Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Vintage Lombard Ad

this thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 3086 times

Old 07-08-2009, 05:17:37 PM
Registered-III

Default Re: Vintage Lombard Ad

I wonder if Elvin Stoker had a vendor relationship with Lombard or their boiler supplier? The only stokers I'm familiar with are the "silent firemen" they used to put in house cellars or chicken houses pre-WW2 or so, I almost saved one of these chicken house coal and boiler units but after some beers on a friday night they bulldozed everything under before I got there saturday morning to dismantle it.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2009, 08:59:53 PM
Registered-II

Thanked 1,936 Times in 361 Posts

Hello Rene,

From what I can tell Lombard sourced his boilers from the Ames Iron Works of Oswego, NY.

The Elvin Mechanical Stoker was specificly designed for steam locomotives. - This was the first I have heard of them. My old Locomotive Encyclopedia has Crawford and Street stoker systems but not Elvin. I believe his was patented around 1914.

If you were firing a big K4 on the Broadway Limited or a Hudson on the 20th Century you loved your automatic stoker. If you were the shop foreman in charge of maintaining them than you loathed them with a passion.

Rene,

The Bradley Lombard is not living yet. The new boiler is still being fabricated. However, still a lot of interesting stuff to see. Say hello to Bill for me.

Terry
Old 07-09-2009, 09:24:10 PM
Registered-III

I was going to contact Lynch and ask about progress, I know on his trips back and forth to see the boiler builder he has stopped at Portner's. Lynch told me some were Ames and some were an other make, some being lap-jointed and others buitt jointed construction but I forget which. I don't know anyone who worked on these stokers, most of the local short lines still used shovels until they went to diseasels. Most of my relatives or contacts were all yard workers, conductors, flue cleaners, blacksmiths, machinists etc. Now most of the shops in the Oneonta yard are gone, I think 5 out of 27 structures remain? It's like a ghost town, I'm only 40, amazing how fast things can change. The usual idea of jaded local history, they let the last 18 stalls of formerly the world's largest roundhouse be destroyed rather than preserve a "dirty" industry in what is now a college town, but got a grant for some artist to paint a mural of it downtown. This kind of thinking is why we are becoming a manufactured goods and food importing, raw goods exporting, colony, again.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:12:26 AM
Registered-II

Rene,

To bad about Oneonta. My son went to Hartwick and I was all excited to see what was left of the big rail complex out there. Unfortunatly not much!.

As for finding that St. Petersburgh newspaper article:

I do a lot of searches under Google Books. Sometimes you can find a full Preview of the article or book containing the subject you are looking for. Other times you can only get a partial or snippet view. If you get a snippet go to buy it. Then you will be directed by the CAT program to library collections that have the book or journal. If your lucky, they will have it in electronic format and available to view on-line. (I found two great 1921 vintage Lombard articles this way last night via the University of Michigain Library)

At the very least you will know where to find a hard copy and can ask your local library to get it on loan.

The key is to enter lots of diffrent key word combinations.

Gotta love the power of the internet!

P.S.
While you are up here be sure to visit the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington rail museum in Sheepscot.
http://www.wwfry.org/

They have some good steam stuff going-on.

Terry
The Following User Says Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 09:46:55 AM
Registered-II

Photo Re: Vintage Lombard Ad

Rene,

Below is an example of what I found using the above method.
Its an article that appeared in "The Motor Truck" March 1921. Cool!

Terry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1921 MOTOR TRUCK-1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	58285  
Old 07-10-2009, 11:45:51 AM
Subscriber

This thread shows some photos of steam log haulers and mentions Linn. There will be a steam log hauler at the Northcentral WI Antique Steam and gas engine show in Edgar WI Aug 28 -30. There is a small photo on the flyer. I'm not sure if its a linn or a Phoenix. Either way it will be fun to see one operating and get some photos and video.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grape For This Post:
Old 07-10-2009, 03:06:55 PM
Registered-II

Terry, Lombard really didn't retire at that time he actually still stayed on the board of directors as well as treasurer. Alvins brother Samual became president,and Alvins son-in-law George Vose became general manager. it is mentioned that"Alvin just wanted to go down to silver street and race horses with Sel Whitcomb".
Old 07-10-2009, 03:18:28 PM
Registered-II

terry, in 1926 , The Lombard Tractor and Truck Corporation was formed, the corp. Pres. S.T.Callaways address was 15 Broad Street New York City. The managers sent to Waterville Maine were A.G.Elvin and E.W.Englebright . Elvins brother invented the Elvin locomotive stoker, basically thats why they were called the Elvin Stoker people. Don
Old 07-10-2009, 03:40:10 PM
Registered-II

Grape, I'm sure the machine your talking about is the "PHOENIX" log hauler from the logging museum in Wabeno Wisconsin. If my memory doesn't fail me it was the old G.W.Jones machine that was used in that area. Don
Old 07-10-2009, 04:38:53 PM

Thanked 19,741 Times in 5,795 Posts

....... ....... http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20422
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post: