Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan 45.0EM Starter Ring Gear

this thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1006 times

Old 11-18-2017, 06:40:46 PM
Registered

Default Re: Onan 45.0EM Starter Ring Gear

Worked on the generator some today.

Found that the cause of all this is that the ring gear broke. I think that's the best case scenario, and means that the flywheel itself should be fine. I counted the teeth while I was at it, and netted 184 total. That's the standard Ford ring gear tooth count. Sounds promising. Still need to measure the ID, to be absolutely sure.

Started working on preparing to separate the generator head from the engine. Was able to loosen all the bolts holding the head to the flywheel housing, and got all the bolts holding the drive plate to the flywheel loose.

I have a question, before I proceed further. Please forgive me for the basic question... First large generator teardown... When I remove the bolts from the drive plate, and start to separate the engine and head, the rotor is going to be unsupported on the engine side. Do I need to support the rotor somehow, so it won't rest on the stator?

Thanks,
Brad
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2017, 07:04:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,264 Times in 828 Posts

It's just a standard ring gear. I've got them from the auto parts store.

Looks like PN# BK-6003035 from Napa, $26. Should be able to get them from any auto parts store.

Just let the rotor rest, but you should make efforts to not let it get too far off horizontal, like having it roll off the supports, or it might try to slip out of the can, which could be bad.

You won't want or need to get the ring gear red to get it on. I've got one to slip on with a pair of heat guns. Probably never got it over 400 degrees.
The Following User Says Thank You to pegasuspinto For This Post:
Old 11-18-2017, 08:17:34 PM
Email NOT Working

Conventional way to get a ring gear that size on is to stick it in a standard oven for a while. I think it will fit.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:33:50 PM
Registered

Cool! Thank you for the input.

I've got a ring gear ordered, as well as a rear main seal. It seemed to be leaking some, so I figured I better replace the seal while in there. Should be in on Wednesday.

Appreciate the advice on the rotor!

I'm going to try Gunny's advice on sliding the head back from the engine, instead of pulling the engine. I'll make sure that the head stays horizontal, as you mentioned.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:38:37 AM
Registered-I

As stated previously do not heat the ring gear till it is red. Heat evenly with a torch till when you spit on it the spit bounces off. Quickly lower it onto the flywheel. It will cool real fast once it touches the flywheel (shrink) so make sure it seats all the way around.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:00:39 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 1,264 Times in 828 Posts

Keep in mind the rotor/stator are going to be REAL DANG HEAVY. Maybe..800 pounds if I had to guess. Not an epic weight but plenty to smash fingers and toes, and more then you can wrestle around if your support system gives way. I've used a small car jacks and plenty of blocks of wood, or if you had a hoist that would work well too.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:33:09 AM
Registered

I'll make sure to keep the heating under control, and not overdo it. I'd think that if one would overheat too much, it could cause problems with the temper.

As far as supporting the head... I was planning in putting a sling around the head on both sides, and using my engine hoist to raise it a little until it just barely raises off its mounts. I've got some blocks of 4x4 and 2x4 laying around, so I'll put some mini cribbing under it, just in case.

Thank you all for the advice.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:55:18 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,633 Times in 1,551 Posts

In 60+ years working on vehicles, I have come across ring gears with teeth milled out, 3 that came off flywheel, but never one that broke. Since you do not want to do a repeat performance, suggest while you have everything apart, check starter pinion, etc. to see if you can determine what caused it to break. Maybe a bolt or piece of metal got in teeth?
Examine where it broke, hopefully you find a flaw in ring gear that caused break.

I second the oven method.
I set the oven to 550 degrees and carried ring gear out to engine with a piece of 2x4 through the center. Quickly put it on flywheel, and used 2x4 and hammer to seat ring gear.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:57:16 PM
Registered

Thanks for the input. I will definitely look over everything, to see if I can find a cause for the failure.

I'll also use the recommended oven method for heating the ring gear. The other option was to take the flywheel and ring gear to a buddy's and have him use a torch to heat it and put it in place. I'd think an oven would heat the gear more evenly, though.

Working on the project more today...

I've removed the drive plate to flywheel bolts, the head to flywheel housing bolts, and the head to skid mounting point bolts. When I tried to lift the head some, to see if it was loose, it wouldn't budge.

I found the long through-bolts from the end bell side to the flywheel housing. In one post here on the forum, I found someone else asking whether to remove them. The reply on that thread was a yes, as that individual was trying to separate the stator and rotor. In my case, where I'm trying to keep the head as intact as possible, I'm trying to see if there's a way to separate the engine and the flywheel housing instead of pulling the head off the flywheel housing.

I'm taking this a bit slow... I've never wrenched on a large generator before. Most of my knuckle busting is done on vehicles. Doing more reading on the forums and such before making the next step.

I didn't like the way the sling was sitting around the head anyway, so stepping back for a few hours gives me a chance to find a better way to sling up the head.

Thanks,
Brad
Old 11-25-2017, 02:11:21 PM
Subscriber

I use an engine leveling adjuster. This hangs from the hook on a cherry picker type floor Crane and you can adjust it for an aft for center of gravity. From the hooks on this at the ends I use two straps around the generator section one of the front of the generator section, one at the back. Very easy to find level with this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Troll For This Post: