection pump area, and one of the governor control (box with the wires on it.) That box will have switched B+, B-(ground), actuator (2-wires), magnetic pick-up[MPU], and optionally a remote speed adjust connection.

* Switched B+ needs to be put back on correct terminal, if previously removed.
* MPU needs to be checked for ohms (remove wires from box and measure with an ohm meter. --Two kinds of MPU's generally, one ohms around 300 +/- ohms when good, the other around 1000 +/- when good. If ohms are good, need to put meter in AC low voltage scale, and measure voltage while cranking the unit. Should get at least 2 volts out of it at cranking.
* Actuator by injection pump: Remove the two wires, and set up some jumpers from battery. One from ground--connect to actuator. the positive wire (fused at 5~10Amps) to the other actuator wire. Only tap very briefly. Do not leave wires connected for any amount of time. If good, that actuator will snap sharply to its opposite position when voltage is applied.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DGCA_Actuators.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	299934  
The Following User Says Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 02:14:08 PM
Registered

Alrighty, here are some pics.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	299940   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	299941   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	299942  
Old 01-07-2018, 02:25:04 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPack View Post
960-0505 dgca service manual looks like some install , op , parts manuals also .
Do need to get them to.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw5yom93j8...81%29.pdf?dl=0
Cool man, thanks! Got it!
Old 01-07-2018, 02:33:09 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,419 Times in 765 Posts

Thank you. Now, if you have access to a multimeter, perform the checks in my previous post. The wires on the blue box: the Battery - goes to ground, and Battery + goes to what should be a small insulated screw on the block, with some other wires attached to it. This is the switched B+ terminal. That terminal gets battery power as soon as the control is given a run signal.

Unplug the actuator at those two red-wire pigtail connectors, to do the battery "click" test.

IF all the tests check out, and all is wired back correctly (verify the battery + terminal is getting voltage during cranking), then, if the multimeter has a duty cycle setting on the DC voltage scale, put the leads on the actuator output of the blue box while having a buddy crank the engine, and see if it shows anything. If duty cycle isn't present, ie, 0% (and I'm guessing you'd maybe see anywhere from 35-55% with that box), then the blue controller is bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to EricWood For This Post: