Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Tell me why:

this thread has 45 replies and has been viewed 1595 times

Old 11-17-2017, 02:10:13 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,394 Times in 930 Posts
Default Re: Tell me why:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll View Post
The generator is to supply power for the mobile workshop. The compressor is one integral piece of equipment for the working unit.
In this case where the compressor is pretty much always needed, I'd say to drive a pump directly off the engine that drives the generator. An unloader to control pressure.

A much smaller engine and generator could then be used (less expensive to buy, less expensive to feed) and a current sensor could lock out the compressor (via the unloader) during times of high electrical demand to prevent engine overload. A decent sized tank could take care of the air demand during the time the pump is off. Yada yada yada...

Last edited by Vanman; 11-17-2017 at 02:41:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2017, 08:22:33 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 3,580 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Re: The Deal is Done:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead View Post
WOW..... So a paint job on a TIRED old engine is just a tired old engine with a paint job. CLEARLY not refurbished!
I guess it depends on how the seller defines "refurbished". The ad put so much emphasis on "refurbished not rebuilt" that I suspected the "refurbishment" was a coat of paint on a "low hour" (here we go with definitions again) engine.

Someone should ask a question on the Ebay ad asking for the definitions of "refurbished" and "low hours".
Old 11-17-2017, 08:30:24 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dawkins View Post
Is this the same mobile workshop that the guy tried to get you to extend the chassis a while back, or am I thinking of someone else?
Not the same job, or guy. This guy also does automotive dealership work but this compressor and generator are mounted inside a 36' race car hauler type trailer.

Come to think of it I'll have to follow up on the chassis extension. He had a welding shop in Bloomington, IL, (I believe) do the work and I've not heard anything back.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:26:05 PM
Registered-I

Quote:
The generator is to supply power for the mobile workshop. The compressor is one integral piece of equipment for the working unit.
Hmm...
OK.

Is the compressor motor a rewind?
Big units like this tend to get rewound rather than replaced.
Sometimes they do not put back what they took out.
Often grinding is required to clean up the iron and this iron loss weakens the motor and increases its starting current demands.
Old 11-17-2017, 03:09:03 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newoldstock View Post
Hmm...
OK.

Is the compressor motor a rewind?
Big units like this tend to get rewound rather than replaced.
Sometimes they do not put back what they took out.
Often grinding is required to clean up the iron and this iron loss weakens the motor and increases its starting current demands.
Brand new, but purchased via an online vendor. The complete compressor unit is a new Ingersol-Rand w/80 gallon upright tank. It was supplied complete.
Old 11-19-2017, 06:26:01 PM
Subscriber

Default Troll the Teacher:

Quote:
I believe that is still a go. I'm looking forward to trying it as there was so much "pushback" about the generator being suspect in conversations.
I set the DJC and 75' of 8AWG SO cord in the back of my pickup last evening and strapped it down for the ride this morning. After the Sunday morning trip to the house of worship to beg and plead forgiveness for my past week's committed sins, I drove over to see the compressor first hand after dropping my wife at our daughter's house. I found the generator gone having been taken back with the gent whom performed the load test. I interconnected up into his entrance panel, and fired up the engine. After giving it about three minutes to warm, I gave the "OK" to throw the main breaker on the trailer. Upon closing the main breaker, the lights came right up. Now just prior to him closing the breaker for the air compressor, He facetiously stated and I quote, "If this son of a bitch starts, I'll kiss your ass". Then with a smirk, he closed the breaker with a resulting immediate look of pure shock as the compressor roared to life, and I started laughing. Once the compressor built up to 175psi, (indicated) and shut off, he turned with a somewhat sheepish looking grin and asked, "any chance we can renegotiate this deal?"..... Now being the nice guy I am, and having just been forgiven for last week, and much too early to start off bad on this one, I let him out of his brokered "deal".....

We did part company with me telling him to "Never doubt the power of my Onan". This of course after he bought me lunch.

He tells me there is an Onan in his immediate future but hasn't located one yet. It will be three phase after this ordeal I'm assured.

Thanks,
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Troll For This Post: