Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

dc breaker popping? mep-003a

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 714 times

Old 10-23-2015, 06:57:07 PM
Registered

Default dc breaker popping? mep-003a

I have now installed new batteries but when I turn the master switch to the right at all, the dc breaker pops? Also my 2nd mep-003a sounds like it needs a new starter. Where can I get one?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2015, 08:15:55 PM
Registered-I

Default Re: dc breaker popping? mep-003a

Each of the 3 fuel pumps has a feed through capacitor to reduce electrical "noise" or hash. These often go bad (short out). To find out which one (or if any one or more) is shorted you can unplug the wire going to each fuel pump at the inline connector in the wire one at a time.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:14:41 PM
Registered-II

Default Re: dc breaker popping? mep-003a

What happens when you turn the switch to fuel pumps, should get a rattle as the fuel pump operates. If not check the voltage at the breaker and see if you have PLUS 24 volts, if not your battery leads are reversed. DID you hook up your batteries in SERIES +---Minus +- Minus ground lead is to the bolt on the starter, and the Starter solenoid volt.Hook up your negative to the battery last. Then check between the battery + and the other NEG and see what your voltage is.
Next check that the control panel is grounded, there is a jumper on the bottom of the control box,that bonds to the frame, check for corrosion.
Check that from TB$ 12-13-14 that the screws are tight and that you get +24 from the breaker to the terminals onTB4.
Re starters have several send me a private e mail
mvamaunet@gmail.com.
Let me know what you find re voltage.
R