Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets MEP Mobile Electric Power, APU Auxiliary Power Unit and other military surplus generators.

Military MEP and Aircraft Gen-Sets

Fermont 100KW Cummins Generator

this thread has 32 replies and has been viewed 7595 times

Old 10-31-2012, 07:16:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,415 Times in 762 Posts
Default Re: Fermont 100KW Cummins Generator

Throttle cable was not an option. Was either a motorized Woodward PSG hydraulic governor, or the Electronic governor. Based on the fuel piping over top of the pump, I'd guess you had the electronic governor, and your actuator is long gone.

Key switch is an add-on.

Can you post a picture of the inside of the control panel? (the stuff on the inside back wall of the box.)

eric

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Oops. Long day on the road. Now I see the fuel actuator. Shouldn't be any cable attached. Throttle should be a a fixed high rpm position for this application. So I guessing the governor system is shot?

Let me know if that little fuel actuator over the PT pump shows any signs of life when its running.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 07:19:41 PM
Registered-I

Here is a picture of the back of the control box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	220 cummins genset 008.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	148351  
The Following User Says Thank You to Z. A. Bender For This Post:
Old 10-31-2012, 08:41:02 PM
Registered-III

Do you have a gold or silver box that looks like the one in the picture hanging around the unit somewhere? This is your speed controller.

I believe they can be replaced by othe AMBAC governor controller models, but you would need to check with them. They are spendy--these go in the $500-650 range. Too much for no better controller than it is, in my opinion.

eric

ps: apologies for the tiny picture
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bosch-AMBAC governor.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	148356  
Old 10-31-2012, 08:46:03 PM
Registered-I

Yes I believe so, I will check tomorrow in the day light, if that will fix it I don't mind spending that kind of money on it, Thanks, Zach
Old 10-31-2012, 11:05:21 PM
Registered-II

synchro-start at top of pt pump is only a speed SWITCH ,habitually used for start-disconnect and overspeed circuits(two microswitchs),
this fuel pump looks like a standard automotive PT without variable governor.
It need an actuator attached to throttle arm.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10:26 AM
Registered-III

Moteurdelco,

You are correct about the speed switch functions.

Look at the attached photo...this is a seldom seen governor set up for PT pumps....Instead of a governor controlling the PT Pump fuel arm, it's supposed to be fixed to maximum fuel, and the governor actuator moves the little flow control valve up and down in the cylinder to modulate flow control. The same thing the shaft inside the PT pump normally does. In the picture, the actuator is hiding behind the home-made key bracket, and its arm is attached to the flow valve sitting directly behind it. You can follow the fuel line out of the PT pump fuel shutoff solenoid (wide-open fuel delivery), into the flow control valve, and then it's output line goes up to the injector rail.

Don't ask me who thought of it/why they did it if the PT pump can do it, I don't know.

ZA, I'm going to guess your controller is bad, and that the actuator may be good. Never saw them go bad very much. Most common problem mechanially was fuel would start leaking at the modulating valve portion.

eric
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PTPump w_Flow Control.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	148378  
The Following User Says Thank You to EricWood For This Post:
Old 11-01-2012, 03:59:16 PM
Registered-I

I now understand how the engine speed is regulated. I had it running again today, the actuator will flinch a little when I mess with the Add on key switch, otherwise when I hook the battery up it goes all the way open. So I also believe the controller may be bad.

Now my next question, was the add on start switch necessary to make this run or is there other problems. I think there is a problem with the way they have the start switch wired in. The engine will start with the key, but in order for the batteries to start charging I have to turn the key to the off position. Also there is a drain from the batteries when I leave them hooked up.

Here is a picture of the controller I believe you asked me about.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	220 cummins genset 010.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	148412   Click image for larger version

Name:	220 cummins genset 011.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	148413  
Old 11-01-2012, 04:02:09 PM
Registered-I

Is there a speed sensor some place that could be bad?
Old 11-02-2012, 06:17:41 AM
Registered-III

Is the throttle arm on the side of your PT pump tight, or can you move it? Needs to be tight to max fuel. Does it run close to the correct speed when you run it? The fuel actuator will be at full fuel with power applied to the controller, until the engine approaches the target speed, then it backs down to maintain set rpms. Yes there is a magnetic pick up (MPU) over the flywheel teeth somewhere...that is your speed reference into the CU679.

If you have all the diagrams, it sounds light you are ready to dive into the world of MB-Teen troubleshooting. Trying to undo what others have done can be difficult. Hopefully you can still read most of the wiring numbers. Yes, I would say that keyswitch set up needs to go, and figure out what went bad in the first place. Likely a relay in the start circuit somewhere.

Battery draw in stand by was normal. These units, when they were in automatic operation, had to have the charger on LOW all the time. There is a connection point on one of the small side terminal boards for hooking 120V external power. I would not recommend using the on board charger until you have verified all wiring integrity. I never liked the built-in charger...always 120 lurking about inside the box when you're trying to troubleshoot. Just be sure to pull the breakers when you're done for the day and there shouldn't be any current draw.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04:14 AM
Registered-I

Yes the throttle arm moves a little, I believe the 2 set screws with jam nuts on top of where the throttle comes out of the pump will do that. Sounds like I need to get this thing off the trailer and into the shop and try to undo everyone else's handy work. Thanks, Zach