Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Am I the only one...

this thread has 31 replies and has been viewed 1051 times

Old 11-20-2017, 12:45:45 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: Am I the only one...

Well, I'm not a doomsday planner or anything like that but I've seen several extended power outages in my time in the little town I live in. Most are just a few hours but twice it's been a couple of days. I've always had my 5.0CCK at the ready but I now have a P&S on both my house and shop to easily plug into, flip a disconnect, and go on as nothing ever happened. Kind of expensive to use my "EF" which I've done a few times hooked into the natural gas supply at the house, or gasoline at the shop. Was planning to permanently install a "JC" onto the house as I have an ATS but haven't found a 12-15kw single phase gaseous fuel unit yet. Out of all the engine generators I have, "Chump", and the 5.0CCK are the only single phase units, everything else is three phase.

I have a pair of 30kw gensets including mounted ATS but they are so heavy one needs a 5K forklift to move them. They are not weatherproof. My "EF" is heavy also but I move it with my skid steer and usually just leave it on the trailer when using it. Basically the same with the 5.0CCK except it usually resides in the pickup bed. Both the "EF" and 5.0CCK have been through many rainstorms without damage through the years. I have ready made cables built up for both of these sets so just plug either into the P&S, and switch positions of the generator disconnect in the basement. Have to be judicious with usage when powering with the 5.0CCK, but that's not difficult.

Used to run power to the neighbors when the grid was down. That is until they started to bitching about me working on my trucks at night. You'll probably remember my "air horn in the bedroom window" story of a couple months ago, but I don't much help the folks any longer. Think they wound up purchasing their own because there is a new "screamer" someplace around when the power is out.

Somebody comes across a single phase gaseous fuel "JC" I'd be interested. Was going to install the DJC I more/less donated in Florida last month onto the house, but that deal meant a bit more to me as I can get by as I have.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Troll For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2017, 01:10:52 AM
Subscriber

Thumbs down Re: Am I the only one...

"...but I now have a P&S on both my house and shop to easily plug into, flip a disconnect, and go on..."

So you're basically "backfeeding"...
Old 11-20-2017, 02:35:47 AM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokay5 View Post
"...but I now have a P&S on both my house and shop to easily plug into, flip a disconnect, and go on..."

So you're basically "backfeeding"...
Nope. These are switches for this isolation duty. Down position is P&S feed, up position is commercial power, center position is off. No way to "backfeed" as you put it as only one source is available at any time to facility load. Kinda think of it as an "open transition" manual switch.

Let's call commercial power Source 1, (S1) and standby generator power Source 2, (S2).

Basically upon commercial power, (S1) failure, you plug the standby generator, (S2) into the P&S, (pin and sleeve) start the engine, go into the basement of the house, (or next to the entrance panel at the shop) and yank the handle to the "down" position. At this time you have completely eliminated commercial power's, (S1) ability to power the load. When commercial power, (S1) returns, one moves the handle to the upper position which precludes the generator, (S2) from powering the load as they are isolated from each other, let the genset run a while to cool down, then shut the engine off, unplug, and coil the leads. Pretty simple really. No possible way to backfeed or any danger when the loads are switched from S2 to S1 and both are able to supply voltage/current.

Appears you "groaned" my post when you didn't understand what was going on.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:28:15 AM
Sponsor

there are tornadoes from time to time
they are very localized but very destructive.
even the big one in Joplin MO missed 2/3s of the town

not nearly as wide spread as a hurricane and/or flooding
Ice storms and straight line winds have wrecked a good part of the local grid
one each in the same year caused an excrement storm for the regulators
there after a billion dollar service improvement and PR program was
folded into the rate structure. at present 8.3 cents/kwh

I was ready for the ice storm, and no loss of power for the wind storm.
but both times hauled a generator to my child-hood home for my mother
each of those lasted about 5 days, and in each case, about the third day, the neighborhood sprouted junkerators.

the winter ICE STORM a 5KW Coleman did the job for mom's fridge, light and heat
the summer straight line winds a 7.2KW K-582 powered Homelite for
a window AC, fridge, lights, and microwave

heavy extension cords galore
I did have to remind the care givers to ignore mom when she asked them to move the generator to the garage
[too heavy and you will die young] mom was getting a little batty @97 but she knew why her lights were on.

Last edited by armandh; 11-20-2017 at 07:51:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to armandh For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 08:59:49 AM
Registered-III

Thanked 4,313 Times in 2,062 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokay5 View Post
...We keep as low a profile as possible, for reasons that are all too obvious.
Point taken. My experience has been that the compromises required to keep a low profile are a pain in the rear end and often not as effective as one might wish. Thus, I have taken a somewhat different approach, making sure that it is obvious that I am well prepared and that I intend to stay that way regardless of other's desire and/or efforts to avail themselves of my property or premises.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wayne 440 For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 10:18:02 AM
Registered-I

Im kinda the same way. They will have a heck of a time getting the BGM off the back of my medium duty truck. Unbolt it first the ny-locks will take some time. Then past the 5th wheel hitch and down to the ground. LOL. Hard for me not to know there getting it down as the aluminum diamond plate cover pins are squeaky noisy removing them
The Following User Says Thank You to consolenut For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:49:01 PM
Registered-II

When someone asks why I want to put so much money into a generator setup? I have an ES 20 Onan single phase natural gas unit with manual transfer switch. I answered thus; "call me when the lights go out and then we can discuss it! End of conversation.
The Following User Says Thank You to GADavis For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 12:52:00 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Im kinda the same way. They will have a heck of a time getting the BGM off the back of my medium duty truck. Unbolt it first the ny-locks will take some time. Then past the 5th wheel hitch and down to the ground. LOL. Hard for me not to know there getting it down as the aluminum diamond plate cover pins are squeaky noisy removing them
If I find someone trying to carry my 15.0JC out of the shed I think I'll just let them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JT240Z For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 01:22:15 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,324 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
Around here, they would not remove gen, would take truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Power For This Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 01:25:03 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,973 Times in 1,283 Posts

The only worries I'll have is the wind blowing the roof off my 200 mph wind rated shed.. or 3 feet of water causing no damage as it will be 3 1/2 feet off the ground.. if it's worse than that power will not be my issue.. but the escape plan over flooded roads.. good thing I have a little jet boat.

And someone running off with a 2500 pound 30 kw onan diesel anchored to a shed that's anchored to concrete is not a concern when I can see it from my back porch 20 feet off the ground that gives me the upper hand with a nice ar15 and etc
Old 11-20-2017, 01:45:00 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 5,408 Times in 3,930 Posts

I have my NHM "temporarily" up on a cement block table and chained to a tree. Till I figure out more permant weather protection I figured on putting a 4x8 ft peice of plywood and cement block over it while running. Maybe shorter peices leaning on sides to protect from rain spray. Nice that NHM has a flat top cover.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:10:04 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power View Post
Around here, they would not remove gen, would take truck.
I've never had anything stolen from my shop which is quite exposed and I've left several small items out of doors when probably should not have.

That being said there has been more than one thief in the local area come down with an acute case of lead poisoning. My neighbor swears a thief to him looks just like a deer during rifle season of which he's an avid hunter.

He's a pretty good neighbor really. Doesn't bother me and I don't bother him. He doesn't mind my trucks or generators, and I don't mind his guns no matter how many dozens of rounds are let loose with a single squeeze of a trigger. He keeps an eye on the place when I'm not there.

Come to think of it I did annoy him once but really wasn't my fault due to wind change. I was putting into practice my "environmental conscienceness", getting rid of a dozen or so used tires which were worn out through a "controlled burn". Was really going great till the wind direction changed and he was BBQing some kind of recent kill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Troll For This Post: