Generators and Motors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Vintage Electrical Equipment > Generators & Electric Motors General Discussion > Onan Generators
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Onan Generators Restoring, operating and maintaining vintage Onan generators.

Onan Generators

Onan Mechanical Governors, Torque and Springs

this thread has 23 replies and has been viewed 6087 times

Old 11-20-2017, 08:29:00 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 5,345 Times in 2,904 Posts
Default Re: Onan Mechanical governors, torque and springs

Kind of depends on what generator you have.

Best to start a new thread on your set. Include the complete model & serial number, be sure to inc. the spec. letter at the end of the model #.

Pictures are always a great way to get our attention, we love pictures and they say many things words can not or that you may not notice.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2017, 12:16:36 PM
Registered

I know this is a late post but thought it might be helpful to others......

I was wondering about governor springs in a similar way as Magnetite. It seems he was quite close to solving his issue by experimentation using assorted springs he had on hand. Looking back at his posts he did state he had success!

Unfortunately, the spring he used was too long.

In my case, the governed range of cycles (Hz) was too wide from no load to full load. As best I could with information from internet posts, I went over the entire generator configuration making everything up to snuff. In other words, a good tuneup. I found & corrected several problems: some from the factory, some made by a professional engine tuneup expert and some self inflicted. LOL! Many thanks to you all which contributed to this thread. Your information helped me a great deal!

With everything else, now, considered to be equal: the last issue was my stock governor spring. This spring was connected to the governor arm in the closest hole to the governor rod. I did not want to order the same stock spring and probably find the same results.

So, I decided to go to the hardware store and purchase (for 5 bucks) a few springs which seemed to fit my need: appropriately sized springs with a lower "k" value. With more sensitivity, I was able to find, by a process of elimination, a new governor spring which helped me achieve a tighter range of Hz (59- to 61+).

My goal was this: I wanted to see the governor hunt (revving engine up and down) at constant load with a governor spring connected in the hole closest to the governor rod - this condition being TOO sensitive. Then, as I moved the spring connection further out the arm - further away from the governor rod - the hunting subsided and then, finally, stopped. At last, with the spring connected to the middle hole (of 5 holes), I was satisfied my task was done. Hurray!
The Following User Says Thank You to forWhatItsWorth For This Post:
Old 11-27-2017, 02:08:58 PM
Registered-I

what were the problems that you fixed?
Old 11-27-2017, 05:13:29 PM
Registered-III

Thanked 2,027 Times in 1,217 Posts

I would say this thread author is extremely lucky if he can find a non standard governor spring that will permit his machine to meet the Onan frequency performance specification.