Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

IH Famous flywheel question.

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 1886 times

Old 01-13-2007, 02:55:59 AM
Registered

Default IH Famous flywheel question.

I have several famous style Inters but one, a 1916 4 HP has a different style flywheel to the rest, with square pockets cast into the inside of the outer rim of the flywheel, with it looks like plaster in them. I had always assumed this was something to do with the engines balance and that these probibally had some form of weight incorporated in them, but I have a friend who also has one of these engines equiped with this style of flywheels and he is adament that they are electrical flywheels used when the engine was set up driving a generator. The electrical flywheels I have seen on other engines were all very heavy compared to the standard wheels while these seem to be about the same size and weight as the other "standard" wheel, so does anyone know the signifigance of these different wheels.

Graham
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2007, 10:19:07 AM
Registered

Default Re: IH Famous flywheel question.

inter bloke

i am quite sure the pockets in the flywheel were for balance. i have a six horse famous with this type of flywheel and some of the pockets are filled with lead. if the flywheel were used for some type of armature any type fields would be on the outside rim and not made of lead.

harry eisenhauer
Old 01-13-2007, 06:08:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,378 Times in 549 Posts

Those FWs with the pockets are usaully on the throttle gov/ titan engines. I don't think IHC ever made any Fws extra heavy for generater service. or at least none that I have seen in the parts books.Rob
Old 01-13-2007, 10:37:18 PM
Registered

Thanks bloke's,
The engines I have seen with these were all throttle governed so I surpose thats right , the ID plate is missing on the one I found so it may be a "Titan", I called it "Famous" style because its much the same construction as my Famous and the "Victor". I am not sure about my mates engine, I will have to look. Harry what year was yours made ? I am just wondering if it is something they did to later models and not to the earlyer ones.

Thanks anyway fellers,
Graha
Old 01-14-2007, 03:37:23 PM
Registered

I once had a 1914 6 HP t/g Titan with the pockets in the flywheels. They were filled with lead for balancing. Al Wait