Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Fermont 100KW Cummins Generator

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 7676 times

Old 10-23-2014, 11:54:42 AM
Registered-I

Default Re: Fermont 100KW Cummins Generator

Thanks, I have to remove the injection pump off the engine anyway because the seal is out of it and leaking fuel into the crank case, maybe the MVS pump would be the way to go. I have been searching for a Woodward governor but have came up with little success. There is one on eBay right now but it is only for the governor, part number is 8511-155, and I don't know if it is right for my application. I need the governor drive that goes between the Accessory drive and PT pump also.
What are you using for a generator control panel? I would really like to eliminate or simplify the military control panel or build a new one. Thanks, Zach
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2014, 04:43:40 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z. A. Bender View Post
What are you using for a generator control panel? I would really like to eliminate or simplify the military control panel or build a new one. Thanks, Zach
Very simple, just the standard engine gages such as oil pressure, coolant temp, etc. You should have two oil pressure sensors. One for the gage, and the other a pressure switch for if there is a loss of oil pressure, to shut the unit down. You will need a momentary switch as a bypass for starting, until the oil pressure builds. You may also have a coolant high temp switch to shut the unit down in case of over heating.

On the electrical side of things, meters to monitor voltage, amps, and frequency. If you go with the sx460 voltage regulator, (very easy to install), you should be able to eliminate the rest of the military controls. If my memory serves me correctly, the sx460 also has some adjustable failsafes as well.

And one other issue on my mb17, was the lack of a generator to charge the batteries (24v system). Since the military controls had been stripped, a couple of plug in chargers powered by 110v (powered by the generator), were used, and was an economical solution. One for each battery. My 50kw set has a separate 24v generator and charging system.
Old 12-27-2015, 02:32:41 PM
Registered-I

Working on my Gen set again. I found a Cummins PT pump with MVS governor on EBay a while back and installed it yesterday on the engine and removed the old governing system on the engine. Runs excellent now and will hold rpm when set. I now plan on civilianizing my machine and putting a new control system on it. To many people have had their hands in the wiring and the id's on the wiring are getting tough to read. I want to wire it for single phase operation, my next plan of attack is to strip it down and only keep what I need to make it operational and then build a simple control cabinet to house gauges and what ever else is needed. I already have a set of Murphy gauges. Here is a picture with the different pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	242376