Oil Field Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment OFES members otherwise known as "Oafs". If you like "BIG OLD GREASY RUSTY OIL FIELD ENGINES, you're in the right place. Founded by Russell Farmer.

Oil Field Engines & Related Equipment

HELP On Reid Main valve

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 3062 times

Old 09-26-2007, 05:00:04 PM
Registered

Default HELP On Reid Main valve

Can any of you fellow OAFS out there tell me any tricks/ideas on how to remove a stuck main valve on my 20hp Reid? It's an early engine without the spark plug hole above. I would appreciate any help or ideas any of you guys would have.
Thanks In Advance,
Don
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2007, 10:12:49 PM
Registered

Default Re: HELP On Reid Main valve

Don is it transfer valve or intake you trying to remove.the transfer valve can be real pain, I have used air hammer, dont get to aggressive or you could break valve .take your time dont get in hurry it will come.hope this helps. Mike Jones
Old 09-26-2007, 10:29:58 PM
Registered

Thanks Mike, It's the transfer valve, I've got it to move a little(I think), but it's still tight.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:24:40 AM
Registered

I actually removed ours by the brainless move of removing the 4 nuts on the valve the pulled the piston through a complete cycle. However we did have a mag and sparkplug and I did leave the gas on soooooooo.....KABOOM!
The valve blew out in one loud, quick motion. Of course everyone thought I had blown the engine up. The valve was no worse for the wear my trailer has a small hole where the valve tip hit the wood deck. Good luck and wear ear protection... Rusty
Old 09-29-2007, 03:47:55 PM
Registered

Thanks Rusty, I'd like to try that, but my piston is stuck too. My piston is almost to TDC, so maybe I can us a grease gun and pump it out. I did have the bright idea of putting ether in the ingiter bushing hole and lighting it off, but I thought that was a little stupid even for me to try. I'll take it slow and take less of a chance of breaking something or blowing myself up. Don
Old 02-18-2010, 09:25:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,146 Times in 331 Posts

Remove the ignitor bushing from top of cylinder,insert 1/2 rod about 2ft long into the hole and hit with BFH. The rod will line up perfect with the center of the valve.This works quick and easy and will not damage copper ring area like the chisel and hammer method, been there done that. By the way don't forget to take the nuts off.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:42:04 PM
Registered

Don, If you cant remove the main piston, can you remove the charge piston? If so, pull it out and get a piece of tubing about 4 ft long. bend the last 10 inches or so at 90 degree. Mix up some 50/50 acetone and ATF. pour the mixture in the tube and blow it in with air to soak the top of the valve housing. Then after a good soaking, take some hardwood shims and drive in between the square flange and the block. With tension on the flange, tap the corners of the flange with a small hammer back and forth,using the little space between the studs and the flange holes.Be very careful on the studs, they are a very soft metal and will snap easy. Good Luck, Jim.